Prologue and Part 1: Chapters 1-3
• In the Prologue, Connie is fourteen and watching as the jury returns to the courtroom to deliver the verdict in her mother's trial.
• Sibyl has been charged in the death of a client of her midwife practice.
• Connie becomes hysterical when no one will look at her mother, leading her to believe her mother will be convicted.
• Connie recalls frequently hearing, and therefore using, words like vulva as a young child, which are not used in polite conversation.
• The mothers of Connie's friends were sometimes reluctant to let their children play with Connie because of Sibyl's profession.
• Connie saw her first childbirth at age seven or eight when her mother had to take her along on a delivery because no babysitter was available.
• Connie describes the spring when she was twelve and the Bedfords moved to Vermont.
• Connie had a crush on a...
This section contains 1,798 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)