|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prophecy had Philip's pow-wows spoken about his death?
2. Why was Massasoit sick?
3. Who was the only Englishman in Sakonnet?
4. What English woman was taken captive in Lancaster?
5. What was a shocking outrage to the Puritans at Kickemuit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Thomas Morton represent everything the Pilgrims had come to America to escape?
2. Why did the Plymouth's debilitating food shortages end in the fall of 1623?
3. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
4. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
5. What process did Plymouth use to remove potentially dangerous Native men and boys?
6. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
7. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
8. Toward the end of the war, what did the Englishmen view as a humane alternative to death and torture?
9. Describe the story that Church tells at the conclusion of his account of the war.
10. What happened because the children of the Pilgrims chose to pursue economic prosperity at the expense of the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although King Philip's War became a racial war, it was also caused by greed. Explain how greed led Philip and the English into the conflict and what gain the parties expected to obtain from the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the Plymouth colony and the Massachusetts Bay colony, and explain why or why not the Pilgrims should have settled at Boston rather than Plymouth.
Essay Topic 3
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)