|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cape Cod known for?
2. What event, according to the author, do most Americans associate with the birth of the United States?
3. What Indian, besides the Indian who first visited the Pilgrims, could also speak English?
4. What Indian tribe did the Pilgrims befriend?
5. How many men signed the agreement before the Mayflower landed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the master of the Speedwell work against the Pilgrims?
2. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
3. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
4. Why wasn't the terrain surrounding Plymouth a primeval forest?
5. How did Weston betray the Pilgrims?
6. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
7. How did the Pilgrims solve the problem of having to entertain and feed a continual stream of Indian visitors?
8. Who did the passengers choose as the leader for the colony?
9. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
10. Why were the Pokanokets in a desperate struggle to maintain their existence as a people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that there are two possible responses to a world gripped by terror and contention. The first to get mad and get even, and the second is to use coercion rather than slaughter. Explain these two responses to an enemy and compare individuals in the book who used these responses. Does one way get better results? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims believed that God played a role in their destiny, but they also did not hesitate to do whatever needed to be done to take charge of their own destiny. Explain incidents that demonstrate how the Pilgrims took charge of their own destiny.
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims had a very difficult first year, but they survived where other colonies failed. Explain why the Pilgrims were able to create a successful colony.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)