|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda say one cannot choose?
2. What does Solness say he can't live his life chained to?
3. What does Hilda say Solness was sent into the world with?
4. Who is Solness afraid will stop obeying him?
5. What does Solness say him and his wife will never have?
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism does Ibsen use in the play? Is symbolism more important in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Ibsen greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book or play that you think was influenced by the The Master Builder and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)