|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Andrei not marry Gabriela?
(a) He wants to wait until the country is calmer so they can have a proper wedding.
(b) He doesn't really love her.
(c) He doesn't believe that she really loves him.
(d) If Germany defeats Poland, having a radical Jewish husband will not be good for her.
2. Germans agreed to a prisoner exchange of _____ Pole(s) for _____ German(s).
3. What is Paul's son's name?
(a) Paul Jr.
4. What are Andrei and Chris debating in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(b) Who loves Gabriela more.
(c) How many soldiers the German army has.
(d) The fate of Poland.
5. What is Rabbi Solomon considered to be in Warsaw?
(a) A younger rabbi with a very modern approach to religion.
(b) The religious and political leader of the Jews.
(c) A crazy man who thinks he is a rabbi.
(d) The foremost Jewish scholar and religious leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rudolph Schreiker's official title?
2. How does Andrei provide Gabriela with an opportunity to escape Poland?
3. What is prohibited to Jews in Warsaw?
4. After all communication with the world is cut off, how does Chris send out his report?
5. Why is the elderly Goldman executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chris returns from covering the war on the eastern front, what does he discover?
2. Describe the three-pronged plan Brandel and the other leaders develop in Part 2, Chapter 6.
3. Who are the four leaders Brandel feels he can depend upon to help him unify the different Jewish factions?
4. Prior to coming to Warsaw, on what does Chis report, and how are his report received?
5. How does Deborah view her relationship with Chris?
6. Who in the novel keeps a journal, and why?
7. What does Rabbi Solomon counsel Alex Brandel to do, and why?
8. Who are Christopher De Monti and Ervin Rosenblum, and how do they know one another?
9. Who is Dr. Franz Koenig, and how does he feel about Dr. Paul Bronski?
10. As the preparation for the occupation of Warsaw continues, a truce is to be signed. What have the Germans agreed to exchange? What is discovered later about why the Germans even offered this exchange?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)