|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
(a) That she has good musical range.
(b) That she does not have style.
(c) That she likes her appearance.
(d) That she will be a great performer.
2. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
(a) She hates to project.
(b) It's over-valued.
(c) It's important to singing.
(d) It has no value.
3. What does Maria tell Manny about her sense of humor?
(a) It is always respectful.
(b) He will come to understand it.
(c) She doesn't have one.
(d) He will never get it.
4. When does Manny appear on stage in Act I?
(a) After Sophie.
(d) After Maria.
5. What is Manny's job?
(a) Music teacher.
(d) Stage hand.
6. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
7. What does Maria Callas teach?
(a) Opera Master Class.
(b) Fashion history.
(d) Piano performance.
8. What is Maria Callas' passion?
(c) Greek food.
9. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) Juilliard adminstrators.
(b) Neighbors of Maria's.
(c) World's great sopranos.
(d) Sophie's former teachers.
10. Maria tells the audience it's not a performance but a:
(d) Group activity.
11. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
(a) Have some water.
(c) Breathe into a bag.
(d) The Italian verse.
12. Who is Sophie de Palma?
(a) Maria's student.
(b) Manny's girlfriend.
(c) Maria's daughter.
(d) Maria's sister.
13. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
14. What is happening with the lights at the beginning of Act I?
(a) They are broken.
(b) They are still up.
(c) One light is missing.
(d) It is totally dark.
15. Whose nickname is La Divina?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
2. What is Sophie lacking when Maria asks her to take notes on the scene?
3. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
4. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
5. What range does Sophie sing?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)