|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Rutherford feel for Captain Falcon after he finds him?
2. When Rutherford encounters Falcon in the passageway after one of Falcon's booby traps goes off, what emotion does he hear in Falcon's voice?
3. What is the only thing that Falcon is concerned with?
4. When Rutherford falls while on deck, who comes to help him?
5. Whom do Cringle and Rutherford find hiding in a storeroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Rutherford helps throw the boy's corpse overboard, he is left with a piece of the boy's rotting flesh in his hand. What feeling does this experience leave him with?
2. Rutherford tells Squibb about his brother and master. What reason does he give for Rev. Chandler deciding to keep him and Jackson, his brother, after Chandler inherited them from their father?
3. When Rutherford enters the captain's quarters, he finds it in ruins and the captain badly hurt by falling beams. What, due to his injuries, is the captain no longer able to control?
4. How do the slaves get free?
5. When the slaves are brought up from the hold, among them is a dead boy. Why does Meadows slice off the boy's ears before throwing the corpse overboard?
6. After his discussion with Squibb, Rutherford goes back up on deck and sees Ngonyama looking out to sea toward Bangalang. What does this remind Rutherford of?
7. One night, Cringle tells Rutherford about his father. How does Cringle describe his father's attitude towards money and the rich?
8. Why do the Allmuseri spit at visitors' feet?
9. After the ceremony the Allmuseri hold to cleanse the ship after the uprising, what does Ngonyama send Rutherford to do?
10. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing examples from the text, analyze and explain why Rutherford's grudges and resentment against his brother, Jackson, as well as his abandonment by both his father and (to an extent) Reverend Chandler, make it difficult for him to trust others.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zeringue's unsuccessful attempt to blackmail Rutherford into marrying Isadora in the beginning of the novel with Rutherford's successful attempt to blackmail Zeringue into canceling his wedding to Isadora so that Rutherford can marry her, and analyze why Rutherford was successful where Zeringue was not. Use the text as evidence of your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Rutherford described Cringle as having a sixth sense about disaster. Using examples from the text, demonstrate, analyze, and explain how this sixth sense proved to be an accurate foreshadowing of the events that took place during the Republic's voyage.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)