|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
(a) The ship needed the repairs.
(b) The ship needed to stock more provisions for the return voyage.
(c) Many crew members were sick.
(d) The weather was bad.
2. Who was the leader of the tribe that the Pilgrims befriended?
3. What explorer did Massasoit attack when the explorer arrived one summer after the Indians had been attacked?
(b) Thomas Dermer.
(c) John Smith.
4. What had killed many of the Indians in the area?
(a) Chicken pox.
(d) Bubonic plague.
5. In the 1600s, who tried to navigate the same treacherous waters that the Mayflower encountered?
(b) Samuel Champlain.
(d) La Salle.
6. What was the biggest problem with the arrival of another ship in November of 1621?
(a) Sleeping quarters.
7. What did the Pilgrims wish they could catch?
8. Where did the Pilgrims live most of their time in Holland?
9. How many people died each day in February and March, 1621?
(b) One or two.
(c) Four or five.
(d) Two or three.
10. Where was the ship's helmsman stationed?
(a) In the pilot's room.
(b) In steerage.
(c) On the poop deck.
(d) On the main deck.
11. How many sachems came on September 13 to sign a treaty professing their loyalty to King James?
12. Who did William Bradford marry?
(a) Delphina Smythe.
(b) Susanna White.
(c) Dorothy May.
(d) Elizabeth Brewster.
13. Who controlled the part of Cape Cod where the Pilgrims stole the corn?
(a) The Massachusetts.
(b) The Pokanokets.
(c) The Nausets.
(d) The Narragansetts.
14. What formal and binding agreement was signed before the passengers went ashore?
(a) Plymouth Charter.
(b) Mayflower Compact.
(c) Pilgrim Compact.
(d) Freedom of Religion Compact.
15. How much was the cargo worth that the Pilgrims sent back on the Fortune?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) 2500 pounds.
(c) 300 pounds.
(d) 200 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 7, who was launching a plan to become the most powerful Indian leader in New England?
2. The Pilgrims had their first Indian visitor in Chapter 6. How was he armed?
3. When was the "First Thanksgiving" most likely held?
4. Who was the most notable arrival on the ship that arrived in November of 1621 ?
5. What Indian, besides the Indian who first visited the Pilgrims, could also speak English?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)