|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of an ominous Pokanokets spirit of darkness?
2. What did Bradford learn at the end of Chapter 4?
3. Where did Jones decide they were near as the Mayflower headed toward shore?
4. What did Susanna and William White name their son?
5. What people were not affected by the disease in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't the terrain surrounding Plymouth a primeval forest?
2. How did Weston betray the Pilgrims?
3. What did Roger Williams do when the Indians attacked Providence?
4. Why were the Massachusetts planning to attack Wessagusett and Plymouth?
5. What became the focus of the children and grandchildren of the Pilgrims?
6. Describe the first venture ashore.
7. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
8. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
9. How was Standish's influence seen as the Pilgrims gathered for Sunday worship?
10. What evidence has been found that show the degree to which Western goods became of part of Indian life?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consequences of the war with Philip and why the victory might be considered a Pyrrhic victory for the English.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, a Frenchmen told his Indian captors that "God was angry with them for their wickedness, and would destroy them and give their country to another people." Argue whether King Philip's war was or was not God's vengeance on the Indians.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why there was a controversy between some Indians and some Englishmen regarding the murder and the punishment of Arthur Peach and his cohorts. What motives were behind the controversy?
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)