|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English explorer sailed from Maine in a small open boat?
(a) John Cabot.
(b) Henry Hudson.
(c) Sir Frances Drake.
(d) Thomas Dermer.
2. When did the Pilgrims sail to the New World in search of religious freedom?
3. What Indian tribe did the Pilgrims befriend?
4. How many men did not sign the agreement before the Mayflower landed?
5. With whom did the Pilgrim's first Indian visitor spend the night?
(a) Stephen Hopkins and his family.
(b) Governor Carver and his family.
(c) John Howland.
(d) William Bradford.
6. What treacherous area of water did the Mayflower encounter after 1 p.m. as they approached the New World?
(a) Pollack Rip.
(b) A whirlpool.
(c) Cape Cod shoals.
(d) Back side breakers.
7. What Indian, besides the Indian who first visited the Pilgrims, could also speak English?
8. What had the Pilgrims brought on the Mayflower to plant in the spring?
(a) Wheat, barley, and peas.
(b) Soybeans and barley.
(c) Wheat and soybeans.
(d) Corn, flax, and wheat.
9. What happened in Jamestown in the spring of 1621?
(a) A massacre.
(b) A peace treaty.
(c) A typhus epidemic.
(d) A number of children were born.
10. What was Massasoit's first impulse to do with the English?
(a) Make an alliance with them.
(b) Curse them.
(c) Trade with them.
(d) Kill them.
11. What day did the Mayflower leave Provincetown Harbor?
(a) November 30.
(b) December 15.
(c) December 25.
(d) December 1.
12. What was William Bradford's occupation?
(b) Corduroy worker.
(d) Lace maker.
13. What happened to the Indians who used to live at Plymouth?
(a) Killed in a war.
(b) Moved to better hunting grounds.
(c) Moved North.
(d) Died of plague.
14. What Italian explorer had come to Narragansett Bay as early as 1524?
15. What was the name of the military leader of the Pilgrims?
(a) Miles Standish.
(b) Christopher Jones.
(c) William Bradford.
(d) John Carver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the war that occurred in 1675?
2. Who led the author to write about the Pilgrims?
3. What event, according to the author, do most Americans associate with the birth of the United States?
4. Who is the carpenter turned Indian fighter that the author will focus on in the book?
5. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)