|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Levi accidentally give to Ambrose?
(a) A liposuction ad.
(b) A varicose vein ad.
(c) A matchmaker's card.
(d) Her personal phone number.
2. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be bride's father is a what?
3. Where does Act 1 take place?
(a) Mr. Vandergelder's living room.
(b) A park.
(c) A barbershop.
(d) Mr. Vandergelder's office.
4. What does Mr. Vandergelder take back from Mrs. Malloy?
(a) A marriage proposal.
(b) The roses.
(c) A commission.
(d) The chocolates.
5. At the opening of the play, what do Ambrose and Mr. Vandergelder fight about?
(a) Ambrose's lack of ethics.
(b) Mr. Vandergelder's taxes.
(c) Ambrose's loud dog.
(d) Mr. Vandergelder's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of transportation does Mr. Vandergelder own?
2. Mrs. Malloy ask Cornelius to take her where?
3. What is the code word for adventure?
4. In Act 1, a ladder extends down from what?
5. Where does Mrs. Levi instruct Mr. Vandergelder to meet his should-be bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
2. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
3. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
4. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
5. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
6. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
7. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
8. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
9. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
10. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)