|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Italian explorer had come to Narragansett Bay as early as 1524?
2. What was the name of the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor?
3. What was the name of an ominous Pokanokets spirit of darkness?
4. What group of investors did Thomas Weston represent?
5. What was the name of Massasoit's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first venture ashore.
2. Why did the future site of Pymouth Plantation come do well recommended?
3. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
4. Why were the Pokanokets in a desperate struggle to maintain their existence as a people?
5. Describe how an Indian named Epenow persuaded his English abductors to return him to the New World.
6. What one clue did Bradford leave that might indicate how he felt about the death of his wife?
7. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
8. Why did the Pilgrims decide to build a wall around their community?
9. Where should the Pilgrims have settled rather than Plymouth?
10. Who did the passengers choose as the leader for the colony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Pastor John Robinson writes about the ruffling course that the Pilgrims began with the Wessagusett raid. Argue whether Robinson's words proved to be prophetic or did not prove to be prophetic given the ultimate course of New England's history.
Essay Topic 2
The author states that there are two possible responses to a world gripped by terror and contention. The first to get mad and get even, and the second is to use coercion rather than slaughter. Explain these two responses to an enemy and compare individuals in the book who used these responses. Does one way get better results? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims had a very difficult first year, but they survived where other colonies failed. Explain why the Pilgrims were able to create a successful colony.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)