|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
2. What is Onassis' business?
3. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
4. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
5. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's memory of her marriage to Battista.
2. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
3. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
4. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
5. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
6. Describe Lady Macbeth and the stage direction for Verdi's Letter Scene.
7. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
8. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
9. What story does Maria tell when Sophie cannot produce a pencil to take notes on the score?
10. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maria's marriage to Battista. Why does Maria tire of him once she has become famous and successful?
Essay Topic 2
Maria says, " It takes more than a pretty voice to build a career." Analyze the meaning of this statement as it applies to Maria's fame as a opera singer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's reaction to Tony when he first comes on stage. Does Tony's character get preferential treatment because Maria finds him handsome? Why does she want to send him home? In what ways is her opinion of him changed once he sings?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)