|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Malloy, ribbons will be worn how?
(a) Not at all.
(b) Down the back.
(c) On a dress.
(d) In the hair.
2. In Act 2, whom does Cornelius develop feelings for?
(a) Mrs. Malloy.
(b) Mrs. Levi.
(d) His wife.
3. In Act 2, what outsider finds Cornelius and Barnaby hiding?
(b) Mrs. Levi.
(d) Mr. Vandergelder.
4. How much money does Mr. Vandergelder lend Mrs. Levi?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) He does not give her anything.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) The full amount requested.
5. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife is what?
(a) Honest and ethical.
(b) Simple, domestic, practical.
(c) Reasonable and interesting.
(d) Gifted with an open heart and a closed mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims she will marry Mr. Vandergelder, if asked?
2. What type of men does Mrs. Malloy always encounter?
3. "Marriage is a bribe designed to make a housekeeper think she's..." what?
4. What does Ambrose want, at the beginning of Act 1?
5. In Act 1, Mr. Vandergelder informs Joe of what secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
2. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
3. Describe the character Malachi.
4. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
5. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
6. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
7. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
8. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
9. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
10. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)