|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
2. What is the name of Maria's singing teacher?
3. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
4. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
5. What does Maria call her first student?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
2. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
3. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
4. What is Maria's definition of that "something special" a singer has that sets her off from the crowd?
5. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
6. Describe Lady Macbeth and the stage direction for Verdi's Letter Scene.
7. What does Maria say Onassis wanted her to do about her musical career?
8. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
9. How does Maria say she felt during her great performances?
10. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maria's marriage to Battista. Why does Maria tire of him once she has become famous and successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of this play and identify the props used. How do the props help reveal Maria Callas' character?
Essay Topic 3
Maria says she will feel repaid if her students sing properly and honestly. Discuss how she has tried to teach that lesson to Sophie, Tony, and Sharon. Was she successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)