|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acts are there in the play Master Class?
2. What is Onassis' business?
3. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
4. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
5. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience learn of Onassis' reaction to Maria's pregnancy?
2. What is Sharon's reaction to Maria's criticism of her singing?
3. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
4. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
5. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
6. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
7. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
8. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
9. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
10. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maria says she will feel repaid if her students sing properly and honestly. Discuss how she has tried to teach that lesson to Sophie, Tony, and Sharon. Was she successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
Essay Topic 3
In Act II, Maria says, "There is only discipline, technique and Mut." Discuss the examples that Maria gives from her own past that show her implementing these three things in her singing career.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)