|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What needs did Sibyl attend to for her clients?
2. Who visited Connie in Chapter 8?
3. Where did Charlotte experience pain during labor?
4. What complaint did Rand have about Sibyl's job?
5. Why was Connie with her mother when Connie saw her first childbirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Sibyl believe it was safe to go on with the delivery after she went out to warm up her car?
2. What did Sibyl expect from Charlotte's birth experience when she first got there?
3. What events occurred that prevented Sibyl from getting Charlotte the medical help she needed?
4. Why did Sibyl ask Asa to bring her a sharp knife?
5. What is the difference between Connie's profession and her mother's?
6. How did Stephen Hastings describe Charlotte's death?
7. Why was Connie upset when she saw Stephen Hastings joking with the prosecutor and judge?
8. How did Sibyl's first experience with childbirth influence her decision to become a midwife?
9. Why did the men at the party go on foot to find a telephone when the woman went into labor?
10. What caused Sibyl to believe it might have finally been time to take Charlotte to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the state's case seem to be driven by prejudice in the medical community? What evidence of this prejudice is there? How does Sibyl feel about the medical community? Are her feelings justified?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism in Midwives. What symbols are present in the novel? What does each stand for?
Essay Topic 3
What is Hastings' relationship with Sibyl like? What does he do that reveals he has stronger feelings for Sibyl? Why are his feelings toward Sibyl important? How do they affect the plot?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)