|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long can Indian corn be stored without spoiling?
2. Who accompanied an English explorer who sailed from Maine in a small open boat?
3. What was the first building built by the Pilgrims?
4. What English explorer sailed from Maine in a small open boat?
5. Where did the Pilgrim's plan to build their houses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
2. Describe the first venture ashore.
3. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
4. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
5. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
6. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
7. What disparity did Quadequina notice after the treaty between the Indians and the Pilgrims was signed?
8. Describe Standish's first expedition to look for a potential settlement site.
9. Why did the future site of Pymouth Plantation come do well recommended?
10. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some might say it is contradictory for people with strong religious beliefs to use violence to suit their purposes. Argue why you think it was or was not contradictory for the Pilgrims to use violence. Use specific examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
Essay Topic 3
Some say that the Pilgrims' passion and fervor that enabled them to survive those first grim years threatened to darken into a "mean-spirited fanaticism." Using examples from the book, argue whether you think the Pilgrims did or did not become mean-spirited fanatics.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)