|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Umm Saad's favorite child?
2. What is the name of Jadaan's falcon?
3. What is Umm Saad resolved to do?
4. Who does Umm Saad still visit after her move?
5. What does Suhail suddenly do after he puts his arm in the grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Suhail after the graveyard plan?
2. How does Umm Saad support her son at the end of the story?
3. How does Umm Saad want to support her son?
4. How is Jadaan similar to Nar?
5. How is Umm Saad related to the narrator, and how is this revealed?
6. How do the images of Umm Saad vary, regarding her temperament?
7. Briefly describe the story of the Nar.
8. What does Nabil's physical appearance at the beginning of the story say about him?
9. Why does Nabil decide to rob a grave?
10. How does Jadaan show indifference to his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that runs throughout some stories in Men in the Sun, but it especially runs throughout "The Land of the Sad Oranges." How is despair reflected in this story? How does each character feel and show despair? How did hope turn to despair in this story? Remember to answer each question thoroughly with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 2
The themes of courage and cowardice are prominent in "Letter from Gaza." How does cowardice play a role in the story? How does courage play a role in the story? Which display is strongest--the cowardice or the courage, and with whom? Remember to answer each question with specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of "If You Were a Horse" is tragedy. What tragedy occurs in the story? How does the father deal with the tragedy, and how does this affect his son? Remember to answer each question thoroughly with evidence from the story.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)