|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schelling say about the results of segregation and integration models?
2. Who was the successor to the President who dropped the bomb?
3. What has to happen before hockey players will accept the requirement to wear helmets, in Schelling's analysis?
4. What does Schelling say about an equilibrium division of the population?
5. What was the status of nuclear weapons under Truman's successor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Micromotives and Macrobehavior was written in 1981, when race relations in the U.S. were tense in the aftermath of the civil rights movement of the sixties and seventies. While the book responded to the inflammatory situation by analyzing micromotives, the past three decades have seen race relations change in the U.S. What aspects of Schelling's analysis is still relevant in the atmosphere of race relations today, and what factors have caused them to change or evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Which models are most convincing in predicting outcomes, and which models are least convincing? Describe a case where a model lines up neatly with phenomena, and another case where a model fails to account for behavior.
Essay Topic 3
How has Schelling's economic modeling changed in an age of data mining and news aggregators and other digital techniques for gathering and sifting enormous amounts of information? Is it that more people have access to aggregate patterns? Or that new kinds of control are possible now?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)