|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Marc Rich begin shipping from the Philippines in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 8 a deal was struck whereby Rich would be provided with how many barrels of oil daily?
3. How many people attended the funeral of Robbie Lichtenstern?
4. In what year was one of Marc Rich's chief officers found murdered in Chapter 13?
5. Who was very concerned with the risks that Rich was taking with oil trading in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Marc Rich's new office described in Chapter 12? How did Rich treat his employees there?
2. What happened to Mark Rich's reputation once it became known he had purchased 20th Century Fox?
3. What deal did Marc Rich make through Ali Rezai in Chapter 8? What price did Rich pay for the deal?
4. How were the young traders at Marc Rich's firm described?
5. Where did Marc Rich establish his own business in Chapter 8? Why did he choose this locale?
6. Where were Rich's offices in Chapter 8? How were they described?
7. How had the Arab oil embargo affected the oil trade in Chapter 15? What illegal activity arose during this time?
8. How did Rich feel about the reaction of the Board to his dealings with Iran in Chapter 6?
9. What were Marc Rich's dealings with the Iranians described as in Chapter 9? Why did the Iranians deal with Rich?
10. Where did Rich turn for more oil in the 1970s? How great did his oil empire become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marc Rich as the central figure in Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. What personality characteristics are noted of Rich? What were his relationships like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the events which led to the downturn in the industry after Rich became managing director of the Madrid offices. What changed about the U.S. dollar during this time? How was the global economy affected?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the merger between Mineral & Chemicals Philipp Brothers and Engelhard Industries. When did this merger take place? What did each company hope to gain from the merger?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)