|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ermengarde, where does nothing happen?
(d) New York.
2. In Act 4, what does Miss. Van H. plan to serve her guests?
(a) Tea and cake.
(b) Chicken and spirits.
(c) Coffee and gingerbread.
(d) Whiskey and crackers.
3. In Act 3, what is Malachi's current weakness?
4. What type of accent does Rudolph have?
5. What does Mr. Vandergelder do frequently throughout the Matchmaker?
(b) Discharge people.
(c) All of these.
(d) Cause trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi finds "pretty girls" unable to do what?
2. What does Mr. Vandergelder order in advance?
3. Cornelius thinks the adventure at the restaurant will put him where?
4. How is Rudolph described?
5. What is the response to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
2. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
3. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
4. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
5. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
6. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
7. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
8. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
9. What type of seating arrangement does Mr. Vandergelder request at the restaurant, at the beginning of Act 3?
10. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)