|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hilda tell Solness he did many times to her?
2. Why does Dr. Herbal think that Solness should not be afraid?
3. What does Hilda say the school girls carried?
4. How does Ragnar know the couple?
5. What is the name of Knut's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Solness not want to give Ragnar more work?
2. How does act 2, part 1 begin?
3. Why does Solness say he built the tower in Hilda's hometown?
4. What does Solness tell Ragnar about his new commission?
5. What complaints does Hilda have about Aline?
6. How does Aline react when Hilda tries to embrace her?
7. How does Solness make Kaia nervous?
8. How did Aline get over the death of her sons?
9. What story does Solness tell Dr. Herdal?
10. How does Hilda offer to help Solness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1890s? How does Ibsen express these concerns?
2. How would Ibsen have to change the play if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a play and a prose piece in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)