|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Chapter 5 | Book 3: Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
(a) He inspires Tom because he is so advanced in his studies.
(b) He explains the connection between education and business to Tom.
(c) He becomes friends with Tom, who then wants to do the same things as Philip.
(d) He tells him stories of heros from classical mythology.
2. Why does Philip and Tom's relationship become strained?
(a) Tom makes fun of Philip's hunchback and insults his father.
(b) Tom and Philip both become interested in the same young woman.
(c) Tom and Philip fight over the mill's water rights.
(d) Philip makes fun of Tom's love of fishing and fighting.
3. Why is it particularly bad timing for Mr. Tulliver to lose the lawsuit?
(a) He is hoping to take out a second mortgage on his property.
(b) He has listed his household furniture as security to pay a debt.
(c) He hopes to be able to afford to keep Tom in school.
(d) He is just about to expand the mill.
4. Why does Mrs. Pullet want to intervene in the quarrel between Mrs. Glegg and Mr. Tulliver?
(a) She does not want people in town to hear that her family is quarreling over money.
(b) She hopes to borrow money from Mrs. Glegg herself.
(c) She does not like to have family members arguing with each other.
(d) Mrs. Tulliver asks her to intervene.
5. Why does Maggie get angry with her aunts and uncles?
(a) They criticize the dishes and linens.
(b) They fight over pieces of furniture.
(c) They scold and judge, but do not help.
(d) They do not remember to bring the cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Tom bring back for Maggie from school?
2. Why does Maggie dunk her head in a tub of water?
3. Why does Maggie come to get Tom at school during his last quarter at King's Lorton?
4. Why is it hard on Maggie to have her aunts and uncles and cousins come to visit?
5. How does Mrs. Glegg react to Mr. Tulliver's letter?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)