|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the family think of Ragnar's drawings?
2. Where does Hilda say the other ladies went?
3. What is over the console table?
4. Who does Solness say he owes a debt to?
5. What country did Solness say he would carry Hilda off to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Solness tell Kaia?
2. What does Solness say is the point of the story?
3. How does Solness reassure Kaia?
4. What does Dr. Herdal say he has noticed about Aline?
5. Why does Hilda think Solness is mad?
6. How does Hilda react to Solness calling her a bird of prey?
7. What does Solness persuade Kaia to do?
8. How does Aline respond to Solness' pointed comment?
9. Why does Solness not want to see Ragnar?
10. What does Solness think of Hilda's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism does Ibsen use in the play? Is symbolism more important in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Was the generational gap expressed in the Master Builder particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Ibsen greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book or play that you think was influenced by the The Master Builder and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)