|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Mayflower arrive at Provincetown Harbor?
2. Where did Jones decide they were near as the Mayflower headed toward shore?
3. What was the first building built by the Pilgrims?
4. What had killed many of the Indians in the area?
5. What Indian tribe did the Pilgrims befriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Pilgrims familiar with turkeys?
2. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
3. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
4. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
5. Why wasn't the terrain surrounding Plymouth a primeval forest?
6. Describe Standish's first expedition to look for a potential settlement site.
7. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
8. Describe the passengers' quarters.
9. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
10. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the war between Philip and Plymouth escalated from a simple political conflict to a full fledged war between races. Explain how different events and actions of the combatants escalated the regional conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
Essay Topic 3
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)