|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe Almeda?
2. What does Almeda think she would be if Jarvis were to ask her for a drive in the country?
3. How did Almeda's younger brother and sister die?
(b) House fire.
(c) Car accident.
4. Almeda has no need for ____________________.
5. What would Almeda like to receive from Jarvis?
(a) Some romantic attentions.
(b) Some stock advice.
(c) Funding for the new library.
(d) His vote for city council member.
6. What was the nature of Almeda's father's business?
(a) Dry goods.
7. Section 3 introduces which character?
(a) Jarvis Porter.
(b) Jarvis Poulter.
(c) Jarvis Portman.
(d) Jared Pouter.
8. Why does the town attract relatively young people?
(a) It has great outdoor recreation.
(b) It is in a very cold climate.
(c) It has great schools.
(d) It is an unsettled area.
9. How is Almeda portrayed in the story?
(a) A dour spinster.
(b) A blushing bride.
(c) A sickly girl.
(d) A vivacious young woman.
10. Almeda's family's home sits on what street?
11. In what business is Jarvis Poulter engaged?
(a) Salt mines.
12. Jarvis never escorts Almeda to _____________.
(a) The theater.
(c) The church social.
13. The fact that Almeda is an independent spirit and does not fit into 1800s society but would be applauded in the 1990s is called ______________.
14. Section 2 explains the _________________ in the town.
(d) Class distinction.
15. Which of the following does not contribute to the beauty of the swamp?
(d) Tall trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's name?
2. From what does Almeda suffer?
3. What did Almeda's father leave her when he died?
4. Which of the following does Almeda not have any skill for?
5. Who is the protagonist of the story?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)