|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Almeda's house is on the corner of Pearl and ___________ Streets.
2. Which of the following does not enter into Almeda's idea of what marriage would be like?
3. In what year do the events of Section 2 occur?
4. What did Almeda's father leave her when he died?
(a) The family business.
(b) There was nothing to leave.
(c) A pile of debts.
(d) The family home and estate.
5. What is unique about Queen Aggie?
(a) She is always drunk.
(b) She has a white streak on the front of her hair.
(c) She can speak ten languages.
(d) She can put her legs behind her head.
6. How is Almeda portrayed in the story?
(a) A dour spinster.
(b) A blushing bride.
(c) A sickly girl.
(d) A vivacious young woman.
7. How long is school in session each year?
(a) 12 months.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 9 months.
8. The Ontario of Almeda's time was called ______________________.
(a) Canada's Best.
(b) Canada West.
(c) Canada's Beginning.
(d) The true Canada.
9. Which of the Great Lakes is Champlain said to have sailed?
(a) Lake Erie.
(b) Lake Superior.
(c) Lake Huron.
(d) Lake Ontario.
10. According to Almeda, marriage would mean __________________ existence.
(a) A joyful.
(b) An exhilirating.
(c) An austere.
(d) A fun-filled.
11. Section 2 explains the _________________ in the town.
(b) Class distinction.
12. How long has Jarvis Poulter been in town?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few years.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few months.
13. Almeda's family's home sits on what street?
14. What is unique about Almeda in her family?
(a) She got gray hair at age 18.
(b) She has a lisp.
(c) She has one blue eye and one green eye.
(d) She is the last surviving member.
15. According to Almeda, men are ______________ creatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the town attract relatively young people?
2. Jarvis has given Almeda ______________________.
3. Almeda would rather write about ____________ than cooking.
4. What would Almeda regret if she were to go on a drive in the country with Jarvis?
5. How does the author show Almeda's naivete about the life of the lower class people in town?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)