|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Malachi gets what halfway through the night?
(d) Proposed to.
2. What does Barnaby say is the moral of The Matchmaker?
(a) Love conquers all.
(b) Never ever give up.
(c) Money buys love.
(d) Live life and have adventure.
3. In Act 4, what gift from Mr. Vandergelder touches Mrs. Levi?
(a) French champagne.
(b) An engagement ring.
(d) The purse.
4. In Act 4, what continues to panic Miss Van H.?
(a) Her lack of money to buy dinner.
(b) When people ask who she is.
(c) Her attraction to Mr. Vandergelder.
(d) That her lover has not arrived.
5. Mrs. Malloy suggests Cornelius not be what when ordering?
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Van H. feels it is difficult to be what?
2. What type of medicine does Miss Van H. use?
3. How is August described?
4. According to Malachi, what do more people want instead of breaking into homes?
5. Initially, Mrs. Malloy scolds Cornelius for what behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
2. What does Miss Van H. think when Cornelius insists he is not who she thinks he is?
3. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
4. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
5. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
6. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
7. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
8. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
9. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
10. Why is Cornelius worried, upon taking Mrs. Malloy and Minnie out to dinner?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)