|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solness say made him as a builder?
2. What does Solnesss say Ragnar will do given the chance?
3. What does Solness say he has given up?
4. What does Solness say him and his wife will never have?
5. What has Hilda been exploring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Solness and Aline stay with each other if they are so unhappy? Is their unhappiness solely to do with the death of the children? What was their life like before the death of their children?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ibsen use only one location? How does he use the characters to express a life beyond this location? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character? How do the students think the story's setting would change if it was a novel?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)