|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Mr. Vandergelder propose?
(b) Mrs. Levi.
(c) Miss Van H.
(d) Mrs. Malloy.
2. What does Mrs. Levi want from Mr. Vandergelder?
(a) A bottle of French champagne.
(b) An apology.
(c) To marry him for love.
(d) To marry him for money.
3. In Act 3, Malachi gets what halfway through the night?
(a) Proposed to.
4. Why does Malachi think Mr. Vandergelder wants to talk to the cabman?
(a) For directions.
(b) To buy a cab company.
(c) He looks like a relative.
(d) For advice.
5. Miss Van H. suggests Ermengarde do what, after "Ermengarde" is done?
(a) Read her diary.
(b) Take a nap.
6. At whose home does Act 4 take place?
(a) Miss Flora Van Huysen's.
(b) Mrs. Malloy's.
(c) Miss Levi's.
(d) Mr. Vandergelder's.
7. Whom does Cornelius toast?
(a) Absent friends.
(b) Mr. Vandergelder.
(c) The ladies.
8. To what does Mrs. Levi compare money?
(b) Fresh leaves.
9. In Act 4, what does Miss. Van H. plan to serve her guests?
(a) Coffee and gingerbread.
(b) Tea and cake.
(c) Chicken and spirits.
(d) Whiskey and crackers.
10. What is Mrs. Levi's maiden name?
(a) Rachel Gilcroy.
(b) Emily Vandergelder.
(c) Dolly Gallagher.
(d) Bernice Scott.
11. Whom does Miss Van H. mistake for Ermengarde and Ambrose?
(a) Mrs. Levi and Mr. Vandergelder.
(b) Cornelius and Barnaby.
(c) Ambrose and Mrs. Malloy.
(d) Ermengarde and Barnaby.
12. According to Malachi, what do more people want instead of breaking into homes?
(a) To pick pockets.
(b) To break out.
(c) To rob banks.
(d) To break into offices.
13. What does Barnaby say is the moral of The Matchmaker?
(a) Money buys love.
(b) Love conquers all.
(c) Never ever give up.
(d) Live life and have adventure.
14. What is the name of the Cabman's horse?
(d) Old Mare.
15. Mrs. Levi asks who for permission to marry?
(a) Mr. Vandergelder.
(b) Her ex husband.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Her deceased husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of music does Cornelius request at the table?
2. How many entrances are available in Act 3?
3. What does Mr. Vandergelder lack in Act 4?
4. What does August do when Cornelius opens the champagne?
5. What does Miss Van H. hit Mr. Vandergelder with?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)