|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is August bringing champagne for?
2. In Act 4, what pair of lovers does Mr. Vandergelder forgive?
3. Miss Van H. tries to pamper "Ermengarde" with what?
4. Where does Ermengarde plan to go after dinner?
5. What item falls out of Mrs. Levi's Bible and changes her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of unwanted advice does Malachi deliver at the beginning of Act 3?
2. What type of seating arrangement does Mr. Vandergelder request at the restaurant, at the beginning of Act 3?
3. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
4. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
5. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
6. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
7. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
8. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
9. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
10. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder goes to the hat shop because he is considering a proposal to Mrs. Malloy. What factors work to change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)