|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has the tie breaking vote for the chaplain's appointment?
(a) Mr. Brooke.
2. What does Mr. Brooke show Dorothea upon her return to Tipton?
(a) An injury.
(b) A letter.
(c) Plans for a house.
(d) His new horse.
3. What business does Mr. Brooke purchase?
(a) A general store.
(b) A bank.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A haberdashery.
4. Why does Sir James Chettam come to the dinner party at Tipton Grange?
(a) To discuss business with Mr. Brooke.
(b) To court Celia.
(c) To steal from the Brookes.
(d) To court Dorothea.
5. Who is the cosigner for one of Fred's debts?
(a) Mr. Garth.
(c) Mr. Vincy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Brooke hire to write his speeches?
2. Who seeks out Lydgate at the beginning of Chapter 43?
3. In the Prelude, the author describes the life of what saint?
4. What about Lydgate is seen as scandalous by the other doctors in Middlemarch?
5. Chapter 15 provides a brief biography of which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Ladislaw give Naumann for being tired of art lessons?
2. Why does the author choose to write this novel?
3. Compare and contrast the Brooke sisters.
4. Describe Lydgate's role in the appointment of the new chaplain.
5. Describe how Dorothea, Mr. Brooke, and Celia, respectively, feel about Dorothea's engagement to Casaubon.
6. What causes Rosamond to wonder if she should be jealous of Lydgate's meeting with Dorothea?
7. Casaubon admits to himself that he chose to marry Dorothea for what reasons?
8. Summarize Lydgate's background.
9. What happens when Sir Chettam goes to see Mr. Cadwallader?
10. What does Rosamond admire about Lydgate?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)