|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had the Pilgrims considered asking to be their military leader?
(a) John Cabot.
(b) Jacques Cartier.
(d) John Smith.
2. Who was the Nauset sachem?
3. Where did the Pilgrims live most of their time in Holland?
4. What were the holes along the trail that Winslow and Hopkins traveled in July of 1621?
(a) Mole holes.
(b) Storage pits.
(c) Shallow graves.
(d) Memory holes.
5. What was the author researching when he decided to learn more about the Pilgrims?
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) Nantucket Island.
(d) Plymouth Colony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bradford not execute Squanto for his role in the plot to overthrow Massasoit?
2. What Italian explorer had come to Narragansett Bay as early as 1524?
3. What area did Jones likely follow as the Mayflower headed south?
4. Where did Jones decide they were near as the Mayflower headed toward shore?
5. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't the Indians and English of Plymouth Colony live in peaceful harmony all of those first fifty-five years?
2. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
3. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
4. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
5. What food did the passengers find on shore?
6. How was Standish's influence seen as the Pilgrims gathered for Sunday worship?
7. How did Philip resort to deception to create an alliance with the Mohawks?
8. What did Roger Williams do when the Indians attacked Providence?
9. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
10. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)