|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Chapter 4 | Book 2: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters criticize Mr. Tulliver?
(a) They think that he is not very good looking.
(b) They do not think that he treats Mrs. Tulliver well.
(c) They think that he is not good at managing money.
(d) They are unimpressed with his parenting skills.
2. Why does Philip and Tom's relationship become strained?
(a) Tom makes fun of Philip's hunchback and insults his father.
(b) Tom and Philip both become interested in the same young woman.
(c) Tom and Philip fight over the mill's water rights.
(d) Philip makes fun of Tom's love of fishing and fighting.
3. How does Tom feel about the argument with Philip?
(a) He feels that he is never friends with Philip again.
(b) He does not see why they cannot just make it up.
(c) He resents Philip for being so far ahead of him in school.
(d) He hates Philip for being the son of Mr. Wakem.
4. How does Maggie react when Tom takes Lucy to the pond and tells Maggie not to come?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She begins to fight with Tom.
(c) She pushes Lucy into the mud.
(d) She jumps into the pond.
5. What do Mrs. Tulliver's sisters tell Mr. Tulliver about the clergyman he plans to send Tom to study with?
(a) The clergyman recently stops taking students.
(b) Sending Tom to study with the clergyman is very expensive.
(c) A local lawyer, Wakem, is also sending his son to the same clergyman.
(d) There are recent improvements to the local school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Riley recommend that Mr. Tulliver do about Tom's education?
2. Why does Tom have a hard time at school with Mr. Stelling?
3. While Mr. Tulliver is talking to Mr. Riley about Tom, what does he confide in Mr. Riley about Maggie?
4. How does Mrs. Moss soften Mr. Tulliver's anger?
5. What does the narrator think of Mrs. Pullet's grief over old Mrs. Sutton's death?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)