|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 4, what does Mr. Vandergelder tell Mrs. Levi she has?
(a) A big heart.
(b) A limited dowry.
(c) Something on her face.
(d) Lots of faults.
2. How much does Mr. Vandergelder first offer the cabman for services?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Ten cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Fifty cents.
3. What drink does Mr. Vandergelder order in advance?
(a) A cosmo.
(c) A martini.
(d) Black Russian.
4. What does Mr. Vandergelder give Cornelius?
(a) A box of chocolates.
(b) Business partnership.
(c) A bottle of French champagne.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
5. What type of medicine does Miss Van H. use?
(b) Smelling salts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Mr. Vandergelder still carry in Act 4?
2. In Act 3, what is Malachi's current weakness?
3. Whose house does Mr. Vandergelder want the cabman to go?
4. Where does Ermengarde plan to go after dinner?
5. Why does Cornelius say he will not dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Barnaby protest the bath offered by Miss Van H.?
2. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
3. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
4. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
5. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
6. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
7. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
8. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
9. Why is Mrs. Malloy's comment about extravagance at dinner ironic?
10. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)