|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a third name for the spirit that Massasoit's people associated with death, night, and the bitter northeast wind?
2. What formal and binding agreement was signed before the passengers went ashore?
(a) Pilgrim Compact.
(b) Freedom of Religion Compact.
(c) Plymouth Charter.
(d) Mayflower Compact.
3. What did Susanna and William White name their son?
4. Who wrote a book about the voyage of the Mayflower?
(a) John Robinson.
(b) William Bradford.
(c) William Brewster.
(d) Robert Cushman.
5. Where did Jones decide they were near as the Mayflower headed toward shore?
(a) Hudson River
(d) Cape Cod.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people died each day in February and March, 1621?
2. What was the biggest problem with the arrival of another ship in November of 1621?
3. What evidence that the Indians had lived at Plymouth remained?
4. What ship did the Pilgrims purchase?
5. How many sachems came on September 13 to sign a treaty professing their loyalty to King James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
2. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
3. What food did the passengers find on shore?
4. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
5. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
6. Hobbamock was a pniese. What is a pniese?
7. Describe the first venture ashore.
8. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
9. Why were the Pokanokets in a desperate struggle to maintain their existence as a people?
10. Why didn't the Indians and English of Plymouth Colony live in peaceful harmony all of those first fifty-five years?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)