|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Tom and Philip react when they first meet each other?
(a) They are instant enemies.
(b) They become friends immediately.
(c) They are shy and awkward with each other.
(d) They instantly start talking.
2. What does Mrs. Moss do when she arrives?
(a) She offers to let the family come and live with her.
(b) She asks what she can do to help make her brother more comfortable.
(c) She offers to buy some of the dishes and linens.
(d) She tells the family that her family owes Mr. Tulliver three hundred pounds.
3. What does the narrator say is the most accurate depiction of the religion of the Tullivers and the other people who live in the village of St. Ogg's?
4. Why does Maggie leap to Tom's defense while Mr. Tulliver discusses Tom's education with Mr. Riley?
(a) Mr. Tulliver says that if Tom is a miller, he turns Mr. Tulliver out of his own mill.
(b) Mr. Tulliver says that Tom is never likely to become much of a scholar.
(c) Mr. Tulliver says that he has something on his mind regarding Tom.
(d) Mr. Tulliver says that he does not mean for Tom to be a miller and a farmer.
5. Who is Mr. Tulliver planning to send away to school?
(a) His wife, Mrs. Tulliver.
(b) His daughter, Maggie.
(c) His son, Tom.
(d) His niece, Lucy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maggie nervous about seeing Tom when he comes home?
2. Why is it particularly bad timing for Mr. Tulliver to lose the lawsuit?
3. Why does Mr. Wakem decide to buy the mill?
4. Why does Mr. Tulliver agree to run the mill, even though Mr. Wakem now owns it ?
5. How does Mrs. Moss soften Mr. Tulliver's anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maggie's and Tom's tombstone reads "In death they are not divided." What do you think that is supposed to mean?
2. What does Lucy hope to accomplish by inviting Philip to her house?
3. Why do you think that Tom says he does not trust Maggie when it comes to Philip Wakem? Why does Maggie say that his lack of trust is unfair?
4. How does Maggie react when she realizes that she and Steven go too far in the boat?
5. How does Philip put Tom's mind at ease after the accident?
6. Why does Mr. Tulliver feel that the river's water should not be diverted for purposes of irrigation?
7. Why is Mr. Tulliver skeptical about Tom's plan to earn money by trading, in order to pay off the family debts?
8. How do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters react to the actions of the Tulliver children?
9. Why is Mr. Deane, at first, so unwilling to help Tom after Mr. Tulliver's accident?
10. How does Maggie feel about Tom after he pays off the family debts?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)