|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Van H. demand Mr. Vandergelder do to the guests?
2. In Act 4, Mr. Vandergelder compliments Mrs. Levi by calling her?
3. What does Mr. Vandergelder order in advance?
4. What is Minnie's original order?
5. What bothers Mr. Vandergelder about letters?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder is looking for a wife in The Matchmaker. Compare and contrast the quality of relationship the following match would give him and why, based on examples from the text.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Malloy.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Miss Simple.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)