|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Miss Van H. tell "Ambrose" to warm his feet?
2. What main dish does Mrs. Malloy order for Minnie?
3. What is Mrs. Levi's maiden name?
4. Miss Van H. suggests Ermengarde do what, after "Ermengarde" is done?
5. What bothers Mr. Vandergelder about letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions show Miss Van H. to be an eccentric character?
2. What type of unwanted advice does Malachi deliver at the beginning of Act 3?
3. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
4. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
5. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
6. Why does Miss Van H. want to help Cornelius?
7. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
8. What comedic mishap takes place with champagne?
9. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
10. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Supporting characters help to move The Matchmaker forward. Choose from one of the following characters and analyze how the character helped to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in The Matchmaker who are not happy with their lot in life. Select one of the following characters and examine what the character is missing in life and why.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
The desire for adventure is something that motivates several characters in The Matchmaker. Identify several actions in the play where this desire for adventure caused a character to act in a way that was outside of their typical routine.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)