|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
2. What is Maria Callas' passion?
3. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
4. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
5. What nickname does Onassis have for Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
2. How did Maria learn to be disciplined about music during the war?
3. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
4. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
5. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
6. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
7. Describe Maria's memory of her marriage to Battista.
8. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
9. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
10. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sharon's character. What does she expect to receive from the master class? How does Maria's criticism change that expectation?
Essay Topic 3
Sharon criticizes Maria for her poor teaching. Do you agree or disagree with her? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)