|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Pilgrims had their first Indian visitor in Chapter 6. How was he armed?
2. Where did Bradford go to worship when he became uneasy with the way God was worshipped in Austerfield?
3. What happened to Squanto at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What sachem tried to have Squanto killed in Chapter 7?
5. What happened after more than fifty years of peace between the Pilgrims and the Native Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it illegal for the Separatists to have their own church services?
2. What disparity did Quadequina notice after the treaty between the Indians and the Pilgrims was signed?
3. How did the master of the Speedwell work against the Pilgrims?
4. Why did the Seaflower depart from New England bound for the Caribbean in 1676?
5. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
6. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
7. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
8. Why did the Pilgrims decide to build a wall around their community?
9. How did the Pilgrims solve the problem of having to entertain and feed a continual stream of Indian visitors?
10. Why did the future site of Pymouth Plantation come do well recommended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
There are several theories regarding what started the war between the English and King Philip. Explain the different theories and why one theory for the cause of the war is more plausible than other theories.
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims had refused the services of John Smith because they wanted no Stranger to tell them what to do. Instead, the Pilgrims, whether they realized it or not, came under the control of Squanto. Explain how Squanto manipulated the Pilgrims and their relationship with Massasoit.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)