|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Cornelius call Rudolph?
2. What does Miss Van H. demand Mr. Vandergelder do to the guests?
3. To what does Mrs. Levi compare money?
4. Who does Mrs. Levi introduce to Miss Van H.?
5. How many entrances and exits are available in Act 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
2. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
3. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
4. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
5. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
6. What type of seating arrangement does Mr. Vandergelder request at the restaurant, at the beginning of Act 3?
7. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
8. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
9. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
10. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and describe their physical appearance, relationship with others, and personal motivation.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
The interaction of the characters is a major part in the resolution of the play. Analyze how and why all of the characters are brought together in Act 4 and the resulting conclusion of this meeting.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the play, Mr. Vandergelder is seen as all powerful, controlling many of the characters' lives. Citing examples from the text, examine how Mr. Vandergelder's hold over the characters lessens throughout The Matchmaker and why.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)