|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schelling say is the importance of segregation and integration models?
2. What model of human behavior does Schelling say arms control follows?
3. What does Schelling say parents are most concerned with in the case of vaccination?
4. What example does Schelling use to illustrate decisions of the majority that can be known?
5. What does Schelling say would a density enhancement add to a closed model? Improved distribution modeling. Room for more factors to be included. Relief from certain mathematical constraints.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Schelling seems to be making the point that segregation may be a social problem, but it is being acted out by individuals. Is his account complete, or is there an extent to which social behaviors are influenced by institutions and ideologies and unofficial policies? What role do these things play in segregation?
Essay Topic 2
What does Schelling mean when he says that systems strive for equilibrium? Use an example of a system that naturally seeks equilibrium--and define that equilibrium--and describe a natural system that does not seek equilibrium. What do the exceptions show about the general tendency?
Essay Topic 3
Choose an event out of a newspaper or magazine, describe the primary model at work in it, and describe the underlying assumptions as well as the externalities and extra factors that are evident in the event.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)