|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All the people in town are under what age?
2. Which of the following roles did Almeda not assume for her father after the death of her mother?
(b) Business partner.
3. What did Almeda's father leave her when he died?
(a) A pile of debts.
(b) The family business.
(c) There was nothing to leave.
(d) The family home and estate.
4. Who is the author of MENESETEUNG?
(a) Alice Munro.
(b) Allison Munro.
(c) Alice Monrovia.
(d) Alicia Monroe.
5. According to Almeda, marriage would mean __________________ existence.
(a) An exhilirating.
(b) A fun-filled.
(c) A joyful.
(d) An austere.
6. What is the narrator's name?
(b) It is not known.
7. What is Almeda's social status in town?
(a) Upper class.
(b) Lower class.
(c) Middle class.
8. With what does each of the sections begin?
(a) A few lines from Thoreau.
(b) A few lines from Shakespeare.
(c) A few lines written by the protagonist.
(d) A few lines from Whitman.
9. Why does the town attract relatively young people?
(a) It has great outdoor recreation.
(b) It has great schools.
(c) It is an unsettled area.
(d) It is in a very cold climate.
10. Where is there speculation about a courtship between Jarvis and Almeda?
(a) In the restaurants.
(b) In the Vidette.
(c) In church.
(d) In the women's clubs.
11. Almeda waits for Jarvis to ________________________.
(a) Finish his tea.
(b) Ask her to dinner.
(c) Take her out driving
(d) Make the first romantic move.
12. Almeda lives in a ________________ society.
13. Which of the Great Lakes is Champlain said to have sailed?
(a) Lake Superior.
(b) Lake Huron.
(c) Lake Ontario.
(d) Lake Erie.
14. What does Jarvis Poulter take from the town to save money at home?
(a) Water and gas.
(b) Water and food.
(c) Water and coal.
(d) Food and coal.
15. According to Almeda, men are ______________ creatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Almeda think the swamp is the loveliest?
2. Almeda can smell soap and ______________ scents on Jarvis' jacket.
3. What would Almeda regret if she were to go on a drive in the country with Jarvis?
4. Which of the following is not the typical assumption for a woman's life in the late a1880s?
5. How is Almeda portrayed in the story?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)