Entry 1: June 14, 1830
1. Where did freedman Rutherford Calhoun work when he was a slave?
(a) In the gardens.
(b) As a house slave.
(c) In the corn fields.
(d) In the cotton fields.
2. What does Rutherford say New Orleans women always smell like?
3. When he arrives in New Orleans, where does Rutherford try, but fail, to find work?
(a) Restaurants and the shipyard..
(b) Salons and negro bars.
(d) Negro bars.
4. What does Rutherford eventually take up as a career?
5. What did Reverend Chandler, Rutherford's master, try to teach him while he was growing up on the plantation?
(b) Financial prudence and honesty.
(c) Biblical virtues.
(d) Penmanship and Biblical virtues.
6. Rutherford warns the reader not to be too ________________ his way of life.
(a) Disgusted by.
(b) Critical of.
(c) Angered by.
(d) Judgmental of.
7. While in New Orleans, where does Rutherford like to hang out?
(a) The French Quarter.
(b) The marina.
(c) The waterfront.
(d) The bar.
This section contains 4,765 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)