|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tradition began with the women of the Mayflower?
2. What sachem tried to have Squanto killed in Chapter 7?
3. Who had the Pilgrims considered asking to be their military leader?
4. When did the Mayflower set sail for England?
5. What is the title of an Indian leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
2. Describe the passengers' quarters.
3. What one clue did Bradford leave that might indicate how he felt about the death of his wife?
4. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
5. Why was it illegal for the Separatists to have their own church services?
6. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
7. Why did the Seaflower depart from New England bound for the Caribbean in 1676?
8. Describe Standish's first expedition to look for a potential settlement site.
9. Where should the Pilgrims have settled rather than Plymouth?
10. How did Thomas Hunt damage Indian-English relations in New England for decades?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Massasoit's first impulse was to curse the Pilgrims. Explain the people, fears, or events that led him to befriend the Pilgrims rather than cursing them.
Essay Topic 2
The Pilgrims left England because of intolerant attitudes toward their religious beliefs. How did the Pilgrims have the same type of intolerant attitude toward the Strangers and others when they settled in the New World?
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether Dorothy Bradford committed suicide or if she simply fell overboard. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)