|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Tulliver in such a bad mood at Christmas?
(a) He is upset because Maggie wants to go to school as well.
(b) He is upset about a farmer using the river to irrigate his crops.
(c) He is upset because Tom is not doing so well in his studies.
(d) He is upset because he is not getting along well with Mrs. Tulliver.
2. Why does Mr. Tulliver feel vindicated in his choice to send Tom to study with Mr. Stelling?
(a) Tom is doing very well in his studies and impressing those around him.
(b) Mr. Stelling is planning to open a school and admit even more students.
(c) Mr. Wakem, the lawyer, is sending his son to study with Mr. Stelling as well.
(d) The aunts and uncles come around and feel that Tom's education is important.
3. What does the narrator say is the prime moral value of the Dodsons?
(a) Revering what is customary and respectable.
(b) Delight in the goodness of life and of all human beings.
(c) Respect for life in all forms.
(d) Submission to the will of God.
4. What does Mr. Tulliver feel is his strongest reason for staying and working at the mill?
(a) He has no other job.
(b) His wife asks him to.
(c) He lives there all his life and loves it.
(d) He hopes to pay off his debts.
5. What causes Mr. Tulliver to wake up?
(a) He hears Tom opening his tin box of documents.
(b) He hears the family coming in to check on him.
(c) He hears the sound of Maggie's voice.
(d) He hears the family fighting about money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the news about the family finances shocks Mr. Tulliver the most when he first regains his senses after the accident?
2. How does Tom feel about the argument with Philip?
3. How does Maggie react to the aunt's criticism of her hair?
4. Why does Philip's deformity make Maggie feel more tender toward him?
5. How does Tom hurt his foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom.
2. Why does Tom try to convince Philip to come and see the sword demonstration?
3. Mr. Wakem at first reacts with violent opposition to Philip's proposal to marry Maggie, and then he changes his mind. Why do you think that he changes his mind?
4. Why is Mr. Tulliver so shocked not to be able to come up with a plan to come up with the money for his mortgage?
5. Why do you think that Book Six ends with the chapter in which Maggie leaves Stephen and returns to St. Ogg's?
6. The day that Tom comes home from school for the first time, what events occur that foreshadow the flood at the end of the book?
7. What do you think horrifies Tom the most about Maggie meeting Philip, the fact that Philip is a hunchback, or that he is the son of Mr. Wakem? Why?
8. Why does Mr. Tulliver feel that the river's water should not be diverted for purposes of irrigation?
9. Why does Lucy at first think that Stephen and Maggie do not like each other?
10. How does Maggie react when she realizes that she and Steven go too far in the boat?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)