|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Vandergelder take back from Mrs. Malloy?
(a) A marriage proposal.
(b) The roses.
(c) A commission.
(d) The chocolates.
2. What gift does Mr. Vandergelder give to Mrs. Malloy?
(a) A dress.
(b) A hat.
(d) A box of chocolates.
3. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife wears what?
(a) Custom-made gowns.
(b) Finest silks and ribbons.
(c) Tablecloths and window curtains.
(d) Trousers and men's shirts.
4. According to legend, what did the Hackls build?
(a) The Egyptian Pyramids.
(b) The Raritan Canal.
(c) The Brooklyn Bridge.
(d) Taj Mahal.
5. Ambrose is dressed as what, at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) An invalid.
(b) An artist.
(c) A king.
(d) A policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Malloy, marriage offers excellent _______.
2. Where does Act 1 take place?
3. Who dislikes the milliner business?
4. What does Malachi claim to want from Mr. Vandergelder?
5. According to Mrs. Malloy, ribbons will be worn how?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Ambrose.
2. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
3. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
4. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
5. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
6. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
7. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
8. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
9. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
10. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)