|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bradford learn died in 1625?
2. Who was the sachem of Sakonnet?
3. Where were the Praying Indians relocated in Chapter 14?
4. What was the name of the settlement north of Wessagusett in modern Braintree?
5. Why did the Great Migration come to an end in the early 1640s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
2. Describe the story that Church tells at the conclusion of his account of the war.
3. Why did Awashonks not want to drink the rum that Church brought?
4. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
5. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
6. Why did Thomas Morton represent everything the Pilgrims had come to America to escape?
7. Describe John Eliot's missionary work with the Indians.
8. What marvelous change came upon Bradford as his health declined in May of 1657?
9. What happened because the children of the Pilgrims chose to pursue economic prosperity at the expense of the Indians?
10. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims had refused the services of John Smith because they wanted no Stranger to tell them what to do. Instead, the Pilgrims, whether they realized it or not, came under the control of Squanto. Explain how Squanto manipulated the Pilgrims and their relationship with Massasoit.
Essay Topic 2
A common theme throughout the book is the Puritan belief that everything in life happens for a reason. Explain this belief, how it affected the Puritan's daily lives, and show examples of incidents the Puritans believed occurred because God made them occur.
Essay Topic 3
Some say that the Pilgrims' passion and fervor that enabled them to survive those first grim years threatened to darken into a "mean-spirited fanaticism." Using examples from the book, argue whether you think the Pilgrims did or did not become mean-spirited fanatics.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)