|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
2. What role did Maria lose to another student when she was young?
3. Who is Sophie de Palma?
4. What does Maria tell the audience they should not do during Act I?
5. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
2. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
3. Describe Sharon Graham.
4. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
5. How does the audience learn of Onassis' reaction to Maria's pregnancy?
6. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
7. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
8. What does Maria say Onassis wanted her to do about her musical career?
9. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
10. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maria's marriage to Battista. Why does Maria tire of him once she has become famous and successful?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
Essay Topic 3
Sharon criticizes Maria for her poor teaching. Do you agree or disagree with her? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)