|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of investors did Thomas Weston represent?
2. Where did Bradford go to worship when he became uneasy with the way God was worshipped in Austerfield?
3. What happened after more than fifty years of peace between the Pilgrims and the Native Americans?
4. What did the Pokanokets call their creator god?
5. Why did Bradford not execute Squanto for his role in the plot to overthrow Massasoit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What food did the passengers find on shore?
2. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
3. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
4. What decision did passengers of the Mayflower have to make now that they were near land?
5. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
6. Why did the Pilgrims decide to build a wall around their community?
7. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
8. What one clue did Bradford leave that might indicate how he felt about the death of his wife?
9. Describe the passengers' quarters.
10. How did the Pilgrims solve the problem of having to entertain and feed a continual stream of Indian visitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme throughout the book is the Puritan belief that everything in life happens for a reason. Explain this belief, how it affected the Puritan's daily lives, and show examples of incidents the Puritans believed occurred because God made them occur.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, a Frenchmen told his Indian captors that "God was angry with them for their wickedness, and would destroy them and give their country to another people." Argue whether King Philip's war was or was not God's vengeance on the Indians.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)