|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 23 begins Book Three. What is the title of this book?
2. What does Sir Chettam offer to Dorothea as a gift?
3. What position does Farebrother hold in town?
4. Whom does Mr. Brooke hire to write his speeches?
5. What does Will want to do in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the reading of the will, how does Mr. Vincy feel about Rosamond's marrying Lydgate?
2. What are the gossiping women of Middlemarch saying about Rosamond in Chapter 31?
3. Describe Lydgate's role in the appointment of the new chaplain.
4. How do Lydgate and Rosamond, respectively, feel about marriage after their dinner together in Chapter 16?
5. Casaubon admits to himself that he chose to marry Dorothea for what reasons?
6. Summarize Lydgate's background.
7. How do Mr. Brooke and Casaubon feel about Ladislaw in Chapter 37?
8. What are the reasons Mary Garth gives Fred for refusing to marry him? What is Fred's response?
9. What happens on the night of Featherstone's death?
10. How is Dorothea when she returns from her honeymoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine if the characters of "Middlemarch" lived today. Choose one character. How would their life be different? What place in society would they occupy? Do you think their story would have ended differently? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dorothea and Celia Brooke. What are their main qualities? How does each fit into the role of a Victorian woman? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In the prologue, the author begins by relating the tale of St. Theresa. As the main character of the novel, what resemblance does Dorothea bear to this saint? Is it an appropriate comparison? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)