|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, what does Miss. Van H. plan to serve her guests?
2. What former weakness does Malachi confess to the audience?
3. Why does Mrs. Malloy kiss Barnaby?
4. How much does Mr. Vandergelder first offer the cabman for services?
5. In Act 4, what is the home filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
2. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
3. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
4. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
5. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
6. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
7. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
8. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
9. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
10. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Supporting characters help to move The Matchmaker forward. Choose from one of the following characters and analyze how the character helped to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and describe their physical appearance, relationship with others, and personal motivation.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Levi exercises unusual means in accepting Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal. What are they and why does she do this?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)