|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Almeda's house is on the corner of Pearl and ___________ Streets.
2. What does Almeda think she would be if Jarvis were to ask her for a drive in the country?
3. Which of the following does not enter into Almeda's idea of what marriage would be like?
4. Which of the following does not contribute to the beauty of the swamp?
(a) Tall trees.
5. Jarvis never escorts Almeda to _____________.
(b) The church social.
(c) The theater.
6. What is the undesirable part of town called?
(b) Pearl Street swamp.
(c) Skid Row.
7. Which of the following roles did Almeda not assume for her father after the death of her mother?
(b) Business partner.
8. Almeda has no instincts for _________________.
(a) Domestic arts.
(b) Visual arts.
(c) Martial arts.
(d) Musical arts.
9. Almeda can smell soap and ______________ scents on Jarvis' jacket.
(b) Hair tonic.
(c) After shave.
10. Almeda lives in a ________________ society.
11. What is Jarvis considered to be regarding marriage?
(a) A loser.
(b) Not a good match for Almeda.
(c) A suitable prospect.
(d) A confirmed bachelor.
12. What is Almeda's social status in town?
(b) Upper class.
(c) Lower class.
(d) Middle class.
13. What do the boys of the town have time to do?
(a) Get part time jobs.
(b) Learn new trades.
(c) Clear new roads.
(d) Roam the streets looking for trouble.
14. What is the name of the book from which the lines at the beginning of each section are taken?
15. Jarvis had come to town to make a fortune in ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Almeda not have any skill for?
2. How did Almeda's mother die?
3. Where does Almeda think that Jarvis might take her?
4. How long is school in session each year?
5. What does Jarvis do with Almeda on Sundays?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)