|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long can Indian corn be stored without spoiling?
(a) Ten years, if kept dry.
(b) A year, if kept dry.
(c) Indefinitely, if kept dry.
(d) Two or three years, if kept dry.
2. What two gifts did Winslow and Hopkins take to Massasoit in July of 1621?
(a) A hat and trousers.
(b) Cooking pots and cloth.
(c) Beads and mirrors.
(d) A copper chain and a horseman's coat.
3. What was Massasoit's first impulse to do with the English?
(a) Make an alliance with them.
(b) Trade with them.
(c) Curse them.
(d) Kill them.
4. How close were the nearest English communities in America to the new colony at Plymouth?
(a) About 1,000 miles.
(b) Over 3,000 miles.
(c) About 100 miles.
(d) More than 500 miles.
5. What group of investors did Thomas Weston represent?
(a) Plymouth Company.
(b) King's Adventurers.
(c) Virginia Company.
(d) Merchant Adventurers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent a scathing letter with the ship that arrived in November, 1621?
2. Whose son came to Plymouth on the ship that arrived late in 1621?
3. By spring 1621, how many of those who had originally arrive at Provincetown had died?
4. On what day was a decision made as to where to build the permanent settlement?
5. Who had the Pilgrims considered asking to be their military leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the passengers' quarters.
2. How did the Pilgrims' first Indian visitor, Samoset, learn to speak English?
3. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
4. Describe how an Indian named Epenow persuaded his English abductors to return him to the New World.
5. Why were passengers in an uproar when they learned they were headed to New England rather than the Hudson River?
6. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
7. What did Samoset tell the Pilgrims about the Indians who had lived in the area previously?
8. Why did the Seaflower depart from New England bound for the Caribbean in 1676?
9. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
10. Describe Standish's first expedition to look for a potential settlement site.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)