|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
(b) To protect her.
(c) He has no interest in her.
(d) He was afraid of scandal.
2. How does Gallimard describe his meetings with Song after her weekly performances?
(d) Full of pleasure.
3. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(b) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
(c) He will kill her baby.
(d) He will force her to leave her family.
4. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
5. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
(b) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
(c) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
(d) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
2. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
3. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
4. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
5. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)