|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What process does Schelling imagine parents choosing to undergo, in his hypothetical example?
2. What does Schelling say would be the consequence of a culture preferring male children?
3. What does Schelling say would be the result of chromosomal selection that allowed parents to select for high-IQ children?
4. What example does Schelling use to illustrate decisions of the majority that can be known?
5. What U.S. President decided not to use nuclear weapons in Kuwait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Schelling's models of human behavior tell us about human nature? Do they tell us different things about individuals than they tell us about society? Do they delve into psychology, or are they still essentially economic in nature?
Essay Topic 2
What is a positive kind of discrimination, and what tools does a society or a government have for reinforcing positive discrimination?
Essay Topic 3
What are Schelling's values? Where does he stand on the issue of safety, or integration, or segregation or vaccines? Using evidence from the book, describe Schelling's personal views about the issues he raises, and explain the reasoning by which he justifies these personal views.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)