|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
2. What role did Maria lose to another student when she was young?
3. What does Maria say about her accompanist's appearance?
4. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
5. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good news does Maria tell Onassis in Act II?
2. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
3. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
4. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
5. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
6. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
7. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
8. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
9. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
10. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
Essay Topic 2
Maria values deep emotion in a singer. What examples can you provide that show her feeling great emotion in her singing career and in her teaching?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sharon's character. What does she expect to receive from the master class? How does Maria's criticism change that expectation?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)