Preface: The Two Voyages
• The book, Mayflower, explores the first fifty-five years of the Pilgrims' lives in the New World.
• The book goes beyond the story of how the Pilgrims came to the New World and met the Natives Americans.
• The author also covers the many complex and conflicting events that took place in the first fifty-five years.
• The colonists and the Native Americans lived in peace for many years, before a bloody battle, known as King Philip's War, broke out in 1675.
• During this one-year war, about one-third of the towns in New England burned to the ground and over five thousand individuals died.
• Before writing the book, Philbrick had two misconceptions.
• The first misconception was that the Pilgrims symbolized all that was good about America.
• The second misconception was the story about how evil Europeans had killed innocent Indians when they arrived in America.
• Philbrick began...
This section contains 3,567 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)