|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hilda say she dislikes the word duty?
2. Why does Hilda not want to go to the shops?
3. Who does Hilda think dislikes her?
4. What does Hilda say the school girls carried?
5. Where does Mrs. Solness say she must go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does everyone react when Solness falls from the top of the tower?
2. What complaints does Hilda have about Aline?
3. Why does Aline say she is glad to move to a new house?
4. Why does Solness get angry with Ragnar?
5. What does Solness tell Ragnar about his new commission?
6. How does Solness say he reacted to the boys' death?
7. What does Hilda claim is the real reason she has come to see Solness?
8. Why does Solness not want to see Ragnar?
9. How did Solness' children die?
10. What does Solness persuade Kaia to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism does Ibsen use in the play? Is symbolism more important in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? How important is it for a writer to draw from their own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Was the generational gap expressed in the Master Builder particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)