|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does Mr. Vandergelder want the cabman to go?
2. What does Mr. Vandergelder do frequently throughout the Matchmaker?
3. What name does Cornelius call Rudolph?
4. Mr. Vandergelder is described as smelling of what?
5. Where does Ermengarde plan to go after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
2. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
3. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
4. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
5. Why does Miss Van H. want to help Cornelius?
6. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
7. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
8. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
9. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
10. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)