|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Almeda's spirit portrayed in the story?
(c) Long suffering.
2. Which of the following does not describe the picture of Almeda in the book?
(a) Gray hair.
(b) Only 25.
(d) Rather plain.
3. Section 2 explains the _________________ in the town.
(b) Class distinction.
4. Section 3 introduces which character?
(a) Jarvis Poulter.
(b) Jared Pouter.
(c) Jarvis Portman.
(d) Jarvis Porter.
5. Almeda thinks that married women have to _____________________.
(a) Deal with in-laws.
(b) Give up careers.
(c) Mold their husbands.
(d) Clean too much.
6. What does Jarvis Poulter take from the town to save money at home?
(a) Water and gas.
(b) Food and coal.
(c) Water and coal.
(d) Water and food.
7. How long has Jarvis Poulter been in town?
(a) A few years.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few months.
(d) A few days.
8. What would Almeda like to receive from Jarvis?
(a) Some stock advice.
(b) Some romantic attentions.
(c) His vote for city council member.
(d) Funding for the new library.
9. Which of the following is not the typical assumption for a woman's life in the late a1880s?
(c) Unmarried poet.
10. Almeda is removed from _________________ in the town.
(b) The Garden Club.
(c) Undesirable elements.
(d) The Rotary Club.
11. What does Almeda think she would be if Jarvis were to ask her for a drive in the country?
12. Who is the protagonist of the story?
(a) Alameda Joiner Roth.
(b) Almeda Joyner Roth.
(c) Almeda Joynt Roth.
(d) Alexandra Joynt Roth.
13. How does the author show Almeda's naivete about the life of the lower class people in town?
(a) She never goes outside or talks to anyone.
(b) She always gives to charities.
(c) She does not give to charities.
(d) She thinks the swamp is beautiful.
14. From what does Almeda suffer?
(b) High blood pressure.
(c) Societal pressures to marry.
15. Almeda's family's home sits on what street?
Short Answer Questions
1. What format is MENESETEUNG?
2. Jarvis had come to town to make a fortune in ___________.
3. What is the name of the book from which the lines at the beginning of each section are taken?
4. Jarvis never escorts Almeda to _____________.
5. What is the narrator's name?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)