|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Tulliver's main regret about his children?
(a) His children do not do chores around the house.
(b) His son, not his daughter, is most like him.
(c) His children do not get along with each other.
(d) His daughter, not his son, is most like him.
2. What does Maggie think of Tom's lessons with Mr. Stelling when she visits?
(a) She thinks that Tom's education is useless when he returns to St. Ogg's.
(b) She is delighted with the schoolwork and learns a lot herself while visiting.
(c) She hopes that Mr. Tulliver is happy with his investment in Tom's education.
(d) She is horrified by how hard Tom has to work in order to learn anything.
3. What causes Mr. Tulliver to wake up?
(a) He hears Tom opening his tin box of documents.
(b) He hears the family coming in to check on him.
(c) He hears the family fighting about money.
(d) He hears the sound of Maggie's voice.
4. How does the narrator say that Maggie looks compared to her cousin Lucy?
(a) Like a newly blossomed rose.
(b) Like a bright, sharp knife blade.
(c) Like a cold, clear shaft of ice.
(d) Like a rough, dark, overgrown puppy.
5. What is Maggie most shocked by when she arrives at home after accompanying Tom home from Lorton?
(a) Seeing her father still lying in bed, insensible.
(b) Learning that the family may have to go to a workhouse.
(c) Seeing her aunts buying the family linens.
(d) Hearing her mother criticize her father's actions and choices.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Tom and Philip become closer again for a little while while Tom is recovering from his injury?
2. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
3. Which part of the news about the family finances shocks Mr. Tulliver the most when he first regains his senses after the accident?
4. Why does Philip and Tom's relationship become strained?
5. What character trait explains why Tom and Maggie won't take Bob's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philip put Tom's mind at ease after the accident?
2. Why is Maggie having such a bad day on the day after the aunts and uncles come to dinner?
3. How does Tom feel about the family's bankruptcy?
4. Why is Mr. Tulliver so shocked not to be able to come up with a plan to come up with the money for his mortgage?
5. How does Maggie feel about Philip when she finally sees him again at her cousin Lucy's house?
6. What is Philip Wakem's reaction to meeting Tom?
7. What kind of person is Mrs. Glegg?
8. The day that Tom comes home from school for the first time, what events occur that foreshadow the flood at the end of the book?
9. Why do you think that Book Six ends with the chapter in which Maggie leaves Stephen and returns to St. Ogg's?
10. What do we learn about Tom's character from his response to the aunts and uncles after his father's accident?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)