|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Falcon," where are the guards from?
(a) The US.
(b) The desert.
(c) The countryside.
(d) The city.
2. What does the falcon do after finding an object of interest?
(a) He eats too much.
(b) He stays perched on the gazelle.
(c) He flies around all day.
(d) He refuses to eat.
3. Why does Umm Saad feel the way she does about her cousin's statement?
(a) She feels free to do what she wants now.
(b) She feels a relief from the burden of motherhood.
(c) It saddens her to think mothers can be dispensed with so easily.
(d) She feels ashamed of her son.
4. Where does Umm Saad move to?
(a) The city.
(b) Another country.
(c) The country.
(d) The camps.
5. How does Nabil's friend feel when he meets him?
6. Why does Suhail put his arm in the grave instead of Nabil?
(a) His arm is shorter.
(b) He is mentally stronger.
(c) He is stronger.
(d) He is thinner.
7. How does Umm Saad's cousin respond to the idea Umm Saad has of doing something for her son?
(a) He says soldiers always need their mothers.
(b) He says that soldiers have no need for mothers.
(c) He says that she should come up with another idea.
(d) He says that she should follow through with her idea.
8. What does the father call Nabil?
(b) A sinner.
(c) A good man.
(d) A pious Muslim.
9. In "A Hand in the Grave," why does the father feel the way he does?
(a) Because of his son's looks.
(b) Because of his son's position in medical school.
(c) Because he feels that way about everyone.
(d) Because of his son's personality.
10. When Nabil's father asks him why he is tired, what does Nabil reply with?
(a) Someone woke him up too early.
(b) He was out all night.
(c) A list of medical possibilities.
(d) He is sick.
11. What does Jadaan do to his wife?
(a) Spoils her.
(b) Kills her.
(c) Loves her.
(d) Divorces her.
12. In "The Falcon," what does one of the workers call the engineers?
13. How long ago was Jadaan a hunter?
(a) Five years ago.
(b) Ten years ago.
(c) One year ago.
(d) Twenty years ago.
14. In "The Falcon," where does the narrator work?
(b) New Construction Company.
15. What does Umm Saad ask her cousin?
(a) Whether he would go retrieve her son.
(b) Whether he would take care of her other kids.
(c) Whether she should ask the commander to keep an eye on Saad.
(d) Whether she should move to the US.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mubarak feel around Jadaan?
2. What happens to the falcon after a week?
3. Who offers to do the task alone first in "A Hand in the Grave"?
4. Where did Umm Saad used to live?
5. What happens to Suhail at the end of the story?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)