|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Chapter 4 | Book 2: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think about the system of sending boys to study with independent schoolmasters, such as Mr. Stelling?
(a) She feels that girls should also go to school with independent schoolmasters.
(b) She approves of the individual attention that boys get from these teachers.
(c) She thinks it is wrong for boys to leave their homes to go to school.
(d) She thinks that it leaves a boy's education up to pure luck.
2. Why does Maggie leap to Tom's defense while Mr. Tulliver discusses Tom's education with Mr. Riley?
(a) Mr. Tulliver says that he does not mean for Tom to be a miller and a farmer.
(b) Mr. Tulliver says that Tom is never likely to become much of a scholar.
(c) Mr. Tulliver says that if Tom is a miller, he turns Mr. Tulliver out of his own mill.
(d) Mr. Tulliver says that he has something on his mind regarding Tom.
3. What happens to Maggie when she tries to hug Tom because she is so delighted by the music coming from the music box?
(a) Her mother praises Maggie for being so well behaved.
(b) Her uncle offers to play another tune on the music box.
(c) She gets in trouble for making him spill his cowslip wine.
(d) Tom hugs her back and forgives her for upsetting his house of cards.
4. How does Maggie react when Tom takes Lucy to the pond and tells Maggie not to come?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She begins to fight with Tom.
(c) She jumps into the pond.
(d) She pushes Lucy into the mud.
5. Why does Philip and Tom's relationship become strained?
(a) Tom and Philip fight over the mill's water rights.
(b) Philip makes fun of Tom's love of fishing and fighting.
(c) Tom and Philip both become interested in the same young woman.
(d) Tom makes fun of Philip's hunchback and insults his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think of Mrs. Pullet's grief over old Mrs. Sutton's death?
2. How does Tom feel about the argument with Philip?
3. Why does Mr. Tulliver want Tom to study drawing?
4. Why does Mrs. Tulliver panic when she cannot find Maggie?
5. Why is Maggie nervous about seeing Tom when he comes home?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)