|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Mr. Vandergelder compliments Mrs. Levi by calling her?
2. What type of music does Cornelius request at the table?
3. In Act 4, what continues to panic Miss Van H.?
4. In Act 3, what is Malachi's current weakness?
5. Who does Mrs. Levi introduce to Miss Van H.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
2. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
3. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
4. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
5. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
6. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
7. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
8. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
9. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
10. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)