|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
2. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A pub.
(b) The docks.
(c) A store.
(d) A restaurant.
3. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A slave.
(c) A man's man.
(d) A ship's officer.
4. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
(a) When he is alone on watch or reading.
(b) When he is with others.
(c) When he is alone on watch.
(d) When he is sleeping.
5. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
(a) His limp.
(b) His protruding belly.
(c) His small size.
(d) His voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take the Republic to travel from New Orleans to Africa?
2. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
3. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
4. The crew seems to spend most of their time at sea:
5. What is the term used for the toilet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ability does Rutherford lose while at sea?
2. After the storm dies down, what does Matthew McGaffin accuse Cringle of?
3. What, according to Rutherford, is proof of Isadora's kind heart?
4. As Rutherford looks at the crates of souvenirs (such as scrolls, paintings, and prayer carpets), whom does he realize is paying for the items and why?
5. In what languages does Captain Falcon think simultaneously?
6. When Cringle is appointed to become captain once Falcon is out of the way, what does he promise the crew?
7. How does Isadora try to convince Rutherford to change?
8. When Rutherford is awakened by Cringle and other members of the Republic's crew, why is he so quick to obey Cringle when he orders him to his feet?
9. How does Rutherford describe Captain Falcon?
10. Why, although it is against his better judgment, does Rutherford steal Squibb's work papers?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)