|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schelling say the measles story is an example of?
2. What does Schelling say is important in economics?
3. What part of a heating system does Schelling use as a metaphor for human behavior?
4. What does Schelling say social scientists consider in behavior modeling?
5. What does Schelling say about discrimination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the other traits Schelling says parents might be able to choose in the future?
2. What aspect of the history of nuclear weapons does Schelling describe?
3. In what way does Schelling say the shop owner's exchange of a bicycle for $150 of the customer's money--when the owner paid $90 for the bicycle--an equal exchange?
4. What is a self-fulfilling prophecy?
5. What does Schelling mean when he says that certain behaviors have the character of mathematical "identical truisms"?
6. In what way does a thermostat mirror the behaviors of many systems, in Schelling's analysis?
7. What is a semi-closed system?
8. What is an externality?
9. What would be the consequence of parents preferring boys to girls, in Schelling's analysis?
10. What hope does Schelling have for the future of nuclear weapons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolerance is a desirable quality to identify in an economic model of behavior, but how would you define the value of tolerance in Schelling's models of integration? What would you know it by? What factors would indicate a 'tolerant' neighborhood or society?
Essay Topic 2
What is a positive kind of discrimination, and what tools does a society or a government have for reinforcing positive discrimination?
Essay Topic 3
Schelling's models seem to swing back and forth between literary metaphors and statistical methods. Is one predominant? Is one more or less reliable?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)