|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
(a) She lacks both.
(b) She doesn't need them.
(c) They are over-rated.
(d) They are the foundation of a proper operatic career.
2. How does Maria describe herself physically as a young student?
(a) Fat and unattractive.
(c) Too thin.
3. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
(d) Stage hand.
4. What is Onassis' business?
(c) Shipping magnate.
(d) Wine seller.
5. What does Sophie wish to get from Maria?
(a) Some temperment.
(d) Sheet music.
6. What does Maria imitate about Onassis?
(a) His good manners.
(b) His singing.
(c) His vulgar speech and crude attitude.
(d) His sense of humor.
7. What is La Scala?
(a) Italian clothing designer.
(b) Italian footwear.
(c) Milan opera house.
(d) Famous restaurant.
8. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
(a) Stop performing and have his baby.
(b) Sing more often.
(c) Become a famous cellist.
(d) Learn to act.
9. Who does Manny acknowledge in the audience?
(a) Critics and reviewers.
10. What nickname does Onassis have for Maria?
(d) My love.
11. What is Manny's job?
(b) Stage hand.
(c) Music teacher.
12. Who returns her music score to Sophie in Act I?
(a) Stage hand.
(c) Another student.
13. Who walks to the edge of the stage in the beginning of Act I?
(b) Audience member.
(d) Stage hand.
14. What does Maria say about her accompanist's appearance?
(a) She loves it.
(b) He doesn't have a look.
(c) His hat is just the right touch.
(d) His shirt is vibrant.
15. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) Sophie's former teachers.
(b) Neighbors of Maria's.
(c) Juilliard adminstrators.
(d) World's great sopranos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose nickname is La Divina?
2. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
3. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
4. What does Onassis give to Maria?
5. What is Maria Callas' passion?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)