Part 1, Twilight, Chapters 1-5
• Christopher De Monti is a journalist from Switzerland, living in Warsaw. He reports on the war for his Swiss News Agency with his photographer, Ervin Rosenblum, a Polish Jew.
• It is 1939 and Nazi Germany has already overrun Austria and Czechoslovakia. Poles believe they are next.
• Dr. Paul Bronski, Dean of the College of Medicine at the University of Warsaw, has invited Chris to dinner at his home.
• Paul's wife Deborah practices her Jewish faith, unlike Paul, and has raised their two children in that manner.
• An additional dinner guest is Andrei Androfski, a Polish Army Captain and Deborah's brother.
• Paul has been drafted in the Polish forces.
• Dr. Franz Koenig is a German colleague of Paul's who attempts to hide his anti-Semitism but certainly not his dislike for Paul.
• Dinner at the Bronski's is not pleasant.
• Paul turns over all of his estate accounts...
This section contains 3,729 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)