|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
(a) Hands and feet.
(b) Ears and eyes.
(c) Heart and soul.
(d) Eyes and ears.
2. After the storm, who stands up to Cringle regarding the poor condition of the ship?
(b) Captain Falcon.
(c) Terrence Meadows.
(d) Matthew McGaffin.
3. Cringle's correct speech is taken as ________, and the captain interprets his sensitivity as ___________.
(a) Snobbishness; prissiness.
(b) Weakness; arrogance.
(c) Prissiness; weakness.
(d) Arrogance; weakness.
4. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
(a) Sell them.
(b) Set them free.
(c) Keep them for himself.
(d) Kill them.
5. What does Captain Falcon consider himself?
(a) A genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for the toilet?
2. After Rutherford's new friend passes out from alcohol, what does Rutherford do?
3. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
4. What is Mr. Zeringue?
5. How much pay does Falcon offer Rutherford (an offer that Rutherford accepts) to remain part of the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cringle is appointed to become captain once Falcon is out of the way, what does he promise the crew?
2. The night Rutherford meets with Zeringue, he finds that he owes Zeringue 50,000 francs. He also learns that Zeringue and Isadora have made a deal regarding his debt with Zeringue. What are the details of this deal?
3. As Cringle is taking Rutherford to meet the captain, Rutherford gives Cringle his real reasons for boarding the ship. What are they?
4. As Rutherford learns more about the Republic from Cringle, he finds it is a typical ship. What, according to Rutherford, is a "typical ship"?
5. What, according to Rutherford, is proof of Isadora's kind heart?
6. What kind of man does Rutherford see portrayed in Captain Falcon's journal entries?
7. On the day Rutherford meets Baleka and her mother, he throws Baleka a biscuit. What is her mother's response?
8. When Falcon returns to his cabin and finds Rutherford there, he tells Rutherford that he has to defend himself against six men. What weapon does Falcon use?
9. As Rutherford looks at the crates of souvenirs (such as scrolls, paintings, and prayer carpets), whom does he realize is paying for the items and why?
10. Rutherford's first excuse for coming aboard the ship is that he is Squibb and is ready to work. What is his second excuse, after Cringle tells him that Squibb is on board?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)