|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "This is opera, not a voice recital." in Act II?
2. What does Maria say a performance is?
(a) Love affair between artist and audience.
(b) A test of a stage director's authority.
(c) The best way to showcase a symphony.
(d) Struggle between the artist and the audience.
3. Who refuses to be sent home?
(c) Stage hand.
4. What does Tony hope to receive from Maria?
(b) Copies of music.
5. Who is Battista Meneghini?
(a) Maria's father.
(b) Maria's cousin.
(c) Maria's uncle.
(d) Maria's husband.
6. Who says Sharon is too sensitive for such a tough business?
7. Who calls Tony "Mr. Tony Tight Pants?"
8. Who does Maria tell she has courage because she came back to the master class?
(a) Joan Sutherland.
(d) Lady Macbeth.
9. Where is the bouquet of flowers located?
(a) On the piano.
(b) On Maria's chair.
(c) In Maria's dressing room.
(d) In a vase on a table.
10. Who does Maria tell to "Bite into those words. Spit them out." in Act II?
(d) The audience.
11. What does Maria tell Sharon to do before she's even sung a note?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Wear different shoes.
(c) Comb her hair.
(d) Re-enter the stage as Lady McBeth.
12. What is Maria's response when Tony reveals his ambitions?
(a) She applauds him.
(b) To ask for a glass of water.
(c) She asks him more questions.
(d) She shrugs.
13. Why does Sharon say she did not return earlier?
(a) She was momentarily sick.
(b) She went to get some soda.
(c) Another teacher wanted to speak with her.
(d) She had to file her nails.
14. Who is the first character to enter the stage in Act II?
15. How is the stage set in Act II?
(a) As a living room.
(b) As a bedroom.
(c) With many props.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prop does Maria say Sharon should have to sing her aria?
2. What year did Maria make her debut?
3. What does Maria chastise Tony about?
4. What is Lady Macbeth's expression as stated in the entrance scene directions?
5. What does Sharon say when she returns to the stage?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)