|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
2. What is Sophie lacking when Maria asks her to take notes on the scene?
3. What does Maria imitate about Onassis?
4. What range does Sophie sing?
5. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
2. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
3. In what ways does Maria engage with the audience at the beginning of the play?
4. How did Maria learn to be disciplined about music during the war?
5. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
6. Describe Maria's criticism of Sharon's clothing choice.
7. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
8. What is Maria's definition of that "something special" a singer has that sets her off from the crowd?
9. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
10. Describe Tony's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way in which the audience learns of Aristotle Onassis' reaction to the news that Maria is pregnant with his child. How does this point-of-view allow the audience to see Maria's changing emotions?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tony and Sharon's musical performances. Which seems better and why?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)