|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Miss Van H. mistake for Ermengarde and Ambrose?
2. What does Mrs. Malloy want to give to Minnie's hair?
3. What does Mr. Vandergelder do frequently throughout the Matchmaker?
4. At the beginning of Act 4, how does Miss Van H. feel about life?
5. In Act 4, what is the home filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
2. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
3. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
4. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
5. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
6. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
7. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
8. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
9. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
10. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Miss Van H. and her lot in life. Why is this significant to the conclusion of The Matchmaker?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Instead of exposing the fraud of Cornelius and Barnaby in Act 2, Mrs. Levi encourages it. Why does she do this?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)