|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maria Callas' passion?
2. What is happening with the lights at the beginning of Act I?
3. Whose nickname is La Divina?
4. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
5. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
2. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
3. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
4. What does Maria say Onassis wanted her to do about her musical career?
5. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
6. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
7. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
8. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
9. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
10. Describe Tony's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Maria's memories give background to help us understand her life and career. Which memory do you find most helpful in understanding Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of this play and identify the props used. How do the props help reveal Maria Callas' character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)