|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Stephen give for Asa's inability to see an arch of blood?
2. When did Hastings' opening remarks begin?
3. What date was referenced in Sibyl's notebook that caused Connie to read further?
4. What was the name given to the baby Sibyl delivered from Charlotte's womb?
5. Who did the state call as their first witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anne's testimony make the jury begin to see Charlotte as a real person?
2. Why did Connie seem concerned about the relationship between Sibyl and Hastings?
3. Why was the medical examiner's testimony particularly harmful to Sibyl's defense?
4. Why did Hastings involve blood evidence and home birth experts before Sibyl was even charged?
5. What was Connie's reaction to seeing the word "vagal" written on a conference room board at Hastings' place of business?
6. Why did Tanner depict Charlotte as a frail woman?
7. Why was Hastings' cross-examination of the midwife turned Ob-Gyn important?
8. Why did Connie continue to read other entries in Sibyl's journal after reading the one she found the notebook opened to?
9. What realization did Connie come to while she was watching the goings on in the court during the jury selection?
10. Why did Sibyl and Rand allow Connie to attend the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tone is set for the novel in the very first section of the book? What does the author do to set the tone? Does the book progress using the same tone throughout, or does it change at some point?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sibyl choose to refuse any settlement agreements? What does this reveal about her? How does her decision affect Connie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism in Midwives. What symbols are present in the novel? What does each stand for?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)