|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In December 1675, who became the leader of over 1,000 English soldiers?
2. Who does Church meet with at the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. How did the Indians cross the Bacquag River?
4. Which group of Indians became the first in New England to disown Philip?
5. What did Thomas Morton build instead of a wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened because the children of the Pilgrims chose to pursue economic prosperity at the expense of the Indians?
2. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
3. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
4. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
5. Describe John Eliot's missionary work with the Indians.
6. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
7. Why did the New Englanders decide to attack the Narragansetts?
8. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
9. Who refused to forgive the Pilgrims for "the killing of those poor Indians."
10. Why in the early 1640s did the Great Migration come to an end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
Essay Topic 2
Some might say it is contradictory for people with strong religious beliefs to use violence to suit their purposes. Argue why you think it was or was not contradictory for the Pilgrims to use violence. Use specific examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Plymouth colony and the Massachusetts Bay colony, and explain why or why not the Pilgrims should have settled at Boston rather than Plymouth.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)