|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was to be the governor of the new colony?
(a) John Carver.
(b) William Bradford.
(c) Robert Cushman.
(d) John Howland.
2. What was the first building built by the Pilgrims?
(a) A single family home.
(b) A fort.
(c) A common house.
(d) A storehouse.
3. How many people were on board the Mayflower?
4. Where did the Pilgrim's plan to build their houses?
(a) In the forest.
(b) Fort Hill.
(c) Near the salt marsh.
(d) Cole's Hill.
5. Who allowed war to happen?
(a) Philip and Josiah Winslow.
(b) Church and Andrew.
(c) Bradford and Church.
(d) Massassoit and Bradford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
2. What member of the Mayflower crew decided to stay in Plymouth?
3. Who was the most powerful Native leader in the region?
4. Where did the Pilgrims live most of their time in Holland?
5. What sachem tried to have Squanto killed in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
2. Describe the first venture ashore.
3. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
4. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
5. What happened to the Narragansett fort?
6. Why, according to the author, do we like to know how it was "in the beginning"?
7. How were the Indians cut out of the New England real estate market?
8. What did the New England militia find in the Pokanokets' village?
9. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
10. Hobbamock was a pniese. What is a pniese?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)