|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: The Inescapable Mathematics of Musical Chairs.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Schelling give to the effect people have on each other's behavior?
(a) Contingent behavior.
(b) Archetypal intelligence.
(c) Anxiety of influence.
(d) Emotional intelligence.
2. What does Schelling say about balance in individual cases?
(a) It defines the nature of human beings.
(b) It is a transcendent law.
(c) It does not exist.
(d) It is evidence of the collective unconscious.
3. Why does Schelling say people tend to sit in the back of a theater?
(a) Because they want to be able to leave.
(b) Because it is darker there.
(c) Because that's where the desirable people sit.
(d) Because they are afraid of the front.
4. How do people affect each other's decisions where to sit in theater?
(a) Theatres fill from the back-middle to the front and then to the back.
(b) Theatres fill from the middle to the sides and back.
(c) Early arrivals sit in back, then the rest fill from the rear.
(d) Theatres fill randomly.
5. What does Schelling say the presence of a small group of black students in a college student body does for any economic propositions about the behavior of that student body?
(a) Introduces uncertainty.
(b) Introduces tension and inequality.
(c) Introduces non-economic competition.
(d) Introduces randomness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schelling say most people will say about their driving?
2. How does Schelling describe the Golden Gate Bridge?
3. What example from human psychology does Schelling contrapose to conscious choice?
4. What does Schelling say about human desire?
5. What consequence does Schelling say might affect people sitting closer to the stage?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)