|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
(b) Breathe into a bag.
(c) Have some water.
(d) The Italian verse.
2. What does Maria say about her accompanist's appearance?
(a) His hat is just the right touch.
(b) His shirt is vibrant.
(c) She loves it.
(d) He doesn't have a look.
3. What didn't Maria have as she walked back and forth to the conservatory during World War II?
(a) A good attitude.
(c) Proper shoes.
4. What is Manny's job?
(b) Stage hand.
(d) Music teacher.
5. What is Onassis' business?
(c) Wine seller.
(d) Shipping magnate.
6. What does Maria request during Act I from the stage hand?
(b) Water, cushion, footstool.
(c) Nail filer.
(d) Bagel and cream cheese.
7. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
(a) It has no value.
(b) It's over-valued.
(c) It's important to singing.
(d) She hates to project.
8. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
(a) Stop performing and have his baby.
(b) Become a famous cellist.
(c) Sing more often.
(d) Learn to act.
9. Who walks to the edge of the stage in the beginning of Act I?
(a) Audience member.
(c) Stage hand.
10. When does Manny appear on stage in Act I?
(b) After Maria.
(c) After Sophie.
11. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
12. What does Maria tell Manny about her sense of humor?
(a) It is always respectful.
(b) She doesn't have one.
(c) He will never get it.
(d) He will come to understand it.
13. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
(b) Long breaks from classes.
(d) Stage presence.
14. What does Maria tell the audience they should not do during Act I?
15. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
(a) That her voice is too high.
(b) That she doesn't like her shoes.
(c) That she doesn't fully feel the music.
(d) That she is too flamboyant for the stage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
2. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
3. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
4. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
5. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)