|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
2. What is Manny's job?
3. Who says "know your limitations" in Act I?
4. In Act I, Maria complains that the theater is too:
5. What nickname does Onassis have for Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
2. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
3. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
4. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
5. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
6. What happened during Maria's last performance at La Scala?
7. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
8. What advice does Maria give to Sharon about her performance even before she begins to sing?
9. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
10. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's reaction to Tony when he first comes on stage. Does Tony's character get preferential treatment because Maria finds him handsome? Why does she want to send him home? In what ways is her opinion of him changed once he sings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of this play and identify the props used. How do the props help reveal Maria Callas' character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)