|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business made Bulstrode rich?
(a) Horse racing.
(b) Real estate.
(c) Being a pawnbroker.
(d) Being an art dealer.
2. Who decides to pay off Lydgate's debt to Bulstrode?
(a) Will Ladislaw.
(d) Mr. Vincy.
3. What do the ladies of Middlemarch say about Rosamond?
(a) She is trying to maintain a lifestyle her husband cannot support.
(b) Her expectations are reasonable, and Lydgate should work harder to meet them.
(c) She is a spoiled brat.
(d) She should get a job if she wants nice things.
4. Dorothea is saddened by Casaubon's will because she hoped that what would happen?
(a) All of his estate would go to charity.
(b) Dorothea would inherit all of Casaubon's estate with no stipulations.
(c) Half of Casaubon's estate would go to Ladislaw.
(d) Half of his estate would go to Celia.
5. What does Mrs. Cadwallader want Dorothea to do in the wake of Casaubon's death?
(a) Get remarried soon.
(b) Get an education.
(c) Go to work.
(d) Travel abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. To celebrate briefly being out of debt, Rosamond does what?
2. When Lydgate asks Bulstrode for a loan, what is Bulstrode's response?
3. Rosamond insisted on having what items, putting Lydgate in debt as a result?
4. When Rosamond and Lydgate argue over her actions, what does she tell Lydgate?
5. What does Rosamond do in Chapter 58 against her husband's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosamond keep her home from being sold?
2. What is Mrs. Cadwallader's advice to mourning Dorothea?
3. What does Dorothea pledge to Lydgate at the beginning of Chapter 76?
4. What happens between Bulstrode and Ladislaw in Chapter 61?
5. What are Dorothea's plans for the future in Chapter 55?
6. Summarize the rest of Dorothea and Ladislaw's life together.
7. What is the Chettams' response to news of Dorothea's impending marriage?
8. What does the narrator say in describing Dorothea's character?
9. How does Rosamond lose her baby?
10. What happens when Dorothea goes to visit Rosamond?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)