|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malachi claim to want from Mr. Vandergelder?
(a) An endorsement of his art.
(b) An apprenticeship.
(c) A scholarship.
(d) His daughter's hand.
2. Mrs. Levi says Mr. Vandergelder must do what by the end of the week?
(a) Get married.
(b) Pay her back.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Sell his shop.
3. According to Mr. Vandergelder, what percentage of the world is "fools"?
(a) 90 percent.
(b) 50 percent.
(c) 25 percent.
(d) 100 percent.
4. How long has Cornelius worked for Mr. Vandergelder?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five years.
5. According to Mrs. Malloy, people think milliners are what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vandergelder take back from Mrs. Malloy?
2. How many entrances exist in Act 1?
3. Mr. Vandergelder enters Act 2 with whom?
4. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife is what?
5. At the opening of the play, what do Ambrose and Mr. Vandergelder fight about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What display of emotion is shown by Mrs. Malloy at the end of Act 2, and why?
2. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
3. Describe the character Malachi.
4. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
5. Describe the character Ambrose.
6. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
7. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
8. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
9. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
10. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)