|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Falcon die?
2. After his conversation with Falcon, what does Rutherford see?
3. What does Captain Falcon ask Rutherford to give him?
4. Reverend Chandler tells Jackson and Rutherford they are ____________.
5. When Ngonyama falls ill, what does Squibb diagnose him with?
Short Essay Questions
1. When another storm comes up, Ngonyama helps Rutherford up to the deck just as an explosion rocks the boat. What appears to be the cause of the explosion?
2. After Rutherford helps throw the boy's corpse overboard, he is left with a piece of the boy's rotting flesh in his hand. What feeling does this experience leave him with?
3. When another ship is sighted, what does Diamelo suggest doing about it?
4. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
5. When Rutherford enters the captain's quarters, he finds it in ruins and the captain badly hurt by falling beams. What, due to his injuries, is the captain no longer able to control?
6. When the Republic breaks apart, what does Squibb do?
7. After the ceremony the Allmuseri hold to cleanse the ship after the uprising, what does Ngonyama send Rutherford to do?
8. Rutherford tells Squibb about his brother and master. What reason does he give for Rev. Chandler deciding to keep him and Jackson, his brother, after Chandler inherited them from their father?
9. What is the attitude and behavior of Diamelo, one of the Allmuseri men who led the rebellion, towards the Americans?
10. How do the slaves get free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Zeringue's unsuccessful attempt to blackmail Rutherford into marrying Isadora in the beginning of the novel with Rutherford's successful attempt to blackmail Zeringue into canceling his wedding to Isadora so that Rutherford can marry her, and analyze why Rutherford was successful where Zeringue was not. Use the text as evidence of your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the environments aboard the Republic and the Juno from the perspective of the personality and priorities of each ship's captain, and analyze how the differences contribute to the respective crews' morale and loyalty to their commander. Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Slavery also figured highly in the lives of all characters in Middle Passage, not just in the lives of the Allmuseri. Using the text as your backup, choose one of the following characters, and explain how and by what he or she was enslaved.
1) Captain Falcon
6) Nathaniel Meadows
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)