|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the unofficial ship's doctor?
2. What does Captain Falcon ask Rutherford to give him?
3. After Rutherford finishes telling Squibb about Reverend Chandler's death, what illness does he say that Baleka seems to have?
4. After Rutherford finds crew members in the storeroom, he returns to the captain's cabin. In what condition does he find Captain Falcon?
5. What Allmuseri martial art is based on fighting in close quarters while bound?
Short Essay Questions
1. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
2. When the slaves are brought up from the hold, among them is a dead boy. Why does Meadows slice off the boy's ears before throwing the corpse overboard?
3. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
4. After his discussion with Squibb, Rutherford goes back up on deck and sees Ngonyama looking out to sea toward Bangalang. What does this remind Rutherford of?
5. Rutherford begins daydreaming about Isadora. What does he see himself doing in his daydream?
6. What is Falcon's motive for bringing the Allmuseri god on board?
7. When the Republic breaks apart, what does Squibb do?
8. When another storm comes up, Ngonyama helps Rutherford up to the deck just as an explosion rocks the boat. What appears to be the cause of the explosion?
9. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
10. When Ngonyama comes onto the orlop to check on Rutherford, what Allmuseri practice does Rutherford want to engage him in but cannot because he is too weak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text as backup, demonstrate and explain how the key that Rutherford gives Ngonyama in Entry 5 symbolizes the trust that is developing between the two men.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rutherford's reaction to Falcon's story of cannibalism in the beginning of the novel with his reaction upon learning that he has eaten a piece of Cringle's flesh, and explain the irony in Rutherford eating Cringle's body without knowing it. Use the text as backup.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the Allmuseri are originally described in Entry 4 with how they actually lived up to their reputations, and analyze how their experiences, and exposure to a new way of life, on board the Republic could have contributed to this fundamental change in their character. Back up your statements with proof from the text.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)