Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was the cargo worth that the Pilgrims sent back on the Fortune?
2. What did Edward Winslow do on May 12?
3. What two gifts did Winslow and Hopkins take to Massasoit in July of 1621?
4. When did the Mayflower arrive at Provincetown Harbor?
5. On the voyage, how many women were pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Plymouth's debilitating food shortages end in the fall of 1623?
2. Why didn't the Indians and English of Plymouth Colony live in peaceful harmony all of those first fifty-five years?
3. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
4. What process did Plymouth use to remove potentially dangerous Native men and boys?
5. Why did Philip want the English to draw first blood?
6. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
7. Describe the story that Church tells at the conclusion of his account of the war.
8. Where should the Pilgrims have settled rather than Plymouth?
9. What one clue did Bradford leave that might indicate how he felt about the death of his wife?
10. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
Essay Topic 1
A common theme throughout the book is the Puritan belief that everything in life happens for a reason. Explain this belief, how it affected the Puritan's daily lives, and show examples of incidents the Puritans believed occurred because God made them occur.
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims had a very difficult first year, but they survived where other colonies failed. Explain why the Pilgrims were able to create a successful colony.
Essay Topic 3
During their search for a location for their settlement, the Pilgrims found some Indian Corn, and they stole it knowing there might be repercussions. Prepare arguments explaining whether the Pilgrims should or should not have stolen the corn. Are there ever circumstances that make stealing the right course of action?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)