|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was different about the trees in New England from those in England?
(a) There were no birch trees in England.
(b) The trees were taller in England.
(c) There were no maples in England.
(d) Brilliant fall colors.
2. Who was the Mayflower's governor?
(a) Christopher Martin.
(b) John Carver.
(c) John Robinson.
(d) William Bradford.
3. What is the title of an Indian leader?
4. What two gifts did Winslow and Hopkins take to Massasoit in July of 1621?
(a) Cooking pots and cloth.
(b) A copper chain and a horseman's coat.
(c) Beads and mirrors.
(d) A hat and trousers.
5. What governing document was drawn up before the Pilgrims went ashore?
(a) Charter of Plymouth Colony.
(b) Mayflower Compact.
(c) Plymouth Colony agreement.
(d) Magna Carta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
2. What ship appeared at Provincetown Harbor in November of 1621?
3. What did Standish and the other men find on a high shore side hill?
4. What event, according to the author, do most Americans associate with the birth of the United States?
5. What people were not affected by the disease in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision did passengers of the Mayflower have to make now that they were near land?
2. Why did the future site of Pymouth Plantation come do well recommended?
3. Why were the Nausets "ill affected toward the English"?
4. How did the Pilgrims attempt to make a show of strength to the Indians?
5. Why did the Seaflower depart from New England bound for the Caribbean in 1676?
6. Where should the Pilgrims have settled rather than Plymouth?
7. Why did the Pilgrims decide to build a wall around their community?
8. How did some of the Indians' oldest people describe the first sight of a European sailing vessel?
9. Why does the author state that the story about the Pilgrims changes from the story we know to the story that we need to know?
10. Why do some people think that Dorothy Bradford may have committed suicide?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)