|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Manny appear on stage in Act I?
2. What does Maria tell Sophie to do before she sings?
3. What range does Sophie sing?
4. What is Manny's job?
5. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
2. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
3. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
4. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
5. Describe Maria's physical appearance at the height of her career.
6. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
7. What happened during Maria's last performance at La Scala?
8. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
9. Describe Tony's character.
10. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Maria Callas seem unsuited to teach a master class? In what ways does she bring out the best in the students? Explain your viewpoint using textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)