|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which literary character does middle sister allude to when describing "armchair supporters" (112) of renouncers?
(a) Walter Mitty.
(b) Holden Caulfield.
(d) Anna Karenina.
2. Middle sister states that in her district, renouncers-of-the-state are viewed as what?
3. What kinds of abandoned buildings occupy the location called "the ten-minute area" (81)?
4. A group of how many girlfriends of paramilitaries approach middle sister one night at a bar, frightening her into politeness?
5. What kind of imaginary figure does chef address as he prepares meals?
(a) A cooking assistant.
(b) A cooking competition judge.
(c) A prospective customer.
(d) A fairy godmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Middle sister says that the milkman's communication with her nearly always consists of what?
2. What is middle sister's intention when she picks up the head of the animal in the ten-minute area?
3. What action does middle sister take when she hears the milkman make a veiled threat against maybe-boyfriend?
4. What entity or object is said to take a picture of middle sister near the top reservoir one day during a run?
5. When middle sister believes that the milkman has shown up outside of her college, she feels a "strange bodily sensation" (78) in which part of her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does middle sister discuss the activities that go on in the park where she likes to go for runs?
2. Which answers are said to be "acceptable" (72) when one is asked the color of the sky in middle sister's society?
3. Who is the milkman?
4. With which aspect of middle sister's habit of walking while reading does third brother-in-law take issue and why?
5. What truths does middle sister reveal to ma during their first conversation about the milkman?
6. Which character does middle sister suspect of having started a rumor about herself and an older man?
7. What horrific and significant event had occurred when middle sister was nine years old?
8. Describe an instance when sound is used to underscore a particular theme within Chapter 1.
9. What evidence does middle sister provide for her claim that third brother-in-law should have been designated as a "beyond-the-pale" (41) by now, but that he has not?
10. What action does middle sister perform "without a shake" for "the first time in ages" (165) when the real milkman drops her off at home and why?
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)