|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ability had the Pilgrims temporarily ruined after the Wessagusett raid?
2. Who succeeded Bradford as governor?
3. Who believed that the only good Indian was a dead Indian?
4. How many ships arrived in New England in 1630?
5. What type of a new American came into being after King Philip's War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
2. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
3. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
4. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
5. Describe the story that Church tells at the conclusion of his account of the war.
6. Describe John Eliot's missionary work with the Indians.
7. What marvelous change came upon Bradford as his health declined in May of 1657?
8. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
9. Why did the New Englanders decide to attack the Narragansetts?
10. How was Standish's influence seen as the Pilgrims gathered for Sunday worship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims had a very difficult first year, but they survived where other colonies failed. Explain why the Pilgrims were able to create a successful colony.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether Dorothy Bradford committed suicide or if she simply fell overboard. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)