Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Act 1 Abstract
* Mr. Vandergelder gets shaved by the barber.
* Mr. Vandergelder forbids Ambrose to marry his niece, Ermengarde.
* Ambrose vows to marry her anyway.
* Mr. Vandergelder lies, saying his niece has been sent away.
* Gertrude accidentally reveals the address where the niece will be going.
* Mr. Vandergelder almost promotes Cornelius, but does not follow through.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)