|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Maria's singing teacher?
2. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
3. What does Maria tell Sophie to do before she sings?
4. Who says "know your limitations" in Act I?
5. What range does Sophie sing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
2. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
3. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
4. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
5. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
6. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
7. Describe Maria's memory of her marriage to Battista.
8. Describe Maria's final words of wisdom in the master class.
9. Describe Maria's physical appearance at the height of her career.
10. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maria's marriage to Battista. Why does Maria tire of him once she has become famous and successful?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sharon's character. What does she expect to receive from the master class? How does Maria's criticism change that expectation?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)