Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hilda think dislikes her?
2. What chair does Solness lean against?
3. Why does Hilda say she dislikes the word duty?
4. Where did Dr. Herdal meet Hilda?
5. What do the young couple want built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Solness promise Hilda they will do everyday?
2. Why does Aline say Hilda does not know Solness?
3. Why does Solness not want to give Ragnar more work?
4. How does Solness react when Dr. Herdal asks about his relationship with Kaia?
5. Why does Hilda think Solness is mad?
6. What does Hilda think Solness suffers from?
7. How does Solness say he reacted to the boys' death?
8. Why does Solness say he cannot stay with Aline?
9. What does Aline say she blames herself for?
10. What does Solness think of Hilda's story?
Essay Topic 1
Ibsen greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book or play that you think was influenced by the The Master Builder and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the play's structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)