|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Sorting and Mixing: Age and Income.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schelling say was seeking equilibrium as America's space industry interacted with the Russians'?
(a) The system of America's military defense industry.
(b) The system of America's space agencies.
(c) The system of America's universities which produced scientists.
(d) The system of technical knowledge itself.
2. What does Schelling say governs each decision?
(a) Dread and awe.
(b) The collective unconscious.
(c) Preferences and goals.
(d) Longing and fear.
3. What social science does Schelling say sociology resembles?
(a) Paranormal psychology.
4. What does Schelling say about a bike owner buying a bike for $90 and selling it for $150?
(a) He says that the owner still has to pay overhead, so the exchange is equal.
(b) He says that the owner gains a profit of $60.
(c) He says that the exchange is consistent with laws of capitalism.
(d) He says that the exchange replaces a real bicycle with abstract money.
5. What does Schelling say the number of bikes stolen is almost identical to?
(a) The number of bikes reported stolen.
(b) The number of bikes that cannot be fixed each year.
(c) One third of the number of bikes bought new.
(d) The number of bikes not reported stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the Golden Gate Bridge charge a double toll for traffic in one direction without fear of being unfair?
2. What example does Schelling use to show discrimination in an atypical light?
3. Why does Schelling say people tend to sit in the back of a theater?
4. What is an example of a prediction which Schelling says closed system modeling cannot make?
5. Under what condition would the population not be constrained by a mathematical identity after the youngest ten percent of a population moved away?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)