|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gabriela's relationship to Andrei?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) Gabriela is Andrei's boss.
(c) Andrei is Gabriela's boss.
(d) They are engaged in a love affair.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 13, Paul is caught between his wife's beliefs and _____________.
(a) His mother's demands.
(b) His son's beliefs.
(c) His wife's demands.
(d) Complying with the Nazis' demands.
3. From where is Hitler sending more Jews into the ghetto, causing overcrowding?
(a) Hungary and Austria.
(b) Russia and Austria.
(c) Germany and Austria.
(d) Germany and Hungary.
4. What is the relationship between Chris and Deborah?
(a) They work together.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are engaged in a love affair.
(d) They are friends.
5. What has happened to the farm at Wework by Part 3 of the novel?
(a) It has been raided.
(b) Someone has set fire to it.
(c) It is struggling to meet the supply need.
(d) It has grown and is producing more food than ever.
6. What was Chris' father?
(a) A French Ambassador.
(b) An Italian Ambassador.
(c) An American businessman.
(d) An Italian Count.
7. What is unique about the Poles sent for the prisoner exchange?
(a) They are already dead.
(b) They are all insane.
(c) They are all amputees.
(d) They are all very ill.
8. Part Two, Chapter 1 begins with a ________ by Brandel.
(c) Journal entry.
9. When Ervin calls at the end of Part 1, Chapter 9, what news does he have?
(a) German troops are beginning to invade Poland.
(b) German troops are beginning to invade Russia.
(c) German troops are retreating.
(d) German troops are regrouping and it is unclear what they will do next.
10. How do Franz Koenig and Paul Bronski know each other?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are colleagues.
(c) They used to play cards together.
(d) They went to school together.
11. With what does Brandel trust Solomon?
(a) The location of his underground bunker.
(b) An old family secret.
(c) The secret of his journals.
(d) The confession of a crime.
12. To what political party did Chris' father belong on which Chris later reported?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Socialist Party.
(d) The Fascist Party.
13. How does Horst Von Epp do his job?
(a) He tries to match Jews up with jobs as similar to their previous careers as possible.
(b) He has a few drinks to help his creativity while writing speeches.
(c) He wines and dines foreign journalists.
(d) He shoots anyone who does not respond to his demands immediately.
14. What does Solomon have to say about Jewish persecution?
(a) Jews have been persecuted enough in the past; it is not time to fight back.
(b) Jews have always been persecuted, and always will be.
(c) He refuses to comment on Jewish persecution.
(d) Jews were persecuted in the past to pay for the world's sins.
15. Who is David Zemba?
(a) The labor Zionist leader.
(b) Deborah's brother.
(c) A pianist and member of the Jewish Council.
(d) Director of the American Relief Society.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Paul's wife preparing their son?
2. To what position does Franz Koenig appoint Paul Bronski?
3. Who is Max Kleperman?
4. What is the first thing Schreiker requires the Jewish Civil Authority to do?
5. What physical feature primarily helps Andrei pass as an Aryan?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)