|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men did not sign the agreement before the Mayflower landed?
2. What was William Bradford's occupation?
3. The Pilgrims had their first Indian visitor in Chapter 6. How was he armed?
4. Who told the Pilgrims that Squanto was plotting against them?
5. Where did Jones decide they were near as the Mayflower headed toward shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where should the Pilgrims have settled rather than Plymouth?
2. Why did the future site of Pymouth Plantation come do well recommended?
3. Why did Massasoit want Squanto to die in Chapter 8?
4. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
5. What disparity did Quadequina notice after the treaty between the Indians and the Pilgrims was signed?
6. Describe Standish's first expedition to look for a potential settlement site.
7. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
8. What one clue did Bradford leave that might indicate how he felt about the death of his wife?
9. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
10. Why did the Seaflower depart from New England bound for the Caribbean in 1676?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although King Philip's War became a racial war, it was also caused by greed. Explain how greed led Philip and the English into the conflict and what gain the parties expected to obtain from the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims had refused the services of John Smith because they wanted no Stranger to tell them what to do. Instead, the Pilgrims, whether they realized it or not, came under the control of Squanto. Explain how Squanto manipulated the Pilgrims and their relationship with Massasoit.
Essay Topic 3
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)