|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of store does Mr. Vandergelder run?
(a) Hay, feed, and provision.
(b) Tools and automobiles.
2. What makes Cornelius and Barnaby sneeze?
(d) Mrs. Levi.
3. In what location does Act 2 take place?
(a) Joseph Crane's auto shop.
(b) Mrs. Malloy's hat shop.
(c) Jon Gibbs' steakhouse.
(d) Minnie Meyer's dress shop.
4. What does Mrs. Malloy do to Cornelius and Barnaby's hats?
(a) Decorates them.
(b) Sells them.
(c) Hides them.
(d) Burns them.
5. In Act 1, what prevents Cornelius from an automatic promotion?
(a) His attraction to Ermengarde.
(b) His age.
(c) His attitude.
(d) His lack of experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Cornelius and Barnaby hiding from in Act 2?
2. What type of straw does Mrs. Malloy offer Cornelius?
3. Ambrose tells Ermengarde she has the soul of a what?
4. Whom does Mr. Vandergelder reveal he will propose to?
5. In Act 2, what purchase do Cornelius and Barnaby fake interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
2. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
3. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
4. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
5. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
6. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
7. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
8. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
9. Explain Mrs. Levi's request to Mr. Vandergelder, at the end of Act 1.
10. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)