|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What area did Jones likely follow as the Mayflower headed south?
(a) The shoals.
(b) The continental shelf.
(c) The Edge.
(d) The breakers.
2. What event, according to the author, do most Americans associate with the birth of the United States?
(a) The first Thanksgiving.
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(c) The Mayflower Compact.
(d) Voyage of the Mayflower.
3. What was Massasoit's brother's name?
4. On what day was a decision made as to where to build the permanent settlement?
(a) January 1.
(b) December 20.
(c) November 30.
(d) December 25.
5. What did the Pilgrims do on November 12?
(a) Worshipped God.
(b) Chopped wood.
(c) Attempted to rebuilt the shallop.
(d) Washed clothes.
6. Who told the Pilgrims that Squanto was plotting against them?
7. What was Cape Cod known for?
(a) Dangerous waters.
(b) Settlements of Indians.
(c) Wooded lands.
(d) Large schools of cod fish.
8. What was the name of the military leader of the Pilgrims?
(a) William Bradford.
(b) Miles Standish.
(c) Christopher Jones.
(d) John Carver.
9. Who accompanied an English explorer who sailed from Maine in a small open boat?
(a) An Indian named Epenow.
(b) An Indian named Massassoit.
(c) An Indian named Tisquantum.
(d) An Indian named Hobbamock.
10. At the end of Chapter 7, who was launching a plan to become the most powerful Indian leader in New England?
11. Where was the ship's helmsman stationed?
(a) On the main deck.
(b) In the pilot's room.
(c) In steerage.
(d) On the poop deck.
12. What Indian tribe did the Pilgrims befriend?
13. Where did Jones decide they were near as the Mayflower headed toward shore?
(a) Hudson River
(d) Cape Cod.
14. Who was the Nauset sachem?
15. What two gifts did Winslow and Hopkins take to Massasoit in July of 1621?
(a) A hat and trousers.
(b) A copper chain and a horseman's coat.
(c) Cooking pots and cloth.
(d) Beads and mirrors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bradford learn at the end of Chapter 4?
2. How close were the nearest English communities in America to the new colony at Plymouth?
3. What was the biggest problem with the arrival of another ship in November of 1621?
4. What had killed many of the Indians in the area?
5. What sachem tried to have Squanto killed in Chapter 7?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)