|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Almeda's house is on the corner of Pearl and ___________ Streets.
2. All the people in town are under what age?
3. Almeda keeps her distance both physically and _______________ in town.
4. Which of the following does Almeda not have any skill for?
5. What does Almeda think she would be if Jarvis were to ask her for a drive in the country?
6. Where does Jarvis Pouter live?
(a) On the other side of town from Almeda.
(b) Two lots away from Almeda.
(c) Two blocks away from Almeda.
(d) Two streets over from Almeda.
7. In what year do the events of Section 2 occur?
8. From what does Almeda suffer?
(b) High blood pressure.
(d) Societal pressures to marry.
9. How does the author show Almeda's naivete about the life of the lower class people in town?
(a) She thinks the swamp is beautiful.
(b) She never goes outside or talks to anyone.
(c) She does not give to charities.
(d) She always gives to charities.
10. Which of the following does not enter into Almeda's idea of what marriage would be like?
11. Almeda is removed from _________________ in the town.
(a) The Rotary Club.
(b) Undesirable elements.
(c) The Garden Club.
12. Which of the Great Lakes is Champlain said to have sailed?
(a) Lake Huron.
(b) Lake Ontario.
(c) Lake Erie.
(d) Lake Superior.
13. How can Jarvis Poulter's lifestyle be characterized?
(c) Completely masculine.
14. In what business is Jarvis Poulter engaged?
(c) Salt mines.
15. Almeda is not considered to be _______________ yet.
(a) An accomplished author.
(b) An old maid.
(c) A philanthropist.
(d) A wealthy woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of one of Almeda's poems?
2. Jarvis has given Almeda ______________________.
3. Which of the following is not a typical focus of Almeda's work?
4. What is unique about Almeda in her family?
5. Almeda waits for Jarvis to ________________________.
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)