|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the gossiping women visit Rosamond?
(a) To tell her Fred is in jail.
(b) To ask her advice.
(c) To urge her to marry Lydgate.
(d) To urge her not to marry Lydgate.
2. Lydgate compares himself to physicians of old who did what?
(a) Dissected animals.
(b) Refused to treat poor patients.
(c) Exhumed corpses to study anatomy.
(d) Used unsterilized instruments.
3. The author compares the deceased's relatives to what animals?
4. Dorothea and Casaubon argue over what in Chapter 19?
(a) Dorothea's role in their marriage.
(b) Financial issues.
(c) Whether to have children.
(d) How long to stay in Rome.
5. Naumann is introduced in Chapter 19. Who is he?
(a) Casaubon's colleague.
(b) Casaubon's student.
(c) Dorothea's chauffeur.
(d) Will's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, who is appointed chaplain?
2. Though he does not pursue a career in it, Will admires which subject?
3. What endeavor is the banker sponsoring?
4. Why does Mr. Brooke disapprove of Dorothea's engagement to Casaubon?
5. What was Casaubon and Dorothea's first argument about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Casaubon admits to himself that he chose to marry Dorothea for what reasons?
2. Why is Dorothea saddened while on her honeymoon?
3. What happens on the night of Featherstone's death?
4. What are the reasons Mary Garth gives Fred for refusing to marry him? What is Fred's response?
5. Why does Lydgate visit Lowick in Chapter 42?
6. After the reading of the will, how does Mr. Vincy feel about Rosamond's marrying Lydgate?
7. Describe how Dorothea, Mr. Brooke, and Celia, respectively, feel about Dorothea's engagement to Casaubon.
8. How does the situation of the Garth family change in Chapter 40?
9. Why do the Vincys get a new family doctor?
10. Summarize Lydgate's background.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)