|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Solness suggest that Hilda makes the rounds?
2. What did Solness promise Hilda he would buy her in Spain?
3. What does Kaia suggest Brovik does to feel better?
4. What does Brovik not want the children to know?
5. What did the town give in honor of Solness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hilda say she has to go away?
2. What does Solness say about the crack in the chimney?
3. What does Solness think of Hilda's story?
4. What does Dr. Herdal say he has noticed about Aline?
5. What story does Solness tell Dr. Herdal?
6. Why does Hilda say she stays away from her father?
7. What does Solness say he will do if he climbs the tower?
8. Why does Solness get angry with Ragnar?
9. What does Solness say about God in the final act?
10. How does Hilda offer to help Solness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the Play. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)