|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the steak that Squibb feeds Rutherford after he returns to consciousness?
2. What are the slaves forced to do in the hold so that as many of them as possible can be squeezed into the available space?
3. Rutherford notices that Cringle's body is covered in:
4. What does Rutherford's father, Riley, like to do after a long day of working?
5. While in Falcon's cabin after the fight on deck, what does Ngonyama tell the rest of the Allmuseri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Allmuseri spit at visitors' feet?
2. After Rutherford helps throw the boy's corpse overboard, he is left with a piece of the boy's rotting flesh in his hand. What feeling does this experience leave him with?
3. When the slaves are brought up from the hold, among them is a dead boy. Why does Meadows slice off the boy's ears before throwing the corpse overboard?
4. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
5. The night Rev. Chandler dies, he dismisses both brothers from his service. What does Rev. Chandler specifically tell Jackson about his efforts to help him?
6. Rutherford tells Squibb about his brother and master. What reason does he give for Rev. Chandler deciding to keep him and Jackson, his brother, after Chandler inherited them from their father?
7. When Ngonyama comes onto the orlop to check on Rutherford, what Allmuseri practice does Rutherford want to engage him in but cannot because he is too weak?
8. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
9. When Rutherford first awakens after fainting while feeding the Allmuseri god, Squibb is feeding him a piece of steak that turns out to be Cringle's flesh. How did Cringle wind up as Rutherford's dinner?
10. How do the slaves get free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During their first meeting, Captain Falcon told Rutherford that by the end of the trip he would be a "man's man." Did this prediction come true? Support your argument, for or against, with proof and examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the Allmuseri are originally described in Entry 4 with how they actually lived up to their reputations, and analyze how their experiences, and exposure to a new way of life, on board the Republic could have contributed to this fundamental change in their character. Back up your statements with proof from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the environments aboard the Republic and the Juno from the perspective of the personality and priorities of each ship's captain, and analyze how the differences contribute to the respective crews' morale and loyalty to their commander. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)