|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Mr. Vandergelder still carry in Act 4?
(a) A bottle of French wine.
(b) A box of chocolates.
(c) The deed to his home.
(d) An engagement ring.
2. How much does Mr. Vandergelder first offer the cabman for services?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Ten cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Fifty cents.
3. Why does Mrs. Malloy kiss Barnaby?
(a) For a bet.
(b) To make Mr. Vandergelder jealous.
(c) She loves him.
(d) Cornelius' toast.
4. How many entrances and exits are available in Act 4?
(a) One trap door.
5. What item falls out of Mrs. Levi's Bible and changes her?
(a) A lost ring.
(b) Smelling salts.
(c) An oak leaf.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cornelius knock over a table?
2. How is Miss Van H. described?
3. Mrs. Malloy suggests Cornelius not be what when ordering?
4. What name does Cornelius call Rudolph?
5. In Act 3, what is Malachi's current weakness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comedic mishap takes place with champagne?
2. What is the cabman worried about, based on Mr. Vandergelder's request?
3. Why is Ermengarde worried about being in a restaurant with Ambrose?
4. What does Mrs. Levi do when she realizes Mr. Vandergelder is spying on her, Ermengarde, and Ambrose?
5. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
6. What type of seating arrangement does Mr. Vandergelder request at the restaurant, at the beginning of Act 3?
7. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
8. What type of unwanted advice does Malachi deliver at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Who is the second group to show up at Miss Van H.'s house and how does Miss Van H. treat them?
10. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)