|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Levi accidentally give to Ambrose?
(a) A matchmaker's card.
(b) A liposuction ad.
(c) Her personal phone number.
(d) A varicose vein ad.
2. What set piece takes up the middle of the back wall in Act 2?
(a) A coat rack.
(b) A slide.
(c) Tea tables.
(d) A large sofa.
3. Mrs. Levi tells Mr. Vandergelder she will be rich if she does what?
(a) Becomes a thief.
(b) Reinvents the wheel.
(c) Wins a lawsuit.
(d) Marries right.
4. What does Mr. Vandergelder smoke at the beginning of the play?
(a) A pipe.
(c) A cigar.
5. Where does Act 1 take place?
(a) A park.
(b) Mr. Vandergelder's office.
(c) A barbershop.
(d) Mr. Vandergelder's living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe refuse to do, even for fifty cents?
2. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife is what?
3. What type of store does Mrs. Molloy own?
4. What does Mrs. Levi reveal to Ambrose?
5. What is Mrs. Malloy's marriage status?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
2. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
3. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
4. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
5. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
6. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
7. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
8. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
9. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
10. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)