|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vandergelder give Cornelius?
2. How is Miss Van H. described?
3. What name does Cornelius call Rudolph?
4. To what does Malachi compare being employed?
5. What "miracle" does Cornelius receive from Malachi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Van H. want to help Cornelius?
2. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
3. What type of seating arrangement does Mr. Vandergelder request at the restaurant, at the beginning of Act 3?
4. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
5. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
6. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
7. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
8. Why does Barnaby protest the bath offered by Miss Van H.?
9. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
10. What comedic mishap takes place with champagne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)