|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Sorting and Mixing: Age and Income.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many calls does the individual receive, in the aggregate, in Schelling's analysis?
(a) As many as others make.
(b) As many as he makes.
(c) It depends on how many people he knows.
(d) It depends on his personality.
2. What does Schelling say about the frequency of pairs?
(a) Pairs are a human construct.
(b) Pairs are common if your criteria are simple.
(c) Pairs are rare in nature but common in society.
(d) Many phenomena occur in pairs.
3. What does Schelling say about the underlying motivation for segregation?
(a) It can be fairly ordinary.
(b) It is necessary.
(c) ItIt is inevitable.
(d) It is based in race or ethnic hatred.
4. What does Schelling say about the "closed model"?
(a) It considers more than age.
(b) It predicts who will leave.
(c) It considers age alone.
(d) It describes the factors that pull people out of a community.
5. In Schelling's analysis, what behavior governs the people filling the theater?
(a) Group aversion.
(d) Bunching behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schelling say provides clear evidence of black versus white areas in American cities?
2. Schelling says that it is hard to draw the line between "individually motivated" segregation and what?
3. Why might segregation result without discrimination?
4. What does Schelling say is the term for a situation where two people hurt themselves and each other by making self-interested decisions?
5. What do the laws visible in the human behavior Schelling describes lead you to expect in other cyclic processes?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)