|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What endeavor is the banker sponsoring?
2. Who is the cosigner for one of Fred's debts?
3. The men on the board of the hospital meet to vote on the new chaplain. The vote is a tie between which characters?
4. Will and Adolf convince Dorothea and Casaubon to do what?
5. Why does Sir James Chettam come to the dinner party at Tipton Grange?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. Brooke and Casaubon feel about Ladislaw in Chapter 37?
2. What do Fred and Peter Stonehouse fight about?
3. What are the objections that the men of Middlemarch express about the way Lydgate practices medicine?
4. Why does Mrs. Vincy encourage Rosamond to go to Stone Court more often?
5. Why does Lydgate visit Lowick in Chapter 42?
6. What do Dorothea and Will talk about during Will's visit?
7. Why does Casaubon propose to Dorothea?
8. Casaubon admits to himself that he chose to marry Dorothea for what reasons?
9. What happens as Mr. Brooke and Dorothea are touring Tipton?
10. How does the situation of the Garth family change in Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Casaubon and Ladislaw. How are they described? What imagery is associated with each of them? Without knowing their characters well, what would these factors tell you about each character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Both Rosamond and Dorothea rebel against their husbands but in very different ways. Compare their characters. How are their methods of rebellion different? Does their rebellion get equal results, or is one more effective than the other at circumventing her husband's wishes? How does their rebellion affect the way they are seen by the community? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Imagine if the characters of "Middlemarch" lived today. Choose one character. How would their life be different? What place in society would they occupy? Do you think their story would have ended differently? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)