|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
(b) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
(c) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
(d) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
2. What is the setting of Scene 2?
(a) A courtroom.
(b) The streets of Beijing.
(c) A flat in China.
(d) A party in a chic parlor.
3. How was the woman Isabelle important in Gallimard's life?
(a) She was his first sexual experience.
(b) She was his sister.
(c) She was the first woman Marc ever loved.
(d) She was the first woman he ever loved.
4. What does Song say she has never done before?
(a) Invited a man up to her flat.
(b) Talked to a man.
(c) Sang for a white person.
(d) Thought of any man the way she thinks of Gallimard.
5. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
(a) "Death with honor is better than life. Life with dishonor."
(b) "Death without honor is worse in life. Life is dishonor."
(c) "Death in life is worse than death. Death is life."
(d) "Life is no worse than death. This life is dishonor."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women has Marc slept with since he got married?
2. What does Song think of the story of Madame Butterfly?
3. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
4. How much does Pinkerton pay for Butterfly?
5. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)