|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda think Solness is bad at?
2. What does Hilda say she wants to sleep as sound as?
3. What does Hilda say the school girls carried?
4. What does Hilda say she dreamed she was falling down?
5. What did the school girls shout up at Solness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Herdal say he has noticed about Aline?
2. What do Solness and Hilda say about vikings?
3. How does Solness say he reacted to the boys' death?
4. Why does Solness say he built the tower in Hilda's hometown?
5. Why does Aline say Hilda does not know Solness?
6. Why does Hilda say she has to go away?
7. What does Solness say about Aline's talent?
8. What does Solness say is the point of the story?
9. What do Kaia and Ragnar urge Brovik to do?
10. What does Solness accuse Dr. Herdal of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1890s? How does Ibsen express these concerns?
2. How would Ibsen have to change the play if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? How important is it for a writer to draw from their own experiences?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)