|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 13 | Book 2: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters tell Mr. Tulliver about the clergyman he plans to send Tom to study with?
(a) A local lawyer, Wakem, is also sending his son to the same clergyman.
(b) The clergyman recently stops taking students.
(c) There are recent improvements to the local school.
(d) Sending Tom to study with the clergyman is very expensive.
2. What part of the book is introduced in the first chapter?
(a) The plot.
(b) The setting.
(c) The main characters.
(d) The theme.
3. Why do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters criticize Mr. Tulliver?
(a) They think that he is not good at managing money.
(b) They are unimpressed with his parenting skills.
(c) They think that he is not very good looking.
(d) They do not think that he treats Mrs. Tulliver well.
4. Why does Maggie dunk her head in a tub of water?
(a) She is trying to make her mother think that she takes a bath.
(b) She is too hot and wants to cool off.
(c) She spills something on her hair.
(d) She does not want her mother to try to curl it.
5. Why does Maggie run away to live with the gypsies?
(a) She hopes the gypsies take her along when they leave town.
(b) She wants to visit a friend who is a gypsy.
(c) She wants to buy something from the gypsies.
(d) She is often been told that she is wild like a gypsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie discover when she finds the gypsies?
2. Why does Tom have a hard time at school with Mr. Stelling?
3. Why do Tom and his friend Bob fight?
4. Why does Mrs. Pullet want to intervene in the quarrel between Mrs. Glegg and Mr. Tulliver?
5. What does the narrator think of Mrs. Pullet's grief over old Mrs. Sutton's death?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)