|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Schelling says a social behavior model can be?
2. What does Schelling say is the result if aggregate behavior results from a small number of variables?
3. What does Schelling say people feel in a "bounded-neighborhood" model?
4. What does Schelling say distinguishes the sociologist from other scientists?
5. What does Schelling say about Christmas cards?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Schelling say technology has changed the number of genetic outcomes that can result when a man and a woman conceive?
2. What issues does Schelling describe surrounding the question of raising the draft age in the U.S.?
3. What is a binary choice?
4. What are some of the other traits Schelling says parents might be able to choose in the future?
5. How does Schelling describe nuclear weapons in his final chapter?
6. What does Schelling say is the trigger for the decisions that lead to segregation?
7. How many possible genetic variations can result when two people have a baby together?
8. What is the relationship between behaviors that can be modeled and free will, in Schelling's analysis?
9. What does Schelling say the thermostat model seeks?
10. How does Schelling use mathematical formulations to express his economic models of behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolerance is a desirable quality to identify in an economic model of behavior, but how would you define the value of tolerance in Schelling's models of integration? What would you know it by? What factors would indicate a 'tolerant' neighborhood or society?
Essay Topic 2
Schelling seems to be making the point that segregation may be a social problem, but it is being acted out by individuals. Is his account complete, or is there an extent to which social behaviors are influenced by institutions and ideologies and unofficial policies? What role do these things play in segregation?
Essay Topic 3
Which has a bigger effect on society, the choices people can see, or the choices they make that cannot be seen?
This section contains 1,624 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)