|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought the Mount Hope Peninsula went it was for sale in 1680?
2. When was Bradford's "Of Plymouth Plantation" published?
3. Why did the Great Migration come to an end in the early 1640s?
4. In December 1675, who became the leader of over 1,000 English soldiers?
5. Who began equipping the Natives Americans with guns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who refused to forgive the Pilgrims for "the killing of those poor Indians."
2. Describe John Eliot's missionary work with the Indians.
3. Why did Thomas Morton represent everything the Pilgrims had come to America to escape?
4. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
5. What did Roger Williams do when the Indians attacked Providence?
6. How was Standish's influence seen as the Pilgrims gathered for Sunday worship?
7. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
8. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
9. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
10. Toward the end of the war, what did the Englishmen view as a humane alternative to death and torture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the war between Philip and Plymouth escalated from a simple political conflict to a full fledged war between races. Explain how different events and actions of the combatants escalated the regional conflict.
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, a Frenchmen told his Indian captors that "God was angry with them for their wickedness, and would destroy them and give their country to another people." Argue whether King Philip's war was or was not God's vengeance on the Indians.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)