|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Vandergelder is described as smelling of what?
2. How is August described?
3. How many entrances are available in Act 3?
4. What is Mrs. Levi's maiden name?
5. In Act 4, how much does Mr. Vandergelder owe the cabman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
2. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
3. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
4. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
5. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
6. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
7. Why does Barnaby protest the bath offered by Miss Van H.?
8. What actions show Miss Van H. to be an eccentric character?
9. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
10. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interaction of the characters is a major part in the resolution of the play. Analyze how and why all of the characters are brought together in Act 4 and the resulting conclusion of this meeting.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder goes to the hat shop because he is considering a proposal to Mrs. Malloy. What factors work to change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
The lost purse is a turning point in The Matchmaker. Explain how this lost purse creates a power shift and why.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)