|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the young people, what is the only thing Miss Van H. cares about?
2. At whose home does Act 4 take place?
3. In Act 3, Malachi gets what halfway through the night?
4. According to Malachi, what do more people want instead of breaking into homes?
5. What is Minnie's original order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comedic mishap takes place with champagne?
2. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
3. What actions show Miss Van H. to be an eccentric character?
4. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
5. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
6. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
7. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
8. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
9. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
10. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is looking for a wife in The Matchmaker. Compare and contrast the quality of relationship the following match would give him and why, based on examples from the text.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Malloy.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Miss Simple.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)