|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
2. What does Maria tell the audience they should not do during Act I?
3. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
4. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
5. Who is dressed in a custom pantsuit and expensive accessories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
2. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
3. Describe how Sharon insults Maria after she's been criticized.
4. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
5. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
6. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
7. How does Maria say she felt during her great performances?
8. What does being called "La Divina" mean to Maria?
9. What is Sharon's reaction to Maria's criticism of her singing?
10. Describe Tony's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sharon criticizes Maria for her poor teaching. Do you agree or disagree with her? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In Act II, Maria says, "There is only discipline, technique and Mut." Discuss the examples that Maria gives from her own past that show her implementing these three things in her singing career.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sharon's character. What does she expect to receive from the master class? How does Maria's criticism change that expectation?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)