|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening with the lights at the beginning of Act I?
2. What is La Scala?
3. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
4. What is Sophie lacking when Maria asks her to take notes on the scene?
5. Who is startled by Sophie's lack of knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Maria engage with the audience at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
3. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
4. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
5. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
6. What does being called "La Divina" mean to Maria?
7. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
8. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
9. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
10. What good news does Maria tell Onassis in Act II?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Manny. Besides playing the piano, what other functions does he serve in the play? Use one or two textual examples to explain his significance.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Maria's philosophy about having presence, a signature or a look. What criticism does she have of the other characters' lack of a look?' Can you tell what kind of presence she has? Provide a few examples to explain your viewpoint.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)