|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matty notice about all the people at the Trade Mart?
2. What does Matty do with the puppy during the meeting
3. What does Matty look for when he goes inside Mentor's house?
4. How does Seer refer to Matty when it's his turn to talk?
5. What does Matty say he called himself when he first arrived at Village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Seer ask of Matty after the people vote to close Village to outsiders?
2. What does Matty look for in Forest and what is his reaction when he finds it?
3. Why doesn't Matty want to tell Seer where he's going after supper?
4. How does Seer know Matty is about to leave the house, and what does Matty say about Seer's ability to detect movement?
5. What does Leader tell Matty about how he received his books and why that was significant?
6. Why doesn't Matty tell Jean that he can use his gift to change her father back?
7. Describe how Matty came to heal the frog in Forest.
8. What is Matty's condition, and what does he do after healing the puppy and its mother?
9. Describe Mentor's actions during Trade Mart?
10. Describe Mentor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jean? Mentor? Rosy? Ramon? Vladik? Gatherer? Stocktender's widow? What is the role each plays in Matty's life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's purpose of referring to "Village" rather than "the village?" Does the author serve this purpose? Is the purpose the same when referring to "Forest?" Why does Matty live in "Village" while Kira lives in "the village?"
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison of the characters of Matty and Leader. Be sure to consider the roles of each in the lives of the people of Village.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)