|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jadaan say about falcons and death?
2. How is Suhail injured?
3. What does Umm Saad say about children?
4. How does Jadaan feel about Mubarak?
5. When did Jadaan fall in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jadaan show indifference to his job?
2. What happens to Suhail after the graveyard plan?
3. Why would it be irrational for Suhail to think that he stuck his fingers in the corpse's eyes?
4. What does Nabil's physical appearance at the beginning of the story say about him?
5. Why does Nabil decide to rob a grave?
6. What is the rumor concerning Jadaan and a red-haired woman?
7. Why does Nabil transfer out of medical school?
8. How does Umm Saad support her son at the end of the story?
9. In "The Falcon," where did the gazelle go when it left, and why?
10. How is Umm Saad related to the narrator, and how is this revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a theme that runs throughout "Men in the Sun" in the form of some of the character's actions and some of their words or the situations they find themselves in. Name three specific instances of irony, and explain why they are ironic. Remember to answer each question thoroughly with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 2
The mother in "The Land of the Sad Oranges" seems to play a background role in the story, but she still plays an important one. What role does the mother play in the story, and how is she portrayed throughout the story? How does she act for the family in their time of need? Remember to answer each question thoroughly with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Falcon," Jadaan and the falcon have many similarities. Describe these similarities using at least three examples. How are they different? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)