|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Schelling says a social behavior model can be?
2. What does Schelling ultimately say about a decision such as where to sit in a theater?
3. How does Schelling describe daylight savings time?
4. What do the laws visible in the human behavior Schelling describes lead you to expect in other cyclic processes?
5. What does Schelling say race discrimination can lead to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Schelling define equilibrium?
2. How does Schelling use mathematical formulations to express his economic models of behavior?
3. What experience got Schelling thinking about distribution?
4. How do economic systems resemble ant colonies, in Schelling's analysis?
5. What does Schelling say segregation and separation, sharing and mixing have in common?
6. How does Schelling say technology has changed the number of genetic outcomes that can result when a man and a woman conceive?
7. What is an unconditional preference?
8. What natural preference does Schelling say leads to segregation of populations in American cities?
9. Which U.S. presidents' decisions about nuclear weapons does Schelling describe?
10. What is one consequence Schelling describes of parents being able to choose the sex of their children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Schelling writes that groups tend to gather around a primary distinction, but secondary distinctions still exist beneath the surface. Select a case study from history or from current events and describe the interplay between the dominant identifier and the relationship between sub-identifications within that group.
Essay Topic 2Choose an event out of a newspaper or magazine, describe the primary model at work in it, and describe the underlying assumptions as well as the externalities and extra factors that are evident in the event.
Essay Topic 3What is a positive kind of discrimination, and what tools does a society or a government have for reinforcing positive discrimination?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)