|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chris De Monti introduces the subject of getting someone out of Poland, specifically a woman and children, how does Von Epp respond?
(a) He says it is impossible.
(b) He says it is suicide and refuses to discuss it any further.
(c) He says it can be done, but he is not sure how.
(d) He says it can be done, but for a high price.
2. Of what does Gabriela accuse the Archbishop of Warsaw?
(a) Stealing money from his brethren.
(b) Stealing food and water from his brethren.
(c) Speaking blasphemy.
(d) Defiling the meaning of Christianity.
3. Why does Brandel decide to move his wife and children?
(a) To be closer to Bathyran's operations.
(b) To set them up for escape later.
(c) To avoid having to move later when the Nazis take over his house.
(d) To bring them closer to food stores.
4. What is Gabriela's job?
(a) Cook's assistant.
(c) Teacher and translator.
(d) Assistant Dean.
5. How does Horst Von Epp do his job?
(a) He shoots anyone who does not respond to his demands immediately.
(b) He has a few drinks to help his creativity while writing speeches.
(c) He tries to match Jews up with jobs as similar to their previous careers as possible.
(d) He wines and dines foreign journalists.
6. Where do Alex Brandel and Andrei disagree in their discussion at the council meeting in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) Brandel believes Jews have created their current position by being submissive, while Andrei believes it was inevitable due to German political power.
(b) Andrei believes Jews have created their current position by being submissive, while Brandel believes it was inevitable due to German political power.
(c) Brandel believes Jews must leave Poland, while Andrei believes they should stay and fight for equality.
(d) Andrei believes Jews must leave Poland, while Brandel believes they should stay and fight for equality.
7. What does Brandel believe about his journal?
(a) It will be burned when he is done.
(b) It will get him in trouble.
(c) It may someday help his people.
(d) It will never be read.
8. What is the poor section of Warsaw, to which the Jews have been relegated, called?
(a) The Ghetto.
(b) The Grotto.
(c) The hood.
(d) The slums.
9. How is Paul Bronski's living situation different than most other Jews in Warsaw?
(a) He lives in an apartment instead of a house.
(b) He still lives with his family.
(c) He has already been moved by the Nazis, so the worst is over.
(d) He lives in a nice apartment outside of the ghetto.
10. What of Paul Bronski's does Dr. Franz Koenig covet?
(a) His wife.
(b) His position at the university.
(c) His fame.
(d) His political title.
11. How does Horst Von Epp personally feel about the policies of Nazism?
(a) He supports them fully.
(b) He feels they are hypocritical.
(c) He is averse to them.
(d) He supports only some.
12. What was Chris' father?
(a) A French Ambassador.
(b) An Italian Ambassador.
(c) An American businessman.
(d) An Italian Count.
13. Who is trying to unify the many Jewish factions in an all out attempt to resist Nazi restrictions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Paul Bronski.
(c) Alex Brandel.
(d) Franz Koenig.
14. In an attempt to neutralize the militant efforts of Andrei, what does Paul Bronski offer Andrei if Andrei will disband his military resistance?
(a) The return of 100 Jewish prisoners.
(b) An intervention by Koenig.
(c) An intervention by Koenig and more rations in the ghetto.
(d) More rations in the ghetto.
15. Where does Gabriela wait each night in hopes of Andrei returning to Warsaw?
(a) An underground bunker.
(b) The edge of town.
(c) Her room.
(d) Andrei's apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Horst Von Epp invites Chris out for dinner and a night of girls. What is Chris' response?
2. In Part 3, who is the new contact on the Aryan side for Andrei's make-shift army?
3. By the time Chris De Monti has returned from reporting on the Eastern Front, where is Ervin living?
4. What is Rabbi Solomon considered to be in Warsaw?
5. To what political party did Chris' father belong on which Chris later reported?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)