|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the storm, although the deck is in chaos, Rutherford can see Ngonyama. What does Ngonyama do?
2. When Baleka comes to check on Rutherford, what does he notice about how she displays feelings?
3. On what does Riley Jackson blame his wild ways?
4. What form does the Allmuseri god take when Rutherford goes to feed it?
5. How did Cringle wind up as part of the Republic's crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rutherford begins daydreaming about Isadora. What does he see himself doing in his daydream?
2. After the ceremony the Allmuseri hold to cleanse the ship after the uprising, what does Ngonyama send Rutherford to do?
3. When Ngonyama tells Rutherford that he would not harm the crew if he were master of the Republic, what reason does he give?
4. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
5. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
6. Rutherford tells Squibb about his brother and master. What reason does he give for Rev. Chandler deciding to keep him and Jackson, his brother, after Chandler inherited them from their father?
7. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford the names of the Republic's three financiers. Who are they?
8. What is the attitude and behavior of Diamelo, one of the Allmuseri men who led the rebellion, towards the Americans?
9. When Ngonyama comes onto the orlop to check on Rutherford, what Allmuseri practice does Rutherford want to engage him in but cannot because he is too weak?
10. When Rutherford enters the captain's quarters, he finds it in ruins and the captain badly hurt by falling beams. What, due to his injuries, is the captain no longer able to control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing examples from the text, analyze and explain why Rutherford's grudges and resentment against his brother, Jackson, as well as his abandonment by both his father and (to an extent) Reverend Chandler, make it difficult for him to trust others.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain how Rutherford's difficulty, post-rescue, in adjusting to a peaceful life, along with his physical changes, are indicative of how much the voyage aboard the Republic had changed him. Back up your statements with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the Allmuseri are originally described in Entry 4 with how they actually lived up to their reputations, and analyze how their experiences, and exposure to a new way of life, on board the Republic could have contributed to this fundamental change in their character. Back up your statements with proof from the text.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)