|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship appeared at Provincetown Harbor in November of 1621?
2. What two gifts did Winslow and Hopkins take to Massasoit in July of 1621?
3. Who had the Pilgrims considered asking to be their military leader?
4. How much was the cargo worth that the Pilgrims sent back on the Fortune?
5. What did the Pilgrims wish they could catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Separatists decide to leave Amsterdam?
2. Hobbamock was a pniese. What is a pniese?
3. How did the Pilgrims solve the problem of having to entertain and feed a continual stream of Indian visitors?
4. Who did the passengers choose as the leader for the colony?
5. Why didn't the Indians and English of Plymouth Colony live in peaceful harmony all of those first fifty-five years?
6. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
7. What one clue did Bradford leave that might indicate how he felt about the death of his wife?
8. How did Weston betray the Pilgrims?
9. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
10. Describe the passengers' quarters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that there are two possible responses to a world gripped by terror and contention. The first to get mad and get even, and the second is to use coercion rather than slaughter. Explain these two responses to an enemy and compare individuals in the book who used these responses. Does one way get better results? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme throughout the book is the Puritan belief that everything in life happens for a reason. Explain this belief, how it affected the Puritan's daily lives, and show examples of incidents the Puritans believed occurred because God made them occur.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Pastor John Robinson writes about the ruffling course that the Pilgrims began with the Wessagusett raid. Argue whether Robinson's words proved to be prophetic or did not prove to be prophetic given the ultimate course of New England's history.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)