|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
(a) That is it small.
(b) That it is new.
(c) That it is submissive.
(d) That it is old.
2. What it the setting of Scene 6?
(a) His flat in Beijing.
(b) The Australian ambassador's house.
(c) The German ambassador's house.
(d) His flat in Paris.
3. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
(a) "Death with honor is better than life. Life with dishonor."
(b) "Death without honor is worse in life. Life is dishonor."
(c) "Life is no worse than death. This life is dishonor."
(d) "Death in life is worse than death. Death is life."
4. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
(a) Her sleeves.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A sword.
5. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
(a) They are an incredibly arrogant people.
(b) They are an amazing people.
(c) They are a people with a rich heritage.
(d) They are a young people.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
2. Where did Helga go on the night Gallimard went to the opera house?
3. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
4. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
5. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)