|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
(a) It is the first time he understands her death.
(b) It is the first time he sees the beauty of the story.
(c) It is the first time he sees the truth of the story.
(d) It is the first time he is angry at Pinkerton.
2. What does Song say about the soul of China?
(a) It is rooted two thousand years in the past.
(b) It is unwilling to learn from its mistakes..
(c) It is much older than the soul of France.
(d) It is a forward-thinking society.
3. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will kill her baby.
(b) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(c) He will force her to leave her family.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
4. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Small men in drag.
(b) Huge women in bad makeup.
(c) Huge women in viking helmets.
(d) Huge men in bad makeup.
5. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I loved money."
(b) "I loved the perfect woman."
(c) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
(d) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
2. What does Song call Gallimard?
3. What does Marc compare a pool full of naked women to?
4. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
5. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)