|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jesselson order Rich to do after he'd made the oil deal with Iran in Chapter 7?
2. To whom did Rich turn for operating cash with his new business in Chapter 8?
3. What did Rich's core team of traders dub themselves as in Chapter 14?
4. What was the greatest problem facing Philipp Brothers and their trading of oil?
5. What did Rich decide Philipp Brothers needed which would serve as a tax advantage and also allow the company to save money in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two employees was Marc Rich greatly disappointed by in Chapter 12? What had each done?
2. What was the reaction of the New York offices following the gunpoint incident in Chapter 10? How was Rich connected to the affair?
3. What deal did Marc Rich make through Ali Rezai in Chapter 8? What price did Rich pay for the deal?
4. When and why did Marc Rich purchase 20th Century Fox?
5. Who was found murdered in Chapter 13? What was speculated as the cause of the murder?
6. What happened to Mark Rich's reputation once it became known he had purchased 20th Century Fox?
7. What happened with many traders once the Ayatollah Khomeini took over government control in Iran? How did Marc Rich react?
8. What was Rich's plan for "The Mutiny" in Chapter 6? How did it play out?
9. How had the Arab oil embargo affected the oil trade in Chapter 15? What illegal activity arose during this time?
10. What did Rich register his company as in Chapter 8? Where did he operate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What rumor circulated the trading industry in 1984? What effect did it have on the global economy? Who was responsible for originating the rumor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the metal trading industry as it was illustrated by the author in the Introduction and Chapter 1 of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Where was the industry headquartered? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)