|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schelling say the farmer needs to know?
(a) Who will buy his milk.
(b) How much it will cost the driver to take his milk to market.
(c) How much milk his cows are giving.
(d) Who will take his milk to market.
2. What does Schelling say the defines independent variable in a behavioral system?
(a) The sum of the dependent variables.
(b) The imp of the perverse.
(c) The sum of the dependent variables in parallel systems.
(d) The sum of the independent variables in linked systems.
3. What ingrained behavior does Schelling say informs the decision where to sit in a theater?
(a) Not to sit in front.
(b) Not to sit next to anyone.
(c) Not to sit in the back.
(d) Not to sit near funny-looking people.
4. What does Schelling say race discrimination can lead to?
(a) Harmful segregation.
(b) Economic discrimination.
(d) Race hatred.
5. What is the first thing Schelling says a social behavior model can be?
(a) A hypothetical explanation of individual's motives.
(b) A flow chart.
(c) A precise statement of a set of relationships.
(d) A form of accounting.
6. What does Schelling say about a bike owner buying a bike for $90 and selling it for $150?
(a) He says that the exchange replaces a real bicycle with abstract money.
(b) He says that the owner still has to pay overhead, so the exchange is equal.
(c) He says that the exchange is consistent with laws of capitalism.
(d) He says that the owner gains a profit of $60.
7. What does Schelling say about Christmas cards?
(a) They make a map of social relations.
(b) They do not follow any laws of distribution.
(c) There is generally a balance between how many each person receives.
(d) Sometimes they are sent out of guilt.
8. Under what condition, does Schelling say, would a black person feel more comfortable reading ads in a church bulletin?
(a) If the ads were placed by people of the same denomination.
(b) If the ads were placed by black people.
(c) If the ads specified that race was not an issue.
(d) If the ads asked reasonable prices for goods being sold.
9. What does Schelling say provides clear evidence of black versus white areas in American cities?
(a) First-hand observation.
(c) History books.
10. What does Schelling say about human desire?
(a) It is torn between irreconcilable desires for different states.
(b) It changes from childhood to teen years to adulthood.
(c) It is torn within itself and it is split from its own language.
(d) It seeks mathematically-predictable levels of stability.
11. What does Schelling say people have a tendency to do?
(a) Hide from unpleasant facts.
(b) Put others down.
(c) Be honest.
(d) Put themselves in good positions.
12. What fear does Schelling say informs the behavior that is ingrained in people's decisions where to sit in a theater?
(a) The fear of being called on stage.
(b) The fear of being involved.
(c) The fear of violent teachers.
(d) The fear of a pop quiz in class.
13. What does the heating-system-like aspect of human behavior seek, in Schelling's analysis?
(a) Relief from tension.
(b) An appropriate level.
(c) Perpetual comfort.
14. What does Schelling say is an atomic pile is an example of?
(a) A critical-mass model.
(b) A paradoxical process.
(c) A lemon model.
(d) A half-life model.
15. What does Schelling say race discrimination is caused by?
(a) Economic inequality.
(b) False perceptions.
(c) Historical enmity.
(d) Past injustices.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Schelling describe the Golden Gate Bridge?
2. What term does Garrett Hardin use to describe people who infringe on others by following their own desires intently?
3. What does Schelling say Hardin based his research on?
4. In Schelling's analysis, what behavior governs the people filling the theater?
5. What does Schelling say a proposition has to have in order to be true?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)