|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Almeda not prefer to do?
(d) Write poetry.
2. What is Jarvis Poulter's marital status?
3. With what does each of the sections begin?
(a) A few lines from Whitman.
(b) A few lines from Thoreau.
(c) A few lines from Shakespeare.
(d) A few lines written by the protagonist.
4. What does Jarvis Poulter take from the town to save money at home?
(a) Water and coal.
(b) Water and food.
(c) Water and gas.
(d) Food and coal.
5. Which of the following roles did Almeda not assume for her father after the death of her mother?
(a) Business partner.
6. What format is MENESETEUNG?
(a) Short story.
7. With what would Jarvis interfere if Almeda were to take a drive with him in the country?
(a) The birds singing.
(b) Her fishing.
(c) Her reveries on nature.
(d) Her gathering wildflowers.
8. Almeda can smell soap and ______________ scents on Jarvis' jacket.
(a) Hair tonic.
(d) After shave.
9. Which of the Great Lakes is Champlain said to have sailed?
(a) Lake Ontario.
(b) Lake Huron.
(c) Lake Superior.
(d) Lake Erie.
10. What would Almeda like to receive from Jarvis?
(a) His vote for city council member.
(b) Some stock advice.
(c) Funding for the new library.
(d) Some romantic attentions.
11. What is the source of Almeda's social withdrawal?
(a) The death of her family members.
(b) Her facial scars.
(c) Her limp.
(d) Her speech impediment.
12. What is the time period of MENESETEUNG?
13. How does Almeda always try to conduct herself in town?
(a) With propriety.
(b) With lots of friends.
(c) Without speaking to anyone.
(d) With lots of fun.
14. What is the undesirable part of town called?
(a) Skid Row.
(c) Pearl Street swamp.
15. How is Almeda's spirit portrayed in the story?
(b) Long suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who built the home in which Almeda lives?
2. What can Almeda see from her window?
3. Where does Almeda stay most of the time?
4. Which of the following is not the typical assumption for a woman's life in the late a1880s?
5. Which of the following does the narrator not mention as inhabiting the town?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)