|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What means orange in the original Appelsinia?
2. What chair does Solness lean against?
3. Whose portfolio is Solness reading?
4. What does Hilda's father do for a living?
5. Who does Brovik say he wants to have it out with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does act 2, part 1 begin?
2. How does Solness know Hilda?
3. What does Solness say about the crack in the chimney?
4. How does Hilda offer to help Solness?
5. What story does Solness tell Dr. Herdal?
6. What complaints does Hilda have about Aline?
7. Why does Hilda say she stays away from her father?
8. What does Hilda say she remembers about Solness?
9. What does Solness promise Hilda they will do everyday?
10. Why does Solness say he does not tell his wife about his situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the play's structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How can such guilt destroy one's life? How can someone recover from such feelings of guilt?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)