|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
2. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
3. What does Sophie announce she will sing in Act I?
4. Who is startled by Sophie's lack of knowledge?
5. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
2. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
3. What happened during Maria's last performance at La Scala?
4. Describe Maria's physical appearance at the height of her career.
5. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
6. What story does Maria tell when Sophie cannot produce a pencil to take notes on the score?
7. Describe Maria's criticism of Sharon's clothing choice.
8. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
9. Describe Maria's memory of her marriage to Battista.
10. When Sophie begins to sing, what does Maria begin thinking of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Manny. Besides playing the piano, what other functions does he serve in the play? Use one or two textual examples to explain his significance.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Maria Callas seem unsuited to teach a master class? In what ways does she bring out the best in the students? Explain your viewpoint using textual examples.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)