|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, who do the real Ermengarde and Ambrose pretend to be?
2. Why does Cornelius knock over a table?
3. Where does Act 3 take place?
4. Where does Miss Van H. tell "Ambrose" to warm his feet?
5. In Act 4, what does Miss. Van H. plan to serve her guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
2. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
3. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
4. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
5. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
6. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
7. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
8. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
9. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
10. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Levi exercises unusual means in accepting Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal. What are they and why does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder goes to the hat shop because he is considering a proposal to Mrs. Malloy. What factors work to change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)