|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
2. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
3. What range does Sophie sing?
4. What is Sophie lacking when Maria asks her to take notes on the scene?
5. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maria's definition of that "something special" a singer has that sets her off from the crowd?
2. What happens when Maria leaves the stage to show Sharon how to make an entrance?
3. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
4. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
5. How does Maria say she felt during her great performances?
6. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
7. What is Maria's response to Sharon's criticisms?
8. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
9. Describe Maria's memory of her marriage to Battista.
10. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Maria's memories give background to help us understand her life and career. Which memory do you find most helpful in understanding Maria?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)