|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6: Chapter 6 | Book 6: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words does the narrator use to describe what she calls "the mental condition of these emmet-like Dodsons and Tullivers"?
(a) Tempestuous flow of emotions.
(b) Foolish nonsense.
(c) Oppressive narrowness.
(d) Self-righteous indignation.
2. Which of the following character traits does the narrator feel is typical of the people of St. Ogg's?
3. What is Philip's main drawback, from Tom's point of view?
(a) He is the son of Tom's father's enemy, Mr. Wakem.
(b) He does not care for fishing.
(c) He is not a pleasant person to spend time with.
(d) He already learns most of what Tom is studying.
4. What does Mr. Tulliver feel is his strongest reason for staying and working at the mill?
(a) He lives there all his life and loves it.
(b) He hopes to pay off his debts.
(c) His wife asks him to.
(d) He has no other job.
5. What is Mr. Tulliver's opinion of lawyers?
(a) He wishes that he can afford to hire one.
(b) He admires them and wants Tom to become one.
(c) He thinks that they are beneath his social station.
(d) He considers them to be rascals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Tom and Philip react when they first meet each other?
2. How do Maggie and Stephen react to their growing interest in each other?
3. What does Mr. Tulliver force Tom to write on his own behalf in the Bible?
4. Why does Lucy have a confidential conversation with her father the same evening that Philip first comes to visit?
5. Why is Maggie admitted to society and invited to social events that are thought to be above her station?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)