|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What man was one of the first New Englanders to embrace the wilderness?
2. What did some Massachusetts authorities consider building when conditions became so desperate and winter was approaching?
3. What diseases afflicted the Pokanokets in 1634?
4. Toward the end of the war, what did the New Englanders do with Indian captives?
5. What ability had the Pilgrims temporarily ruined after the Wessagusett raid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the war between Philip and Plymouth escalated from a simple political conflict to a full fledged war between races. Explain how different events and actions of the combatants escalated the regional conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)