|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Tulliver wakes up, what does he tell Tom to do about the family's bankruptcy?
(a) Destroy Moss's note and pay Luke what is owed to him.
(b) Try to find a way to save the mill.
(c) Go back to school at all costs.
(d) Get a job working as a schoolmaster.
2. What character trait explains why Tom and Maggie won't take Bob's money?
3. While Mr. Tulliver is talking to Mr. Riley about Tom, what does he confide in Mr. Riley about Maggie?
(a) He fears that Maggie is sorry to see Tom go away to school.
(b) He fears that Maggie's cleverness leads to trouble when she grows up and becomes a woman.
(c) He fears that Maggie is popular with the boys when she is older.
(d) He fears that Maggie never wants to leave home because she is so close to her parents.
4. Why does Mrs. Tulliver panic when she cannot find Maggie?
(a) She thinks that Maggie runs away.
(b) She thinks that Maggie should apologize to Lucy.
(c) She thinks that Maggie is getting into trouble.
(d) She thinks that Maggie drowns in the pond.
5. Why does Maggie get angry with her aunts and uncles?
(a) They criticize the dishes and linens.
(b) They do not remember to bring the cousins.
(c) They fight over pieces of furniture.
(d) They scold and judge, but do not help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Riley recommend that Mr. Tulliver do about Tom's education?
2. What is Maggie shocked to notice after the sale?
3. Why does Mr. Tulliver change his mind about asking the Mosses to pay their debt?
4. What words does the narrator use to describe what she calls "the mental condition of these emmet-like Dodsons and Tullivers"?
5. What does the narrator think about the system of sending boys to study with independent schoolmasters, such as Mr. Stelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie think of Philip when she first meets him?
2. Why is Bob so determined to help Tom?
3. What kind of person is Mrs. Glegg?
4. Why are Stephen and Maggie so sure that they should not marry?
5. Maggie's and Tom's tombstone reads "In death they are not divided." What do you think that is supposed to mean?
6. Why do you think that Book Six ends with the chapter in which Maggie leaves Stephen and returns to St. Ogg's?
7. Why is Mr. Tulliver skeptical about Tom's plan to earn money by trading, in order to pay off the family debts?
8. Do you think that the narrator is favorably impressed with the religion of the Dodsons and the Tullivers? Why or why not?
9. What do you think horrifies Tom the most about Maggie meeting Philip, the fact that Philip is a hunchback, or that he is the son of Mr. Wakem? Why?
10. How does staying up late and talking to Lucy, during her first evening at Lucy's house, help Maggie to feel better?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)