|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Schelling say hockey players resist wearing helmets, when they already know they are safer?
2. What can a closed system with a density enhancement include, in Schelling's analysis?
3. What does Schelling say the "open model" represent?
4. What does Schelling say happens when the youngest ten percent of a population moves?
5. What is an example of a prediction which Schelling says closed system modeling cannot make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolerance is a desirable quality to identify in an economic model of behavior, but how would you define the value of tolerance in Schelling's models of integration? What would you know it by? What factors would indicate a 'tolerant' neighborhood or society?
Essay Topic 2
Schelling writes that groups tend to gather around a primary distinction, but secondary distinctions still exist beneath the surface. Select a case study from history or from current events and describe the interplay between the dominant identifier and the relationship between sub-identifications within that group.
Essay Topic 3
Schelling seems to be making the point that segregation may be a social problem, but it is being acted out by individuals. Is his account complete, or is there an extent to which social behaviors are influenced by institutions and ideologies and unofficial policies? What role do these things play in segregation?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)