|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Malloy want to give to Minnie's hair?
2. At whose home does Act 4 take place?
3. When surprised at the restaurant, Malachi suggests Mr. Vandergelder do what?
4. What does Mr. Vandergelder order in advance?
5. Where does Miss Van H. tell "Ambrose" to warm his feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
2. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
3. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
4. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
5. Why does Barnaby protest the bath offered by Miss Van H.?
6. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
7. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
8. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
9. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
10. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Supporting characters help to move The Matchmaker forward. Choose from one of the following characters and analyze how the character helped to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Matchmaker? Cite examples from the text to support your theory.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)