|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the code word for adventure?
(a) Apple pie.
(c) Whipped cream.
2. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife is what?
(a) Honest and ethical.
(b) Simple, domestic, practical.
(c) Gifted with an open heart and a closed mouth.
(d) Reasonable and interesting.
3. Who reveals Ermengarde's whereabouts at the beginning of Act 1?
(c) Mr. Vandergelder.
4. What does Mrs. Levi accidentally give to Ambrose?
(a) A varicose vein ad.
(b) Her personal phone number.
(c) A liposuction ad.
(d) A matchmaker's card.
5. What does Mr. Vandergelder take back from Mrs. Malloy?
(a) A commission.
(b) The roses.
(c) The chocolates.
(d) A marriage proposal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Vandergelder reveal he will propose to?
2. In Act 2, Cornelius praises what in his speech to the audience?
3. Where does Act 1 take place?
4. How old is Ermengarde?
5. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife wears what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character change does Ermengarde demonstrate when Miss Van H. plans to leave her and Ambrose in the hall?
2. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
3. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
4. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
5. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
6. Why does Miss Van H. decide to help the second group that shows up at her home, even though she is not sure who they are?
7. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
8. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
9. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
10. What actions show Miss Van H. to be an eccentric character?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)