|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Almeda stay most of the time?
(a) At church.
(b) At her best friend's house.
(c) At home.
(d) At school.
2. Why does the town attract relatively young people?
(a) It is in a very cold climate.
(b) It has great outdoor recreation.
(c) It is an unsettled area.
(d) It has great schools.
3. How is Almeda's spirit portrayed in the story?
(d) Long suffering.
4. How long has Jarvis Poulter been in town?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few years.
5. Which of the following does the narrator not mention as inhabiting the town?
(c) Con men.
6. In what year do the events of Section 2 occur?
7. From whose perspective is MENESETEUNG told?
(b) Mrs. Roth.
(c) A narrator.
8. Almeda lives in a ________________ society.
9. Jarvis has given Almeda ______________________.
(a) Some stock in his company.
(b) No indication of romantic interests.
(c) Investment tips.
(d) A diamond ring.
10. Who is the protagonist of the story?
(a) Alameda Joiner Roth.
(b) Alexandra Joynt Roth.
(c) Almeda Joyner Roth.
(d) Almeda Joynt Roth.
11. Where is there speculation about a courtship between Jarvis and Almeda?
(a) In the restaurants.
(b) In the Vidette.
(c) In church.
(d) In the women's clubs.
12. Where does Almeda think that Jarvis might take her?
(a) A ride in the country.
(b) The opera.
(c) Dinner and dancing.
(d) Church social.
13. Almeda is not considered to be _______________ yet.
(a) A wealthy woman.
(b) An old maid.
(c) A philanthropist.
(d) An accomplished author.
14. What is the source of Almeda's social withdrawal?
(a) The death of her family members.
(b) Her facial scars.
(c) Her speech impediment.
(d) Her limp.
15. Who is the person that the boys of the town constantly harass?
(c) Queen Aggie.
(d) Mr. Booker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What format is MENESETEUNG?
2. Section 3 introduces which character?
3. According to Almeda, marriage would mean __________________ existence.
4. From what does Almeda suffer?
5. What did Almeda's father leave her when he died?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)