Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria imitate about Onassis?
2. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
3. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
4. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
5. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
2. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
3. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
4. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
5. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
6. Describe Tony's character.
7. Describe Sharon Graham.
8. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
9. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
10. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
Essay Topic 1
Maria says, " It takes more than a pretty voice to build a career." Analyze the meaning of this statement as it applies to Maria's fame as a opera singer.
Essay Topic 2
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)