|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6: Chapter 6 | Book 6: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they finally meet again, what tool does Philip use to try to remind Maggie of their love for each other?
2. What is Mr. Tulliver's opinion of lawyers?
(a) He admires them and wants Tom to become one.
(b) He wishes that he can afford to hire one.
(c) He considers them to be rascals.
(d) He thinks that they are beneath his social station.
3. What is Philip's main drawback, from Tom's point of view?
(a) He already learns most of what Tom is studying.
(b) He is not a pleasant person to spend time with.
(c) He does not care for fishing.
(d) He is the son of Tom's father's enemy, Mr. Wakem.
4. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
(a) She wants to warn him that Maggie and Philip may still love each other.
(b) She wants to buy the mill herself and have her family run it.
(c) She wants to distract Maggie from Stephen.
(d) She wants to ask him if there is any chance of buying the mill.
5. What does Mr. Tulliver feel is his strongest reason for staying and working at the mill?
(a) He lives there all his life and loves it.
(b) He has no other job.
(c) His wife asks him to.
(d) He hopes to pay off his debts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Philip begin to play the piano badly?
2. Why does Mr. Tulliver feel vindicated in his choice to send Tom to study with Mr. Stelling?
3. How does Philip manage to get Tom excited about learning?
4. What words does the narrator use to describe what she calls "the mental condition of these emmet-like Dodsons and Tullivers"?
5. Which of the following character traits does the narrator feel is typical of the people of St. Ogg's?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)