|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Vandergelder is described as smelling of what?
2. Why does Cornelius knock over a table?
3. Mrs. Levi asks who for permission to marry?
4. How many entrances are available in Act 3?
5. In Act 4, what does Miss. Van H. plan to serve her guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
2. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
3. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
4. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
5. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
6. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
7. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
8. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
9. Why does Miss Van H. want to help Cornelius?
10. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder goes to the hat shop because he is considering a proposal to Mrs. Malloy. What factors work to change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)