|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between what did the German bombs not discriminate?
(a) Women and soldiers.
(b) Military and civilian targets.
(c) Houses and churches.
(d) Children and soldiers.
2. When Ervin calls at the end of Part 1, Chapter 9, what news does he have?
(a) German troops are beginning to invade Poland.
(b) German troops are retreating.
(c) German troops are regrouping and it is unclear what they will do next.
(d) German troops are beginning to invade Russia.
3. What is Gabriela's relationship to Andrei?
(a) Andrei is Gabriela's boss.
(b) Gabriela is Andrei's boss.
(c) They are engaged in a love affair.
(d) They are cousins.
4. What is Paul's son's name?
(d) Paul Jr.
5. What is the poor section of Warsaw, to which the Jews have been relegated, called?
(a) The Ghetto.
(b) The Grotto.
(c) The slums.
(d) The hood.
6. When raiding homes in the ghetto, what does the Gestapo make residents do before they are shot?
(a) Beg for mercy.
(b) Shoot someone else.
(c) Dig their own graves.
(d) Renounce their religion.
7. Where do Alex Brandel and Andrei disagree in their discussion at the council meeting in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) Brandel believes Jews must leave Poland, while Andrei believes they should stay and fight for equality.
(b) Andrei believes Jews must leave Poland, while Brandel believes they should stay and fight for equality.
(c) Brandel believes Jews have created their current position by being submissive, while Andrei believes it was inevitable due to German political power.
(d) Andrei believes Jews have created their current position by being submissive, while Brandel believes it was inevitable due to German political power.
8. What is Gabriela's job?
(a) Teacher and translator.
(b) Assistant Dean.
(d) Cook's assistant.
9. What does Solomon counsel Brandel to do in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Treat others - even the Germans - how he wants to be treated.
(b) Have faith and remain a good Jew.
(c) Ask God for strength to fight the enemy.
(d) Gather church followers and train them to fight in the name of God.
10. Who is Max Kleperman?
(a) A Jewish politician.
(b) A Nazi spy.
(c) A Nazi soldier.
(d) A Jewish gangster.
11. What does Deborah worry will happen, due to her relationship with Chris?
(a) Her father will be mad.
(b) Their 'sin' will be punished by God.
(c) He will lose his job.
(d) He will be targeted more strongly by the Nazis.
12. Why is the elderly Goldman executed?
(a) He refuses to lie to Jews about where they are headed.
(b) He refuses to assist in moving all Jews to the ghetto and confiscating their property.
(c) He refuses to dig graves for the Nazis.
(d) He is caught speaking back to a Nazi general.
13. In an attempt to neutralize the militant efforts of Andrei, what does Paul Bronski offer Andrei if Andrei will disband his military resistance?
(a) More rations in the ghetto.
(b) An intervention by Koenig.
(c) An intervention by Koenig and more rations in the ghetto.
(d) The return of 100 Jewish prisoners.
14. What does Solomon have to say about Jewish persecution?
(a) Jews were persecuted in the past to pay for the world's sins.
(b) Jews have always been persecuted, and always will be.
(c) Jews have been persecuted enough in the past; it is not time to fight back.
(d) He refuses to comment on Jewish persecution.
15. What do Deborah, Brandel, and others do in preparation for total German occupation?
(a) Sew valuables into the lining of their clothing to hide them.
(b) Pack their belongings in preparation to leave in the night.
(c) Stock an underground bunker with supplies.
(d) Bury their valuables so the German soliers will not find them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brandel decide to move his wife and children?
2. What was Chris' father?
3. By the time Chris De Monti has returned from reporting on the Eastern Front, where is Ervin living?
4. Where is Franz Koenig's new office?
5. Andrei visits Paul Bronski in Part 2, Chapter 4 and tries to convince him of what?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)