|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the mothers of some of Connie's friends reluctant to let their children play with her?
2. How many events does Sibyl's attorney say it took to lead to Charlotte's death?
3. What was Sibyl preparing to do when she was informed about Charlotte's labor?
4. What is the name of the Bedfords' son?
5. Who was Sibyl's backup physician?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sibyl expect from Charlotte's birth experience when she first got there?
2. Why did other people find the words that Connie used as a child strange and uncomfortable?
3. Why was Connie upset when she saw Stephen Hastings joking with the prosecutor and judge?
4. How did Stephen Hastings describe Charlotte's death?
5. Why was Connie able to go looking for Tom Cort on the afternoon he first kissed her?
6. Why was Anne's claim that Charlotte bled in an arch when Sibyl cut into her significant?
7. What events occurred that prevented Sibyl from getting Charlotte the medical help she needed?
8. Why was Sibyl's appearance after Charlotte's death shocking to Connie?
9. How did the hippie movement, of which Sibyl became a part, influence her decision to become a midwife?
10. What is the difference between Connie's profession and her mother's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Hastings' defense of Sibyl like? What tactics does he use? Which methods seem effective, and which do not? Why did Connie have such a strong reaction to the word "vagal"? How was it important in Sibyl's trial?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence is there that Connie's relationship with her mother changes as the story progresses? Why does the relationship change? What is the state of Connie's relationship with her mother before Sibyl's death?
Essay Topic 3
How is the motif of childbirth portrayed in Midwives? Which characters are comfortable with childbirth? Which characters are not? Do any of the characters change in their views toward childbirth by the end of the novel?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)