Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria imitate about Onassis?
2. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
3. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
4. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
5. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
2. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
3. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
4. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
5. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
6. Describe Tony's character.
7. Describe Sharon Graham.
8. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
9. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
10. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
Describe Maria's reaction to Tony when he first comes on stage. Does Tony's character get preferential treatment because Maria finds him handsome? Why does she want to send him home? In what ways is her opinion of him changed once he sings?
In Act II, Maria says, "There is only discipline, technique and Mut." Discuss the examples that Maria gives from her own past that show her implementing these three things in her singing career.
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)