|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solness say Aline had a talent for building?
2. What does Solness tell Aline he does not want?
3. What does Solness use to write on Ragnar's drawings?
4. Why did Hilda not contact Solness before?
5. What does Solness say he needs in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1890s? How does Ibsen express these concerns?
2. How would Ibsen have to change the play if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ibsen use only one location? How does he use the characters to express a life beyond this location? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character? How do the students think the story's setting would change if it was a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Was the generational gap expressed in the Master Builder particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)