|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see together in Act 3?
2. Mrs. Malloy suggests Cornelius not be what when ordering?
3. Mrs. Levi finds "pretty girls" unable to do what?
4. Initially, Mrs. Malloy scolds Cornelius for what behavior?
5. What is the name of the Cabman's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
2. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
3. What actions show Miss Van H. to be an eccentric character?
4. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
5. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
6. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
7. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
8. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
9. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
10. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 2
The lost purse is a turning point in The Matchmaker. Explain how this lost purse creates a power shift and why.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Levi exercises unusual means in accepting Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal. What are they and why does she do this?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)