|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In December 1675, who became the leader of over 1,000 English soldiers?
2. How many ships arrived in New England in 1630?
3. What was a shocking outrage to the Puritans at Kickemuit?
4. What ominous event occurred the night of June 26, 1675.
5. In Chapter 15, where does Church move his wife and son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Plymouth's debilitating food shortages end in the fall of 1623?
2. Why did Awashonks not want to drink the rum that Church brought?
3. What did Roger Williams do when the Indians attacked Providence?
4. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
5. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
6. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
7. What happened because the children of the Pilgrims chose to pursue economic prosperity at the expense of the Indians?
8. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
9. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
10. Why did the New Englanders decide to attack the Narragansetts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the war between Philip and Plymouth escalated from a simple political conflict to a full fledged war between races. Explain how different events and actions of the combatants escalated the regional conflict.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that there are two possible responses to a world gripped by terror and contention. The first to get mad and get even, and the second is to use coercion rather than slaughter. Explain these two responses to an enemy and compare individuals in the book who used these responses. Does one way get better results? Why or why not?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)