|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became the economic center of the region after 1660?
2. Who was the only Englishman in Sakonnet?
3. Who began equipping the Natives Americans with guns?
4. Who bought the Mount Hope Peninsula went it was for sale in 1680?
5. What did Winslow designate Thursday, June 24, 1675?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
2. Why did the Plymouth's debilitating food shortages end in the fall of 1623?
3. Who refused to forgive the Pilgrims for "the killing of those poor Indians."
4. Why did the New Englanders decide to attack the Narragansetts?
5. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
6. Why did Awashonks not want to drink the rum that Church brought?
7. Why in the early 1640s did the Great Migration come to an end?
8. Describe the conditions at the colony of Wessagusett.
9. How did Standish kill Wituwamat and Pecksuot?
10. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether Dorothy Bradford committed suicide or if she simply fell overboard. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims had refused the services of John Smith because they wanted no Stranger to tell them what to do. Instead, the Pilgrims, whether they realized it or not, came under the control of Squanto. Explain how Squanto manipulated the Pilgrims and their relationship with Massasoit.
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)