|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 16, the people of Middlemarch are gossiping about the appointment of a _________ for the new hospital.
(b) Head nurse.
(c) Head surgeon.
2. What endeavor is the banker sponsoring?
(a) A community theatre.
(b) A new hospital.
(c) A school.
(d) The mayor's campaign.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 4, from where are Dorothea and Celia returning?
(a) The bank.
(b) The market.
(c) A visit to Sir Chettam's estate.
(d) A visit to Edward Casaubon's estate.
4. What about Lydgate is seen as scandalous by the other doctors in Middlemarch?
(a) His level of care.
(b) His desire to autopsy corpses.
(c) The shabbiness of his office.
(d) His lack of thorough examination.
5. To pay off his debts, Fred decides to sell what?
6. Who asks Bulstrode to try to convince Lydgate not to marry Rosamond?
(c) Mrs. Bulstrode.
(d) Mary Garth.
7. Why does Mr. Brooke refuse to talk politics with his guest?
(a) His guest is lower-class.
(b) His guest is a woman.
(c) His guest is rude.
(d) His guest is uneducated.
8. Dorothea chooses a room at Lowick that used to belong to which relative of Casaubon?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His sister.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
9. What is Bulstrode's occupation?
10. To whom does Lydgate announce his marriage plans?
(b) Sir Chettam.
(d) Mr. Brooke.
11. What will make Dorothea feel better?
(a) Going to a spa.
(b) Spending a week in the hospital.
(c) Talking to a clergyman.
(d) Being home.
12. The dinner party guests question Mr. Brooke about his endorsement of which new professional in town?
(a) The mayor.
(b) A banker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
13. What do the other doctors in Middlemarch do to earn extra money, which Lydgate refuses to do?
(a) Write articles for questionable publications.
(b) Experiment on human test subjects.
(c) Prescribe unnecessary medications.
(d) Practice veterinary medicine.
14. What happens to Fred after he visits Mary?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He gets robbed.
(c) He gets injured.
(d) He dies.
15. Whom does Mr. Brooke hire to write his speeches?
(d) Will Ladislaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is concerned for Dorothea's health?
2. Will Ladislaw is what relation of Casaubon?
3. What business does Mr. Brooke purchase?
4. What is the relationship between Edward Casaubon and Dorothea Brooke?
5. Where does Mrs. Garth get the money to cover Fred's debt?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)