|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Pilgrims had their first Indian visitor in Chapter 6. How was he armed?
2. What Indian, besides the Indian who first visited the Pilgrims, could also speak English?
3. On the voyage, how many women were pregnant?
4. What explorer did Massasoit attack when the explorer arrived one summer after the Indians had been attacked?
5. What member of the Mayflower crew decided to stay in Plymouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision did passengers of the Mayflower have to make now that they were near land?
2. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
3. Why were the Pilgrims familiar with turkeys?
4. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
5. Describe John Eliot's missionary work with the Indians.
6. What food did the passengers find on shore?
7. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
8. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
9. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
10. How did Standish kill Wituwamat and Pecksuot?
Essay Topic 1
Some might say it is contradictory for people with strong religious beliefs to use violence to suit their purposes. Argue why you think it was or was not contradictory for the Pilgrims to use violence. Use specific examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether Dorothy Bradford committed suicide or if she simply fell overboard. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)