|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Pilgrims decide not to settle at Cold Harbor?
(a) The harbor was too shallow.
(b) There was no source of fresh water.
(c) It was too cold.
(d) There was not enough shelter.
2. What treacherous area of water did the Mayflower encounter after 1 p.m. as they approached the New World?
(a) Pollack Rip.
(b) Back side breakers.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) Cape Cod shoals.
3. Which explorer drew a map of the area in 1605?
(b) John Smith.
(d) Thomas Dermer.
4. What sachem tried to have Squanto killed in Chapter 7?
5. Who did William Bradford marry?
(a) Delphina Smythe.
(b) Susanna White.
(c) Dorothy May.
(d) Elizabeth Brewster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the author to write about the Pilgrims?
2. What was the author researching when he decided to learn more about the Pilgrims?
3. What was the biggest problem with the arrival of another ship in November of 1621?
4. How many people were on board the Mayflower?
5. What was Cape Cod known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hobbamock was a pniese. What is a pniese?
2. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
3. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
4. How did the master of the Speedwell work against the Pilgrims?
5. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
6. Why did Massasoit want Squanto to die in Chapter 8?
7. How did the Pilgrims solve the problem of having to entertain and feed a continual stream of Indian visitors?
8. Where should the Pilgrims have settled rather than Plymouth?
9. Why were the Pokanokets in a desperate struggle to maintain their existence as a people?
10. What decision did passengers of the Mayflower have to make now that they were near land?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)