|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In December 1675, who became the leader of over 1,000 English soldiers?
2. Who bought the Mount Hope Peninsula went it was for sale in 1680?
3. What English woman was taken captive in Lancaster?
4. To what did Massasoit's sons change their names?
5. What nation did Massasoit establish during the years after the Wessagussett raid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
2. What process did Plymouth use to remove potentially dangerous Native men and boys?
3. Toward the end of the war, what did the Englishmen view as a humane alternative to death and torture?
4. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
5. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
6. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
7. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
8. Why did the New Englanders decide to attack the Narragansetts?
9. Describe the story that Church tells at the conclusion of his account of the war.
10. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, a Frenchmen told his Indian captors that "God was angry with them for their wickedness, and would destroy them and give their country to another people." Argue whether King Philip's war was or was not God's vengeance on the Indians.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the war between Philip and Plymouth escalated from a simple political conflict to a full fledged war between races. Explain how different events and actions of the combatants escalated the regional conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)