|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the local newspaper in town?
2. Jarvis never escorts Almeda to _____________.
(b) The theater.
(d) The church social.
3. Section 2 explains the _________________ in the town.
(b) Class distinction.
4. What do the boys of the town have time to do?
(a) Get part time jobs.
(b) Clear new roads.
(c) Learn new trades.
(d) Roam the streets looking for trouble.
5. What is Jarvis considered to be regarding marriage?
(a) A suitable prospect.
(b) A loser.
(c) A confirmed bachelor.
(d) Not a good match for Almeda.
6. With what does each of the sections begin?
(a) A few lines from Thoreau.
(b) A few lines from Whitman.
(c) A few lines written by the protagonist.
(d) A few lines from Shakespeare.
7. What is the title of one of Almeda's poems?
(a) Champagne Bubbles Tickle My Mouth.
(b) Champlain at the Mouth of the Meneseteung.
(c) Drinking Champagne on the Meneseteung.
(d) Complaints from the Mouth of Meneseteung.
8. Almeda waits for Jarvis to ________________________.
(a) Finish his tea.
(b) Make the first romantic move.
(c) Ask her to dinner.
(d) Take her out driving
9. How long is school in session each year?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 4 months.
10. What does Almeda try to project around Jarvis?
(a) An aura of availability.
(b) An aura of reserve.
(c) An aura of assurance.
(d) An aura of dependence.
11. Which of the following does not describe the picture of Almeda in the book?
(a) Gray hair.
(c) Rather plain.
(d) Only 25.
12. In what year was the book of poetry written?
13. Where does Almeda think that Jarvis might take her?
(a) Dinner and dancing.
(b) The opera.
(c) A ride in the country.
(d) Church social.
14. Where does Almeda stay most of the time?
(a) At church.
(b) At home.
(c) At school.
(d) At her best friend's house.
15. What is unique about Almeda in her family?
(a) She got gray hair at age 18.
(b) She has a lisp.
(c) She is the last surviving member.
(d) She has one blue eye and one green eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Almeda, men are ______________ creatures.
2. Almeda would rather write about ____________ than cooking.
3. Almeda's family's home sits on what street?
4. What does Jarvis do with Almeda on Sundays?
5. Almeda is not considered to be _______________ yet.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)