|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
(a) It has no value.
(b) It's over-valued.
(c) She hates to project.
(d) It's important to singing.
2. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
(a) That she doesn't fully feel the music.
(b) That her voice is too high.
(c) That she doesn't like her shoes.
(d) That she is too flamboyant for the stage.
3. Who can only sing one note before being interrupted by Maria in Act I?
4. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
(a) School children.
(b) Other students.
(c) Famous dignitaries.
(d) Her teachers.
5. What didn't Maria have as she walked back and forth to the conservatory during World War II?
(b) Proper shoes.
(d) A good attitude.
6. Who walks to the edge of the stage in the beginning of Act I?
(a) Stage hand.
(b) Audience member.
7. What is the relationship between Maria and Aristotle Onassis?
(b) Pen pals.
(c) Business associates.
8. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
9. What does Maria tell Manny about her sense of humor?
(a) It is always respectful.
(b) He will come to understand it.
(c) He will never get it.
(d) She doesn't have one.
10. What is Sophie lacking when Maria asks her to take notes on the scene?
(c) A pencil.
11. What does Onassis give to Maria?
(b) Tips on travel.
(c) Musical stardom.
12. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
13. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) Juilliard adminstrators.
(b) Sophie's former teachers.
(c) Neighbors of Maria's.
(d) World's great sopranos.
14. What is happening with the lights at the beginning of Act I?
(a) They are broken.
(b) One light is missing.
(c) They are still up.
(d) It is totally dark.
15. What does Sophie announce she will sing in Act I?
(a) Music from La Boheme.
(c) Country music.
(d) Aria from La Sonnambula.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Onassis from?
2. What does Sophie wish to get from Maria?
3. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
4. What does Maria request during Act I from the stage hand?
5. Who returns her music score to Sophie in Act I?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)