|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of the land in New England was suitable for farming?
2. Which group of Indians became the first in New England to disown Philip?
3. How did the Indians cross the Bacquag River?
4. What did the Pilgrims insist be secured before any Native land purchases could proceed?
5. In December 1675, who became the leader of over 1,000 English soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
2. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
3. What did Roger Williams do when the Indians attacked Providence?
4. What marvelous change came upon Bradford as his health declined in May of 1657?
5. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
6. Why did Awashonks not want to drink the rum that Church brought?
7. Toward the end of the war, what did the Englishmen view as a humane alternative to death and torture?
8. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
9. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
10. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether Dorothy Bradford committed suicide or if she simply fell overboard. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Some might say it is contradictory for people with strong religious beliefs to use violence to suit their purposes. Argue why you think it was or was not contradictory for the Pilgrims to use violence. Use specific examples from the book to support your argument.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)