|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only Englishman in Sakonnet?
2. Who was the settlement leader of Wessagussett in 1623?
3. What diseases afflicted the Pokanokets in 1634?
4. What did Massasoit put at the bottom of his last Plymouth land deed?
5. What did some Massachusetts authorities consider building when conditions became so desperate and winter was approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marvelous change came upon Bradford as his health declined in May of 1657?
2. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
3. Describe John Eliot's missionary work with the Indians.
4. How was Standish's influence seen as the Pilgrims gathered for Sunday worship?
5. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
6. What happened because the children of the Pilgrims chose to pursue economic prosperity at the expense of the Indians?
7. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
8. Who refused to forgive the Pilgrims for "the killing of those poor Indians."
9. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
10. How did Standish kill Wituwamat and Pecksuot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that when violence and fear grip a society, it is easy to demonize the enemy as justification for violent actions. Discuss how the Pilgrims and/or the Indians justified violence by demonizing one another throughout the many conflicts that occurred between the groups.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)