|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Abul Khaizarun during the war?
2. What is the name of the horse that the son finds notes on?
3. Why does the father want to do what he is thinking of doing in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
4. How long does Abul Khaizarun actually leave the men in the tank?
5. In "If You Were a Horse," what does this object that the son finds contain?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "If You Were a Horse," why is the son's belief that his father hates him and horses ironic?
2. What did the orange represent in the beginning of "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
3. Why is Abul Khaizarun delayed when he passes through customs?
4. What does a reddish mole predict, according to superstition?
5. Why is Abu Qais hopeless?
6. Why is Abul Khaizarun not married?
7. Why is the father so depressed in "The Land of Sad Oranges"?
8. In "If You Were a Horse," what does the black notebook reveal?
9. In "If You Were a Horse," why does the father refuse to allow his son to perform his surgery?
10. Why did Marwan's father leave Marwan's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is one of the tools used in "Men in the Sun." How does foreshadowing play a role in this story? What happens in the end that fulfills the foreshadowing? Remember to answer each question with evidence and specific examples of instances of foreshadowing in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The mother in "The Land of the Sad Oranges" seems to play a background role in the story, but she still plays an important one. What role does the mother play in the story, and how is she portrayed throughout the story? How does she act for the family in their time of need? Remember to answer each question thoroughly with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"If You Were a Horse" contains a prominent theme of superstition. What is the superstition? How does superstition play a role in the story , and how does the son come to believe it, though his logic tells him otherwise? How does the father feel about superstition? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)