|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How close were the nearest English communities in America to the new colony at Plymouth?
(a) Over 3,000 miles.
(b) About 100 miles.
(c) About 1,000 miles.
(d) More than 500 miles.
2. What was the meaning of Squanto's and Hobbamock's names?
3. What was the name of an ominous Pokanokets spirit of darkness?
4. Who was the most powerful Native leader in the region?
5. What did the Pokanokets call their creator god?
6. What had killed many of the Indians in the area?
(a) Chicken pox.
(d) Bubonic plague.
7. What was a third name for the spirit that Massasoit's people associated with death, night, and the bitter northeast wind?
8. What was Cape Cod known for?
(a) Settlements of Indians.
(b) Wooded lands.
(c) Dangerous waters.
(d) Large schools of cod fish.
9. What ship did the Pilgrims purchase?
(a) White Angel.
10. What was Massasoit's brother's name?
11. Where did the Pilgrims live most of their time in Holland?
12. What was the name of the military leader of the Pilgrims?
(a) William Bradford.
(b) Miles Standish.
(c) Christopher Jones.
(d) John Carver.
13. What tradition began with the women of the Mayflower?
(a) Wednesday bathing day.
(b) Tuesday baking day.
(c) Monday wash day.
(d) Morning reading lessons for the children.
14. What two gifts did Winslow and Hopkins take to Massasoit in July of 1621?
(a) Beads and mirrors.
(b) A copper chain and a horseman's coat.
(c) Cooking pots and cloth.
(d) A hat and trousers.
15. In 1676, what ship left the shores of New England?
(b) Little James.
(c) The Seaflower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Edward Winslow do on May 12?
2. By spring 1621, how many of those who had originally arrive at Provincetown had died?
3. How old was Bradford when he became uneasy with the way in which God was worshipped in Austerfield?
4. What happened to the Indians who used to live at Plymouth?
5. Who was the leader of the tribe that the Pilgrims befriended?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)