|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maria Callas' passion?
2. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
3. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
4. Who returns her music score to Sophie in Act I?
5. What range does Sophie sing?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Maria's aria ends, what is the back stage lit up as and what does Maria remember?
2. Describe how Sharon insults Maria after she's been criticized.
3. Describe Maria's final words of wisdom in the master class.
4. What is Maria's definition of that "something special" a singer has that sets her off from the crowd?
5. Describe Sharon Graham.
6. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
7. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
8. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
9. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
10. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Manny. Besides playing the piano, what other functions does he serve in the play? Use one or two textual examples to explain his significance.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Maria's memories give background to help us understand her life and career. Which memory do you find most helpful in understanding Maria?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)