|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of student was Anne Austin described as?
2. What did the midwife turned Ob-Gyn say Sibyl had successfully treated for Charlotte during her pregnancy?
3. What did Sibyl try to do after delivering Charlotte's baby?
4. In Chapter 12, how many years in prison does Connie say Sibyl could have been sentenced to?
5. What did Connie discover her father was doing before the trial began?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sibyl refuse to accept any possible settlements that might be offered?
2. Why did Connie's reading the journal show the reader that her relationship with Sibyl had changed?
3. Why did the prosecutor put the state trooper on the stand to testify?
4. Why was the medical examiner's testimony particularly harmful to Sibyl's defense?
5. Why did Sibyl and Rand allow Connie to attend the trial?
6. Why did Hastings say that Asa could not possibly have seen the blood arch coming from Charlotte's abdomen?
7. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
8. Why was it important for the prosecution to make the point that Anne was an enthusiastic student who did not believe in interfering with birth unless absolutely necessary?
9. What was significant about the manner in which Sibyl stitched Charlotte's body?
10. How did Anne's testimony make the jury begin to see Charlotte as a real person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the state's case seem to be driven by prejudice in the medical community? What evidence of this prejudice is there? How does Sibyl feel about the medical community? Are her feelings justified?
Essay Topic 2
What point-of-view is the story told in? Why did the author choose this point-of-view? Is the use of this point-of-view successful or might another have worked better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What tone is set for the novel in the very first section of the book? What does the author do to set the tone? Does the book progress using the same tone throughout, or does it change at some point?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)