|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is La Scala?
2. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
3. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
4. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
5. What role did Maria lose to another student when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
2. What advice does Maria give to Sharon about her performance even before she begins to sing?
3. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
4. In what ways does Maria engage with the audience at the beginning of the play?
5. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
6. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
7. What happens when Maria leaves the stage to show Sharon how to make an entrance?
8. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
9. What good news does Maria tell Onassis in Act II?
10. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Maria says, " It takes more than a pretty voice to build a career." Analyze the meaning of this statement as it applies to Maria's fame as a opera singer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's reaction to Tony when he first comes on stage. Does Tony's character get preferential treatment because Maria finds him handsome? Why does she want to send him home? In what ways is her opinion of him changed once he sings?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)