|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cornelius knock over a table?
2. What former weakness does Malachi confess to the audience?
3. What does August do when Cornelius opens the champagne?
4. What does Mr. Vandergelder do frequently throughout the Matchmaker?
5. How is August described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
2. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
3. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
4. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
5. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
6. Why does Miss Van H. want to help Cornelius?
7. What comedic mishap takes place with champagne?
8. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
9. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
10. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Matchmaker? Cite examples from the text to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)