|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Farebrother reveals that Fred plans to study to become what?
2. Why does Chettam recommend Lydgate to Dorothea?
(a) He has a vested interest in Lydgate's success.
(b) He feels a brotherly sympathy for Dorothea.
(c) Lydgate pays him for referrals.
(d) He likes Casaubon and pities him.
3. Though he does not pursue a career in it, Will admires which subject?
4. What will make Dorothea feel better?
(a) Being home.
(b) Going to a spa.
(c) Talking to a clergyman.
(d) Spending a week in the hospital.
5. Lydgate compares himself to physicians of old who did what?
(a) Exhumed corpses to study anatomy.
(b) Refused to treat poor patients.
(c) Dissected animals.
(d) Used unsterilized instruments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Caleb Vincy is what relation of Fred?
2. While Dorothea was away in Rome, what happened to her sister Celia?
3. Lydgate's reputation is bolstered when his medical advice is sought by whom?
4. In the opening chapters, what is Dorothea's charitable project?
5. Whom does Mr. Brooke hire to write his speeches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Vincys get a new family doctor?
2. What happens on the night of Featherstone's death?
3. Why does Mrs. Vincy encourage Rosamond to go to Stone Court more often?
4. How does the situation of the Garth family change in Chapter 40?
5. How is Dorothea when she returns from her honeymoon?
6. After the reading of the will, how does Mr. Vincy feel about Rosamond's marrying Lydgate?
7. What happens when Sir Chettam goes to see Mr. Cadwallader?
8. What is the purpose of Dorothea's first visit to Lowick? What happens there?
9. Summarize Lydgate's background.
10. Why does Lydgate visit Lowick in Chapter 42?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)