|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Onassis from?
2. What does Sophie wish to get from Maria?
3. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
4. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
5. What does Maria tell the audience they should not do during Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
2. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
3. Describe Maria's memory of her marriage to Battista.
4. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
5. What does being called "La Divina" mean to Maria?
6. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
7. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
8. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
9. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
10. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tony and Sharon's musical performances. Which seems better and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maria's philosophy about having presence, a signature or a look. What criticism does she have of the other characters' lack of a look?' Can you tell what kind of presence she has? Provide a few examples to explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)