|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the coroner testify that Sibyl had done?
2. What kind of jury did Hastings want?
3. What did the medical examiner say he found in Charlotte's abdomen?
4. What did the autopsy report reveal was the cause of Charlotte's death?
5. During what month did the Danforth's wait to learn what the charges against Sibyl would be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hastings involve blood evidence and home birth experts before Sibyl was even charged?
2. Why did Tanner say that Sibyl should have called an ambulance toward the beginning of the delivery?
3. What was significant about the manner in which Sibyl stitched Charlotte's body?
4. Why did Connie continue to read other entries in Sibyl's journal after reading the one she found the notebook opened to?
5. Why did Sibyl refuse to accept any possible settlements that might be offered?
6. What realization did Connie come to while she was watching the goings on in the court during the jury selection?
7. Why was the medical examiner's testimony particularly harmful to Sibyl's defense?
8. Why was Hastings' cross-examination of the midwife turned Ob-Gyn important?
9. Why was it important for the prosecution to make the point that Anne was an enthusiastic student who did not believe in interfering with birth unless absolutely necessary?
10. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Connie react to Sibyl and Hastings' relationship in the way she did? Is her view of the relationship reliable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sibyl choose to refuse any settlement agreements? What does this reveal about her? How does her decision affect Connie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism in Midwives. What symbols are present in the novel? What does each stand for?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)