|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
2. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
3. What does Maria request during Act I from the stage hand?
4. How many acts are there in the play Master Class?
5. What does Maria tell Manny about her sense of humor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
2. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
3. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
4. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
5. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
6. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
7. Describe how Sharon insults Maria after she's been criticized.
8. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
9. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
10. Describe Sharon Graham.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
Essay Topic 2
In Act II, Maria says, "There is only discipline, technique and Mut." Discuss the examples that Maria gives from her own past that show her implementing these three things in her singing career.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Manny. Besides playing the piano, what other functions does he serve in the play? Use one or two textual examples to explain his significance.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)