|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria Callas teach?
2. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
3. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
4. What does Onassis give to Maria?
5. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
2. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
3. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
4. What advice does Maria give to Sharon about her performance even before she begins to sing?
5. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
6. In what ways does Maria engage with the audience at the beginning of the play?
7. What is Sharon's reaction to Maria's criticism of her singing?
8. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
9. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
10. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tony and Sharon's musical performances. Which seems better and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's relationship with Aristotle Onassis. Does Maria seem to be controlled by him? What is the decision that she makes because of Onassis' preferences?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)