|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Cornelius praises what in his speech to the audience?
2. What does Cornelius hope to do to Mrs. Malloy?
(a) Set her up with Mr. Vandergelder.
(b) Put her out of business.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Rob her.
3. What gift does Mr. Vandergelder give to Mrs. Malloy?
(a) A box of chocolates.
(b) A hat.
(c) A dress.
4. What does Joe refuse to do, even for fifty cents?
(a) Shave a man bald.
(b) Dye hair.
(c) Speak bad of someone.
(d) Reveal a secret.
5. Mr. Vandergelder enters Act 2 with whom?
(b) Mrs. Levi.
(d) Mrs. Molloy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the code word for adventure?
2. Who are Cornelius and Barnaby hiding from in Act 2?
3. In Act 2, how many custom-made items do Cornelius and Barnaby claim to want?
4. In Act 2, what type of outing are Cornelius and Barnaby on?
5. How much money does Mr. Vandergelder lend Mrs. Levi?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
2. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
3. Describe the character Malachi.
4. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
5. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
6. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
7. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
8. Describe the character Ermengarde.
9. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
10. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)