|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Cornelius worked for Mr. Vandergelder?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five years.
2. Mr. Vandergelder suggests Mrs. Malloy's workers deserve what?
(a) A wage decrease.
(b) Free merchandise.
(c) A wage increase.
(d) A bonus.
3. In Act 2, who claims to find Mr. Vandergelder unattractive?
(a) Mrs. Malloy.
4. According to Mrs. Malloy, ribbons will be worn how?
(a) In the hair.
(b) Down the back.
(c) Not at all.
(d) On a dress.
5. Where do Cornelius and Barnaby pretend to be from?
(a) West Hollywood.
(c) Wicker Park.
(d) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ambrose want, at the beginning of Act 1?
2. What does Mr. Vandergelder smoke at the beginning of the play?
3. How many entrances exist in Act 1?
4. What type of men does Mrs. Malloy always encounter?
5. What does Joe refuse to do, even for fifty cents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
2. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
3. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
4. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
5. Describe the character Ambrose.
6. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
7. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
8. Describe the character Ermengarde.
9. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
10. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)