|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say about her accompanist's appearance?
2. In Act I, Maria complains that the theater is too:
3. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
4. What does Maria call her first student?
5. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
2. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
3. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
4. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
5. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
6. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
7. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
8. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
9. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
10. What story does Maria tell when Sophie cannot produce a pencil to take notes on the score?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
Essay Topic 2
Maria values deep emotion in a singer. What examples can you provide that show her feeling great emotion in her singing career and in her teaching?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sharon's character. What does she expect to receive from the master class? How does Maria's criticism change that expectation?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)