|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sophie de Palma?
2. Who does Sophie admire?
3. What range does Sophie sing?
4. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
5. How does Maria describe herself physically as a young student?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
2. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
3. Describe Tony's character.
4. What is Maria's response to Sharon's criticisms?
5. In what ways does Maria engage with the audience at the beginning of the play?
6. When Maria's aria ends, what is the back stage lit up as and what does Maria remember?
7. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
8. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
9. When Sophie begins to sing, what does Maria begin thinking of?
10. What good news does Maria tell Onassis in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Maria Callas seem unsuited to teach a master class? In what ways does she bring out the best in the students? Explain your viewpoint using textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's relationship with Aristotle Onassis. Does Maria seem to be controlled by him? What is the decision that she makes because of Onassis' preferences?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)