|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was William Bradford's occupation?
(b) Corduroy worker.
(c) Lace maker.
2. On what day was a decision made as to where to build the permanent settlement?
(a) December 25.
(b) January 1.
(c) November 30.
(d) December 20.
3. With whom did the Pilgrim's first Indian visitor spend the night?
(a) Governor Carver and his family.
(b) William Bradford.
(c) Stephen Hopkins and his family.
(d) John Howland.
4. When was the "First Thanksgiving" most likely held?
(d) Late September or early October.
5. When did the Mayflower set sail for England?
(a) March 16.
(b) June 17.
(c) May 1.
(d) April 5.
6. What was the name of an ominous Pokanokets spirit of darkness?
7. What was the author researching when he decided to learn more about the Pilgrims?
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) Plymouth Colony.
(d) Nantucket Island.
8. What formal and binding agreement was signed before the passengers went ashore?
(a) Freedom of Religion Compact.
(b) Mayflower Compact.
(c) Plymouth Charter.
(d) Pilgrim Compact.
9. What happened after more than fifty years of peace between the Pilgrims and the Native Americans?
(a) Forts were built for protection.
(b) A trading post was established.
(c) A permanent peace agreement.
(d) Deadly war.
10. What was constructed on the high hill?
(a) A storehouse.
(b) A common house.
(c) A platform to mount cannons.
(d) Several houses.
11. In the 1600s, who tried to navigate the same treacherous waters that the Mayflower encountered?
(b) La Salle.
(c) Samuel Champlain.
12. Why did the Mayflower not return to England after a settlement site was found?
(a) The ship needed to stock more provisions for the return voyage.
(b) The ship needed the repairs.
(c) Many crew members were sick.
(d) The weather was bad.
13. How many men signed the agreement before the Mayflower landed?
14. How many men did not sign the agreement before the Mayflower landed?
15. What happened to Squanto at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) He died.
(b) He was captured by the Nauset.
(c) He caught typhus.
(d) He was imprisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sachems came on September 13 to sign a treaty professing their loyalty to King James?
2. What was different about the trees in New England from those in England?
3. For how many days had the Mayflower blundered through storms and headwinds before reaching the New World?
4. What explorer did Massasoit attack when the explorer arrived one summer after the Indians had been attacked?
5. Who is the carpenter turned Indian fighter that the author will focus on in the book?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)