|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the medical examiner say was Charlotte's cause of death?
2. What was the profession of the person who testified that Charlotte's medical history should have prevented her from participating in a home birth?
3. What did Connie initially think the investigator Hastings hired was?
4. What did Tanner say Sibyl should have done before there was a medical emergency?
5. Who testified that her personal belief was that home births are dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for the prosecution to make the point that Anne was an enthusiastic student who did not believe in interfering with birth unless absolutely necessary?
2. What was Connie's reaction to seeing the word "vagal" written on a conference room board at Hastings' place of business?
3. Why did Connie's reading the journal show the reader that her relationship with Sibyl had changed?
4. How did Anne's testimony make the jury begin to see Charlotte as a real person?
5. Why was the medical examiner's testimony particularly harmful to Sibyl's defense?
6. Why did many of Sibyl's clients attend the trial with their infants?
7. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
8. Why did Hastings want a jury full of older women?
9. Why did Tanner depict Charlotte as a frail woman?
10. Why was Hastings' cross-examination of the midwife turned Ob-Gyn important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Hastings' defense of Sibyl like? What tactics does he use? Which methods seem effective, and which do not? Why did Connie have such a strong reaction to the word "vagal"? How was it important in Sibyl's trial?
Essay Topic 2
How is the motif of childbirth portrayed in Midwives? Which characters are comfortable with childbirth? Which characters are not? Do any of the characters change in their views toward childbirth by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Connie react to Sibyl and Hastings' relationship in the way she did? Is her view of the relationship reliable? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)