|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other doctors in Middlemarch do to earn extra money, which Lydgate refuses to do?
(a) Practice veterinary medicine.
(b) Write articles for questionable publications.
(c) Prescribe unnecessary medications.
(d) Experiment on human test subjects.
2. Where is Lydgate at the beginning of Chapter 42?
(d) Stone Court.
3. Where does Casaubon live?
(c) Stone Court.
(d) Tipton Grange.
4. Whom does Mr. Lydgate admire?
(b) Mary Garth.
(c) Rosamond Vincy.
5. How does Dagley react to inquiries about his son?
(a) He hires Mr. Brooke for a job.
(b) He gives Mr. Brooke a piece of his mind.
(c) He offers to work for Mr. Brooke.
(d) He thanks Mr. Brooke for his interest.
6. What is Bulstrode's occupation?
7. Dorothea is awed and intimidated by what characteristic of Casaubon?
(a) His intellect.
(b) His heritage.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His size.
8. What does Mrs. Vincy hope Fred will do?
(a) Travel abroad.
(b) Go into politics.
(c) Inherit Stone Court.
(d) Become a doctor.
9. What feminine pastime does Dorothea deem wasteful?
(a) Horseback riding.
10. Will and Adolf convince Dorothea and Casaubon to do what?
(a) Loan them money.
(b) Sit for a portrait.
(c) Go with them to France.
(d) End their honeymoon early.
11. Chapter 23 begins Book Three. What is the title of this book?
(a) "In Joy and Sorrow."
(b) "'Til Death Do Us Part."
(c) "For Richer or Poorer."
(d) "Waiting for Death."
12. Lydgate and Rosamond agree that one of the drawbacks of living in a rural area is that there are so few good:
13. Dorothea chooses a room at Lowick that used to belong to which relative of Casaubon?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His sister.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
14. Casaubon spends most of his honeymoon doing what?
15. Where is the funeral service held?
(a) Stone Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the gossiping women visit Rosamond?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 16, the people of Middlemarch are gossiping about the appointment of a _________ for the new hospital.
3. What does Sir Chettam offer to Dorothea as a gift?
4. Who has the tie breaking vote for the chaplain's appointment?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 33?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)