|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Massasoit sick?
2. Why did the Great Migration come to an end in the early 1640s?
3. What did some of the Wessagussett settlers trade for food?
4. What vandalism in 1675 caused Governor Winslow to ask for assistance from the Massachusetts Bay colony?
5. Who did Bradford blame for the difficulties the Pilgrims had paying off the colony's debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
2. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
3. Why in the early 1640s did the Great Migration come to an end?
4. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
5. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
6. What did Roger Williams do when the Indians attacked Providence?
7. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
8. Why did Thomas Morton represent everything the Pilgrims had come to America to escape?
9. What marvelous change came upon Bradford as his health declined in May of 1657?
10. What happened because the children of the Pilgrims chose to pursue economic prosperity at the expense of the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims believed that God played a role in their destiny, but they also did not hesitate to do whatever needed to be done to take charge of their own destiny. Explain incidents that demonstrate how the Pilgrims took charge of their own destiny.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Pastor John Robinson writes about the ruffling course that the Pilgrims began with the Wessagusett raid. Argue whether Robinson's words proved to be prophetic or did not prove to be prophetic given the ultimate course of New England's history.
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)