|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did the Pilgrim's first Indian visitor spend the night?
2. What had killed many of the Indians in the area?
3. What Italian explorer had come to Narragansett Bay as early as 1524?
4. What happened to Squanto at the end of Chapter 8?
5. What people were not affected by the disease in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What food did the passengers find on shore?
2. Why was it illegal for the Separatists to have their own church services?
3. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
4. Describe Standish's first expedition to look for a potential settlement site.
5. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
6. Describe the first venture ashore.
7. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
8. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
9. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
10. How did Weston betray the Pilgrims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Plymouth colony and the Massachusetts Bay colony, and explain why or why not the Pilgrims should have settled at Boston rather than Plymouth.
Essay Topic 2
A common theme throughout the book is the Puritan belief that everything in life happens for a reason. Explain this belief, how it affected the Puritan's daily lives, and show examples of incidents the Puritans believed occurred because God made them occur.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)