Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria imitate about Onassis?
2. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
3. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
4. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
5. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
2. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
3. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
4. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
5. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
6. Describe Tony's character.
7. Describe Sharon Graham.
8. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
9. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
10. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sharon's character. What does she expect to receive from the master class? How does Maria's criticism change that expectation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maria's philosophy about having presence, a signature or a look. What criticism does she have of the other characters' lack of a look?' Can you tell what kind of presence she has? Provide a few examples to explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Maria's memories give background to help us understand her life and career. Which memory do you find most helpful in understanding Maria?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)