|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Francis Billington claim to see when he climbed a tree on Fort Hill?
2. What Pilgrim went with Squanto to greet the sachem?
3. Who sent a scathing letter with the ship that arrived in November, 1621?
4. On the voyage, how many women were pregnant?
5. What was the author researching when he decided to learn more about the Pilgrims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Separatists decide to leave Amsterdam?
2. What decision did passengers of the Mayflower have to make now that they were near land?
3. Why did the Pilgrims decide to build a wall around their community?
4. Why were the Pilgrims familiar with turkeys?
5. Why was it illegal for the Separatists to have their own church services?
6. What disparity did Quadequina notice after the treaty between the Indians and the Pilgrims was signed?
7. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
8. Who did the passengers choose as the leader for the colony?
9. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
10. How did the master of the Speedwell work against the Pilgrims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, a Frenchmen told his Indian captors that "God was angry with them for their wickedness, and would destroy them and give their country to another people." Argue whether King Philip's war was or was not God's vengeance on the Indians.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that there are two possible responses to a world gripped by terror and contention. The first to get mad and get even, and the second is to use coercion rather than slaughter. Explain these two responses to an enemy and compare individuals in the book who used these responses. Does one way get better results? Why or why not?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)