|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Chapter 4 | Book 2: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Moss soften Mr. Tulliver's anger?
(a) She praises his son, Tom.
(b) She praises his daughter, Maggie.
(c) She reminds him of their childhood together.
(d) She offers him a piece of pie.
2. How does Mrs. Glegg react to Mr. Tulliver's letter?
(a) She stops speaking to the Tullivers.
(b) She goes directly to the Tulliver home to speak with Mr. Tulliver in person.
(c) She complains bitterly to her sisters about Mr. Tulliver.
(d) She considers taking the Tulliver children out of her will.
3. While Mr. Tulliver is talking to Mr. Riley about Tom, what does he confide in Mr. Riley about Maggie?
(a) He fears that Maggie's cleverness leads to trouble when she grows up and becomes a woman.
(b) He fears that Maggie never wants to leave home because she is so close to her parents.
(c) He fears that Maggie is popular with the boys when she is older.
(d) He fears that Maggie is sorry to see Tom go away to school.
4. Why does Maggie leap to Tom's defense while Mr. Tulliver discusses Tom's education with Mr. Riley?
(a) Mr. Tulliver says that he has something on his mind regarding Tom.
(b) Mr. Tulliver says that Tom is never likely to become much of a scholar.
(c) Mr. Tulliver says that if Tom is a miller, he turns Mr. Tulliver out of his own mill.
(d) Mr. Tulliver says that he does not mean for Tom to be a miller and a farmer.
5. Why does Mrs. Pullet want to intervene in the quarrel between Mrs. Glegg and Mr. Tulliver?
(a) Mrs. Tulliver asks her to intervene.
(b) She hopes to borrow money from Mrs. Glegg herself.
(c) She does not like to have family members arguing with each other.
(d) She does not want people in town to hear that her family is quarreling over money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom have a hard time at school with Mr. Stelling?
2. Why does looking at the new bonnet make Mrs. Tulliver and Mrs. Pullet so sad?
3. Why do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters criticize Mr. Tulliver?
4. Why does Mrs. Tulliver panic when she cannot find Maggie?
5. What does the narrator think of Mrs. Pullet's grief over old Mrs. Sutton's death?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)