|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What background are the guards of, in "The Falcon"?
2. What does Jadaan say about falcons and death?
3. What does Umm Saad say about children?
4. What does Umm Saad wonder about the commander?
5. What would Umm Saad do without her two other children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jadaan do after he met the red-haired woman?
2. Why does Nabil transfer out of medical school?
3. How does Umm Saad support her son at the end of the story?
4. What does Umm Saad think of her other two children?
5. What has Saad done, and how does his mother initially react?
6. How do Nabil and Suhail react upon entering the graveyard?
7. What does Nabil's physical appearance at the beginning of the story say about him?
8. Why would it be irrational for Suhail to think that he stuck his fingers in the corpse's eyes?
9. What does the father's religiousness foreshadow in "A Hand in the Grave"?
10. What unique trait of motherhood does Umm Saad display when speaking about Saad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Falcon" employs various themes, including love, beauty, and death. Many of these themes interact with each other, adding to the complexity and symbolism of the story. What theme is the strongest? What character representation reflects this theme most strongly? What themes complement each other or interact together most often? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is one of the tools used in "Men in the Sun." How does foreshadowing play a role in this story? What happens in the end that fulfills the foreshadowing? Remember to answer each question with evidence and specific examples of instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The mother in "The Land of the Sad Oranges" seems to play a background role in the story, but she still plays an important one. What role does the mother play in the story, and how is she portrayed throughout the story? How does she act for the family in their time of need? Remember to answer each question thoroughly with evidence from the story.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)