|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Schelling say people tend to sit in the back of a theater?
2. What does Schelling say about balance in individual cases?
3. What does Schelling say race discrimination can lead to?
4. When does Schelling say social behavior can be considered a critical mass?
5. How does Schelling describe the system of skiers going up a lift and coming down the trails?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do economic systems resemble ant colonies, in Schelling's analysis?
2. According to Schelling, what is not included in his model of integration and segregation?
3. What does Schelling mean when he says that certain behaviors have the character of mathematical "identical truisms"?
4. In what way does a thermostat mirror the behaviors of many systems, in Schelling's analysis?
5. How does Schelling characterize eugenics?
6. What does Schelling say a closed model can be used for with regard to prospective college students?
7. What would be the consequence of parents preferring boys to girls, in Schelling's analysis?
8. What would the demographic consequences be, if parents could select the traits of their children?
9. What does Schelling say about discrimination?
10. Which U.S. presidents' decisions about nuclear weapons does Schelling describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Schelling mean when he says that systems strive for equilibrium? Use an example of a system that naturally seeks equilibrium--and define that equilibrium--and describe a natural system that does not seek equilibrium. What do the exceptions show about the general tendency?
Essay Topic 2
Schelling writes that groups tend to gather around a primary distinction, but secondary distinctions still exist beneath the surface. Select a case study from history or from current events and describe the interplay between the dominant identifier and the relationship between sub-identifications within that group.
Essay Topic 3
What is a positive kind of discrimination, and what tools does a society or a government have for reinforcing positive discrimination?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)