|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the defect of Mentor?
2. How can Seer tell how many are grieving?
3. Who made the tapestry that hangs in Seer's house?
4. What does Jean do while she's talking to Matty about her father?
5. Why does Seer light a lamp as Matty is preparing to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matty note about Mentor when they encounter each other in chapter six?
2. What does Leader say Matty should name the puppy and how does Matty decide to follow the advice?
3. What does Seer tell Matty about Trade Mart?
4. Why doesn't Matty want to tell Seer where he's going after supper?
5. List at least three ways Matty can tell that he's growing up.
6. Describe the scene Matty sees as he is leaving the house for Forest.
7. What does Leader tell Matty about how he received his books and why that was significant?
8. How does Ramon manage to bring up the Gaming Machine while he and Matty are preparing to fish and what is Matty's reaction?
9. What does the woman who's only recently arrived in Village say about her son and her other children?
10. Why does Matty send Jean for herbs and what does he do while she's gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List at least three specific scenes in the book. What role does each play in the story? Which is most important to the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is Trade Mart? How does Matty learn about Trade Mart? What does he tell Seer and Leader about Trade Mart? What is Matty's impression of Trade Mart?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jean? Mentor? Rosy? Ramon? Vladik? Gatherer? Stocktender's widow? What is the role each plays in Matty's life?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)