|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Mr. Vandergelder asks for a table that seats how many?
2. Who is August bringing champagne for?
3. Mrs. Malloy suggests Cornelius not be what when ordering?
4. How is Miss Van H. described?
5. Whom does Cook want to call about Ermengarde's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions show Miss Van H. to be an eccentric character?
2. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
3. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
4. What type of unwanted advice does Malachi deliver at the beginning of Act 3?
5. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
6. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
7. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
8. Why does Barnaby protest the bath offered by Miss Van H.?
9. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
10. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)