|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
2. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
3. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
4. Who can only sing one note before being interrupted by Maria in Act I?
5. When does Manny appear on stage in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
2. How did Maria learn to be disciplined about music during the war?
3. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
4. What happens when Maria leaves the stage to show Sharon how to make an entrance?
5. What advice does Maria give to Sharon about her performance even before she begins to sing?
6. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
7. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
8. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
9. What are the positive comments that Maria gives Sharon about her singing?
10. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tony and Sharon's musical performances. Which seems better and why?
Essay Topic 2
In Act II, Maria says, "There is only discipline, technique and Mut." Discuss the examples that Maria gives from her own past that show her implementing these three things in her singing career.
Essay Topic 3
Sharon criticizes Maria for her poor teaching. Do you agree or disagree with her? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)