|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
2. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
3. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
4. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
5. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
2. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
3. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
4. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
5. Describe Sharon Graham.
6. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
7. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
8. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
9. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
10. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Maria criticize Sharon about her gown when she says everyone should have a special "look" so that the audience will remember you. Do you think Sharon fulfills this requirement but still gets criticized for it by Maria?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's reaction to Tony when he first comes on stage. Does Tony's character get preferential treatment because Maria finds him handsome? Why does she want to send him home? In what ways is her opinion of him changed once he sings?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)