|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Massasoit sick?
2. What isolated town was attached by the Nipmucks on August 2, 1675?
3. Who did Bradford learn died in 1625?
4. Who succeeded Bradford as governor?
5. Which colony had relied on friendly Indians from the very start of the conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Awashonks not want to drink the rum that Church brought?
2. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
3. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
4. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
5. How did Standish kill Wituwamat and Pecksuot?
6. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
7. Toward the end of the war, what did the Englishmen view as a humane alternative to death and torture?
8. What marvelous change came upon Bradford as his health declined in May of 1657?
9. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
10. Why did the New Englanders decide to attack the Narragansetts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some might say it is contradictory for people with strong religious beliefs to use violence to suit their purposes. Argue why you think it was or was not contradictory for the Pilgrims to use violence. Use specific examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims believed that God played a role in their destiny, but they also did not hesitate to do whatever needed to be done to take charge of their own destiny. Explain incidents that demonstrate how the Pilgrims took charge of their own destiny.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why there was a controversy between some Indians and some Englishmen regarding the murder and the punishment of Arthur Peach and his cohorts. What motives were behind the controversy?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)