|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cape Cod known for?
2. What group of investors did Thomas Weston represent?
3. What happened to Squanto at the end of Chapter 8?
4. Who allowed war to happen?
5. What was Massasoit's first impulse to do with the English?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
2. Why did the Separatists decide to leave Amsterdam?
3. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
4. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
5. What decision did passengers of the Mayflower have to make now that they were near land?
6. How did Thomas Hunt damage Indian-English relations in New England for decades?
7. Why were the Pokanokets in a desperate struggle to maintain their existence as a people?
8. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
9. Why were the Pilgrims familiar with turkeys?
10. Describe the passengers' quarters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims had a very difficult first year, but they survived where other colonies failed. Explain why the Pilgrims were able to create a successful colony.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Pastor John Robinson writes about the ruffling course that the Pilgrims began with the Wessagusett raid. Argue whether Robinson's words proved to be prophetic or did not prove to be prophetic given the ultimate course of New England's history.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)