|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria tells the audience it's not a performance but a:
2. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
3. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
4. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
5. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
2. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
3. When Sophie begins to sing, what does Maria begin thinking of?
4. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
5. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
6. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
7. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
8. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
9. What is Maria's response to Sharon's criticisms?
10. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Maria's memories give background to help us understand her life and career. Which memory do you find most helpful in understanding Maria?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Manny. Besides playing the piano, what other functions does he serve in the play? Use one or two textual examples to explain his significance.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)