|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited Connie in Chapter 8?
2. During Charlotte's labor, who did Sibyl send to be with her until Sibyl could get there?
3. In Chapter 7, what was Connie doing when a police officer arrived at their house?
4. What did Connie spend most of her time doing the spring Charlotte's family came?
5. Who was with Sibyl and her friend who went into labor during the party while the woman labored?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Connie first hear about Charlotte's death?
2. What made Sibyl believe it was safe to go on with the delivery after she went out to warm up her car?
3. What was Rand's reaction when Sibyl decided to provide the officer with a signed statement?
4. Why did other people find the words that Connie used as a child strange and uncomfortable?
5. How did the hippie movement, of which Sibyl became a part, influence her decision to become a midwife?
6. How did Stephen Hastings describe Charlotte's death?
7. Why did Stephen Hastings bring a photographer to take pictures of Sibyl?
8. What did Sibyl expect from Charlotte's birth experience when she first got there?
9. Why did Sibyl agree to give the police officer who came to the Danforth home a statement without a lawyer present?
10. How did Asa react to Sibyl's decision to perform a C-section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Sibyl charged with manslaughter? How does Charlotte's death fit the definition of manslaughter? What defense does Stephen Hastings use? Is his defense reasonable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Connie react to Sibyl and Hastings' relationship in the way she did? Is her view of the relationship reliable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the motif of childbirth portrayed in Midwives? Which characters are comfortable with childbirth? Which characters are not? Do any of the characters change in their views toward childbirth by the end of the novel?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)