|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi asks who for permission to marry?
2. What is Minnie's original order?
3. How is Rudolph described?
4. Why does Cornelius knock over a table?
5. In Act 4, Mr. Vandergelder compliments Mrs. Levi by calling her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
2. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
3. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
4. Why does Barnaby protest the bath offered by Miss Van H.?
5. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
6. Why does Miss Van H. want to help Cornelius?
7. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
8. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
9. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
10. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the play, Mr. Vandergelder is seen as all powerful, controlling many of the characters' lives. Citing examples from the text, examine how Mr. Vandergelder's hold over the characters lessens throughout The Matchmaker and why.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)