|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rutherford observes the condition of the slaves, what does he decide about Captain Falcon?
2. How did Cringle wind up as part of the Republic's crew?
3. What does Rutherford do after Squibb finishes bleeding him?
4. After going into the water, on what does Rutherford rely to keep him afloat?
5. Before Reverend Chandler said how he would dispose of his estate, Jackson had already stated that he would not accept a gift of land or property. What is Rutherford's opinion of his brother's statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. When another ship is sighted, what does Diamelo suggest doing about it?
2. When Rutherford enters the captain's quarters, he finds it in ruins and the captain badly hurt by falling beams. What, due to his injuries, is the captain no longer able to control?
3. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
4. What is the attitude and behavior of Diamelo, one of the Allmuseri men who led the rebellion, towards the Americans?
5. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
6. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
7. After Rutherford finishes his dinner conversation with Falcon and returns to the deck, he observes Meadows wearing various people's clothes and imitating them while beating the dogs. Why is he doing this?
8. After Rutherford helps throw the boy's corpse overboard, he is left with a piece of the boy's rotting flesh in his hand. What feeling does this experience leave him with?
9. Rutherford begins daydreaming about Isadora. What does he see himself doing in his daydream?
10. When another storm comes up, Ngonyama helps Rutherford up to the deck just as an explosion rocks the boat. What appears to be the cause of the explosion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text as backup, analyze how Cringle's lifelong quest to please his father has destroyed him emotionally and psychologically, and explain how Cringle's physical condition in Entry 7 is used by the author to symbolize his internal devastation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zeringue's unsuccessful attempt to blackmail Rutherford into marrying Isadora in the beginning of the novel with Rutherford's successful attempt to blackmail Zeringue into canceling his wedding to Isadora so that Rutherford can marry her, and analyze why Rutherford was successful where Zeringue was not. Use the text as evidence of your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
During their first meeting, Captain Falcon told Rutherford that by the end of the trip he would be a "man's man." Did this prediction come true? Support your argument, for or against, with proof and examples from the text.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)