|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Maria look like when she first met Battista?
(a) Young, unattractive, and heavier.
(b) Older and beautiful.
(c) She had a broken leg.
2. At the end of the play, what does Maria say is her reward?
(a) When singers sing properly and honestly.
(b) Meeting wonderful students.
(c) Getting finished for the day.
(d) Her paycheck.
3. What does Maria say a performance is?
(a) Love affair between artist and audience.
(b) A test of a stage director's authority.
(c) The best way to showcase a symphony.
(d) Struggle between the artist and the audience.
4. Who is Battista Meneghini?
(a) Maria's husband.
(b) Maria's uncle.
(c) Maria's father.
(d) Maria's cousin.
5. What prop does Maria say Sharon should have to sing her aria?
6. Why does Sharon not return to the stage?
(a) She was called to another class.
(b) She had to catch a train.
(c) Her feelings are hurt by Maria's criticism.
(d) She lost her music.
7. Who calls Tony "Mr. Tony Tight Pants?"
8. Who does Maria sing to that doesn't like opera?
9. Who says that the life of a singer is a difficult one?
(a) Manny's teacher.
(b) Lady Macbeth.
10. Who says, "applause is what we live on"?
11. What does Maria criticize about Sharon's physical appearance?
(a) Clothing choice.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her lipstick color.
(d) The headband she is wearing.
12. What is used to stop the applause for Maria's final performance?
(a) Drum roll.
(b) Louder music.
(c) The fire curtain.
(d) A megaphone.
13. Who says "Never move on your applause"?
14. In Act II, who says the students will be able to concentrate on the drama of the moment?
(d) Someone in the audience.
15. According to Maria, what has her art done for the world?
(a) Made it feel dangerous.
(b) Made it worse.
(c) Given it too many good singers.
(d) Made it a better place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maria call Ari?
2. What does Maria tell Sharon to do before she's even sung a note?
3. Who says, "It takes more than a pretty voice to build a career"?
4. Who leaves the stage to find Sharon?
5. Who says "they tear my costumes"?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)