|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers and sisters does Matty have?
2. What is the sound Matty hears soon after parting from Ramon?
3. What does Ramon say was the fate of Gatherer?
4. What does Seer say is "creeping in" to the people of Village?
5. What is Mentor's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Seer tell Matty about Trade Mart?
2. How does Ramon manage to bring up the Gaming Machine while he and Matty are preparing to fish and what is Matty's reaction?
3. What does Matty note about Mentor when they encounter each other in chapter six?
4. What does Seer ask of Matty after the people vote to close Village to outsiders?
5. List at least three ways Matty can tell that he's growing up.
6. Describe Mentor.
7. What does Leader say about food and animals in the village where he'd lived as a child?
8. Why does Matty send Jean for herbs and what does he do while she's gone?
9. What does Matty look for in Forest and what is his reaction when he finds it?
10. How does Seer know Matty is about to leave the house, and what does Matty say about Seer's ability to detect movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Matty recall about his childhood? What memories are painful? Are there any good memories?
Essay Topic 2
The Gaming Machine represents a desire for materialistic things. What does Matty say early in the story about his own desire for a Gaming Machine? What does Seer say? What does Matty come to realize about the Gaming Machine? Why does his view change?
Essay Topic 3
What is Kira's gift? What is Matty's gift? What is Leader's gift? What is Seer's gift? Which gift is the most vital and why? Which person is happiest with his or her gift? Why?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)