|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Onassis have for Maria?
2. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
3. Who can only sing one note before being interrupted by Maria in Act I?
4. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
5. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
2. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
3. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
4. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
5. What story does Maria tell when Sophie cannot produce a pencil to take notes on the score?
6. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
7. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
8. What does being called "La Divina" mean to Maria?
9. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
10. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maria's marriage to Battista. Why does Maria tire of him once she has become famous and successful?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
Essay Topic 3
In Act II, Maria says, "There is only discipline, technique and Mut." Discuss the examples that Maria gives from her own past that show her implementing these three things in her singing career.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)