Prologue and Part 1: Chapters 1-3
1. How old was Connie the year her mother was charged with the death of a client?
2. What season was it when Sibyl was charged with Charlotte's death?
3. In the prologue, what was Connie doing when the jury returned to the courtroom?
(a) Attending school.
(d) Sitting in the hallway.
4. Why did Connie become hysterical when the jury returned to the courtroom?
(a) They were laughing.
(b) They wouldn't look at her mother.
(c) They glared at her mother.
(d) Some of them were crying.
5. What did Connie remember was odd about the words she used as a young child?
(a) They made her mother angry.
(b) They were not in English.
(c) The other children knew them too.
(d) They were words people don't use in polite conversation.
6. Why were the mothers of some of Connie's friends reluctant to let their children play with her?
(a) Because Connie was not very nice.
(b) Because Connie's family was poor.
(c) Because her mother was a midwife.
(d) Because they were afraid of Connie.
This section contains 4,541 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)