|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, where do Cornelius and Barnaby hide from Mr. Vandergelder?
(a) Behind a tree.
(b) In the car.
(c) The wardrobe.
(d) Under the bed.
2. What is the code word for adventure?
(b) Apple pie.
(d) Whipped cream.
3. Where does Act 1 take place?
(a) A barbershop.
(b) Mr. Vandergelder's living room.
(c) Mr. Vandergelder's office.
(d) A park.
4. Mr. Vandergelder is Ermengarde's what?
5. In Act 2, what outsider finds Cornelius and Barnaby hiding?
(b) Mr. Vandergelder.
(d) Mrs. Levi.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Marriage is a bribe designed to make a housekeeper think she's..." what?
2. According to Mr. Vandergelder, merchants don't do business with what?
3. What type of transportation does Mr. Vandergelder own?
4. Mrs. Levi says Mr. Vandergelder must do what by the end of the week?
5. What kind of bag does Mr. Vandergelder own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
2. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
3. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
4. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
5. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
6. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
7. Describe the character Ermengarde.
8. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
9. Describe the character Ambrose.
10. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)