|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of the day did Charlotte go into labor?
2. Who visited Connie in Chapter 8?
3. What town was Stephen Hastings from?
4. What did Connie see Stephen doing with the prosecutor and judge during Sibyl's trial?
5. Who claimed that Charlotte bled in an arch when Sibyl cut her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the men at the party go on foot to find a telephone when the woman went into labor?
2. Why was Anne's claim that Charlotte bled in an arch when Sibyl cut into her significant?
3. What was Rand's reaction when Sibyl decided to provide the officer with a signed statement?
4. What is the difference between Connie's profession and her mother's?
5. What made Sibyl believe it was safe to go on with the delivery after she went out to warm up her car?
6. Why was Sibyl's appearance after Charlotte's death shocking to Connie?
7. What was Sibyl's first experience with childbirth?
8. How did Rand feel about Sibyl's profession and why did he feel that way?
9. How did Stephen Hastings describe Charlotte's death?
10. What was Connie's first experience with childbirth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Rand affected by Sibyl's relationship? What impact does it have on him as a father? As a husband? As a person?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the state's case seem to be driven by prejudice in the medical community? What evidence of this prejudice is there? How does Sibyl feel about the medical community? Are her feelings justified?
Essay Topic 3
How is the motif of childbirth portrayed in Midwives? Which characters are comfortable with childbirth? Which characters are not? Do any of the characters change in their views toward childbirth by the end of the novel?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)