|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda call their dream home?
2. What has Hilda been exploring?
3. What does Ragnar bring in for Solness?
4. What does Hilda say is was not a simple to do?
5. Which of the following words does Solness use to describe the inside of the house?
Essay Topic 1
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the play's structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ibsen use only one location? How does he use the characters to express a life beyond this location? How is the location used to express elements such as theme and character? How do the students think the story's setting would change if it was a novel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)