|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria tell the audience after Sharon has left the stage?
(a) She loves Sharon's recording.
(b) She is an accelerated singer.
(c) That all types of guidance are necessary.
(d) She is jealous of Sharon.
2. Who does Maria tell to "Bite into those words. Spit them out." in Act II?
(b) The audience.
3. What aria does the audience hear Maria singing in Act II?
(a) Lady Demetri's Wedding Scene.
(b) Lady McBeth's Letter Scene.
(c) A farewell scene.
(d) A death scene.
4. What does Battista plead for from Maria?
(a) To be left alone.
(b) More time at home.
(d) A declaration of her love.
5. In Act II, who says the students will be able to concentrate on the drama of the moment?
(a) Someone in the audience.
6. Who ignores the audience at the beginning of Act II?
(d) Stage hand.
7. Who is Tony?
(a) Student tenor.
(b) Friend of Manny's.
(c) Cousin of Maria's.
(d) Soprano student.
8. Who says "There are no short cuts in art, no easy ways" when Sharon asks if she should sing her aria again?
9. What happens to Maria's voice when she sings Sharon's Lady Macbeth aria?
(a) She gets laryngitis.
(b) She gets a sore throat.
(c) She hits every note.
(d) It cracks and shakes.
10. Who says that art is domination?
11. Who says Sharon is too sensitive for such a tough business?
12. What is Maria's response when Tony reveals his ambitions?
(a) She shrugs.
(b) She asks him more questions.
(c) She applauds him.
(d) To ask for a glass of water.
13. Maria tells Sharon that her role demands:
(a) Shy demeanor.
(b) Quiet attitude.
(c) Complete demeanor.
14. What does Maria define the audience as?
(c) The enemy.
15. What year did Maria make her debut?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the bouquet of flowers located?
2. Who is Sharon Graham?
3. How does Maria feel about Battista?
4. How does Maria respond to Manny's information about who left the flowers?
5. Who reminds Maria of Sharon's name when she forgets?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)