|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did William Bradford marry?
2. What was Massasoit's brother's name?
3. What did Susanna and William White name their son?
4. How much was the cargo worth that the Pilgrims sent back on the Fortune?
5. Who allowed war to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
2. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
3. Why didn't the Indians and English of Plymouth Colony live in peaceful harmony all of those first fifty-five years?
4. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
5. Why did Massasoit want Squanto to die in Chapter 8?
6. How did Weston betray the Pilgrims?
7. What food did the passengers find on shore?
8. Hobbamock was a pniese. What is a pniese?
9. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
10. Describe the first venture ashore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During their search for a location for their settlement, the Pilgrims found some Indian Corn, and they stole it knowing there might be repercussions. Prepare arguments explaining whether the Pilgrims should or should not have stolen the corn. Are there ever circumstances that make stealing the right course of action?
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims had refused the services of John Smith because they wanted no Stranger to tell them what to do. Instead, the Pilgrims, whether they realized it or not, came under the control of Squanto. Explain how Squanto manipulated the Pilgrims and their relationship with Massasoit.
Essay Topic 3
The Pilgrims had a very difficult first year, but they survived where other colonies failed. Explain why the Pilgrims were able to create a successful colony.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)