|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What people were not affected by the disease in the area?
2. Where did the most powerful Native leader in the region live?
(a) On an island near the Pilgrims.
(b) About 60 miles southwest of Provincetown Harbor.
(c) About 20 miles southwest of Cape Cod.
(d) About 30 miles away.
3. What had the Pilgrims brought on the Mayflower to plant in the spring?
(a) Corn, flax, and wheat.
(b) Wheat and soybeans.
(c) Wheat, barley, and peas.
(d) Soybeans and barley.
4. On the voyage, how many women were pregnant?
5. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
(a) The weather was bad.
(b) Many crew members were sick.
(c) The ship needed to stock more provisions for the return voyage.
(d) The ship needed the repairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Manomet sachem?
2. What sachem tried to have Squanto killed in Chapter 7?
3. Who had the Pilgrims considered asking to be their military leader?
4. What formal and binding agreement was signed before the passengers went ashore?
5. Where did the Pilgrims live most of their time in Holland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't the terrain surrounding Plymouth a primeval forest?
2. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
3. Why did the Seaflower depart from New England bound for the Caribbean in 1676?
4. Why did Massasoit want Squanto to die in Chapter 8?
5. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
6. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
7. What happened to the ship, the Fortune?
8. Why was it illegal for the Separatists to have their own church services?
9. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
10. In 1605, a map indicated between one thousand and two thousand people living along the shores where the Pilgrims planned to settle. Why were no Indians living along the shore now?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)