|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Pilgrims wish they could catch?
2. What Indian, besides the Indian who first visited the Pilgrims, could also speak English?
3. What did the Pilgrims do on November 12?
4. With the arrival of a ship in November of 1621, how many men and women were in Plymouth Colony?
5. What English explorer sailed from Maine in a small open boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Pokanokets in a desperate struggle to maintain their existence as a people?
2. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
3. Describe the first venture ashore.
4. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
5. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
6. Why were the Pilgrims familiar with turkeys?
7. Describe how an Indian named Epenow persuaded his English abductors to return him to the New World.
8. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
9. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
10. How did Thomas Hunt damage Indian-English relations in New England for decades?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the war between Philip and Plymouth escalated from a simple political conflict to a full fledged war between races. Explain how different events and actions of the combatants escalated the regional conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Some might say it is contradictory for people with strong religious beliefs to use violence to suit their purposes. Argue why you think it was or was not contradictory for the Pilgrims to use violence. Use specific examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why there was a controversy between some Indians and some Englishmen regarding the murder and the punishment of Arthur Peach and his cohorts. What motives were behind the controversy?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)