|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda tell Solness he did many times to her?
2. What does Dr. Herdal say happened to the grim old robber's castle?
3. What is Mrs. Solness doing in the room?
4. What chair does Solness lean against?
5. What color jacket does Solness wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Solness claim his fantasies show?
2. How does Solness think his luck will turn?
3. Why does Aline say Solness should not go up the tower?
4. Why does Solness get angry with Ragnar?
5. Why does Solness say he built the tower in Hilda's hometown?
6. What does Solness say is the point of the story?
7. How does Solness react when Dr. Herdal asks about his relationship with Kaia?
8. Why does Solness say he does not tell his wife about his situation?
9. What small talk do Hilda and Solness engage in?
10. What story does Solness tell Dr. Herdal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a play and a prose piece in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Why do Solness and Aline stay with each other if they are so unhappy? Is their unhappiness solely to do with the death of the children? What was their life like before the death of their children?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)