|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Vincys change their family doctor?
(a) A move.
(b) A misdiagnosis.
(c) A lawsuit.
(d) A recommendation.
2. What endeavor is the banker sponsoring?
(a) A school.
(b) A new hospital.
(c) A community theatre.
(d) The mayor's campaign.
3. By the end of Chapter 21, what is Edward's primary emotion regarding Will?
4. Where does Mary want to work?
(a) At an all-girls school.
(b) At a hospital.
(c) As a nanny.
(d) As a seamstress.
5. Mary Garth is what to Peter Featherstone?
6. Chapter 15 provides a brief biography of which character?
7. Farebrother reveals that Fred plans to study to become what?
8. The dinner party guests question Mr. Brooke about his endorsement of which new professional in town?
(a) The mayor.
(b) A banker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
9. Who is the sole inheritor of Stone Court?
(a) Fred Vincy.
(b) Will Ladislaw.
(c) Joshua Rigg.
10. Who delivers the letter to Featherstone?
11. What about Lydgate is seen as scandalous by the other doctors in Middlemarch?
(a) The shabbiness of his office.
(b) His level of care.
(c) His desire to autopsy corpses.
(d) His lack of thorough examination.
12. How does Featherstone feel about Mary giving up her savings?
(a) He thinks she should stop being so selfless.
(b) He admires her kindness.
(c) He feels guilty for not loaning Fred the money himself.
(d) He envies her charitable spirit.
13. What does Will want to do in the future?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Travel abroad.
(c) Learn a trade.
(d) Become a nobleman.
14. What do the other doctors in Middlemarch do to earn extra money, which Lydgate refuses to do?
(a) Write articles for questionable publications.
(b) Experiment on human test subjects.
(c) Prescribe unnecessary medications.
(d) Practice veterinary medicine.
15. Where is Dorothea at the beginning of Chapter 39?
(c) Stone Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Chettam offer to Dorothea as a gift?
2. Why does Mr. Brooke disapprove of Dorothea's engagement to Casaubon?
3. What position does Farebrother hold in town?
4. What does Mr. Brooke show Dorothea upon her return to Tipton?
5. To pay off his debts, Fred decides to sell what?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)