|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 13 | Book 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maggie run away to live with the gypsies?
(a) She wants to visit a friend who is a gypsy.
(b) She hopes the gypsies take her along when they leave town.
(c) She wants to buy something from the gypsies.
(d) She is often been told that she is wild like a gypsy.
2. Why is it hard on Maggie to have her aunts and uncles and cousins come to visit?
(a) Maggie does not like her aunts and uncles and cousins.
(b) Her cousin Lucy does not like to play with Maggie.
(c) Maggie wants to have Tom all to herself.
(d) Her cousin Lucy is much more docile and obedient than Maggie.
3. Why is Maggie not punished for her behavior after running away and coming home again?
(a) Tom feels so guilty about the way he treats Maggie that he decides not to tease her.
(b) The aunts and the uncles think Maggie is too wicked even to speak to about her behavior.
(c) Her mother is so upset after thinking Maggie drowns that she cannot bear to punish her.
(d) Her father forbids her mother and Tom to punish or reproach her.
4. Why does Mrs. Glegg get angry with Mr. Glegg the morning after they come home from visiting the Tullivers?
(a) She feels that he does not allow her to visit her sister often enough.
(b) She feels that he does not do enough chores around the house.
(c) She feels that he is not careful enough about money.
(d) She feels he does not support her in the argument with Mr. Tulliver.
5. What part of the book is introduced in the first chapter?
(a) The main characters.
(b) The theme.
(c) The plot.
(d) The setting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters tell Mr. Tulliver about the clergyman he plans to send Tom to study with?
2. What does Tom think of Maggie?
3. Why does Mrs. Tulliver panic when she cannot find Maggie?
4. What does the narrator say it means when a young boy appears sheepish?
5. Why do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters criticize Mr. Tulliver?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)