|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the prime moral value of the Dodsons?
(a) Revering what is customary and respectable.
(b) Respect for life in all forms.
(c) Submission to the will of God.
(d) Delight in the goodness of life and of all human beings.
2. Why does Philip's deformity make Maggie feel more tender toward him?
(a) She lacks confidence in her ability to inspire love in anyone who is not deformed.
(b) She likes to have her love appreciated by those who are not used to it.
(c) She feels sorry for Philip because he is made fun of in the past.
(d) She thinks the hunchback is very handsome.
3. Mr. Tulliver wakes up briefly to talk to Tom when Tom arrives home from Lorton. But what happens to him after that?
(a) He realizes that he is paralyzed from the waist down.
(b) He is fully restored to his senses.
(c) He has a premonition that he is going to die soon.
(d) He lapses back into a coma.
4. How does Maggie de-stress when she is frustrated?
(a) She goes fishing with Tom.
(b) She goes swimming in the Floss.
(c) She gets into some kind of mischief.
(d) She beats up an old wooden doll in the attic.
5. Why does Mrs. Glegg get angry with Mr. Glegg the morning after they come home from visiting the Tullivers?
(a) She feels that he does not do enough chores around the house.
(b) She feels he does not support her in the argument with Mr. Tulliver.
(c) She feels that he does not allow her to visit her sister often enough.
(d) She feels that he is not careful enough about money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Wakem ask Mr. Tulliver to run the mill?
2. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
3. How does Tom feel about the argument with Philip?
4. Why does Maggie dunk her head in a tub of water?
5. What does Tom think of Maggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maggie feel about Philip when she finally sees him again at her cousin Lucy's house?
2. How does Maggie feel when Philip declares his love for her?
3. What do you think horrifies Tom the most about Maggie meeting Philip, the fact that Philip is a hunchback, or that he is the son of Mr. Wakem? Why?
4. Why does Tom try to convince Philip to come and see the sword demonstration?
5. Why is Maggie having such a bad day on the day after the aunts and uncles come to dinner?
6. Why are Maggie and Philip a good match for each other?
7. Why is Mr. Tulliver skeptical about Tom's plan to earn money by trading, in order to pay off the family debts?
8. Why do you think that Bob and his wife choose to take Maggie in when she returns from her boat trip with Stephen?
9. Describe Maggie's childhood relationship with Tom.
10. What kind of person is Mrs. Moss?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)