|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malachi think Mr. Vandergelder wants to talk to the cabman?
(a) For directions.
(b) He looks like a relative.
(c) For advice.
(d) To buy a cab company.
2. Mrs. Levi finds "pretty girls" unable to do what?
(a) "Speak ill of others."
(b) "Use their brain."
(c) "Attract a rich husband."
(d) "Improve their other advantages."
3. Mrs. Levi asks who for permission to marry?
(a) Her ex husband.
(b) Mr. Vandergelder.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Her deceased husband.
4. Who is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see together in Act 3?
(a) Ermengarde, Ambrose, and Mrs. Levi.
(b) Rudolph and Ermengarde.
(c) Mrs. Levi and Malachi.
(d) Mrs. Levi and Ambrose.
5. What bothers Mr. Vandergelder about letters?
(a) Everyone writes to him.
(b) Nobody writes to him.
(c) Everyone is dear.
(d) They are impersonal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Levi introduce to Miss Van H.?
2. Miss Van H. feels it is difficult to be what?
3. In Act 4, what gift from Mr. Vandergelder touches Mrs. Levi?
4. What does Miss Van H. demand Mr. Vandergelder do to the guests?
5. What does Mr. Vandergelder lack in Act 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
2. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
3. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
4. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
5. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
6. What type of seating arrangement does Mr. Vandergelder request at the restaurant, at the beginning of Act 3?
7. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
8. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
9. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
10. Who benefits and who loses from the lost purse of money?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)