|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solness think Ragnar wants to stay at his company?
2. Where was Solness raised?
3. Why does Kaia say she all always takes off her shade when Solness comes in to the office?
4. What does Solness say someone will come and say to him?
5. What does Hilda say she wants to sleep as sound as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Solness say he reacted to the boys' death?
2. How does Solness know Hilda?
3. Why does Aline say she is glad to move to a new house?
4. Why does Solness not want to give Ragnar more work?
5. Why does Hilda think Solness is mad?
6. How does Aline respond to Solness' pointed comment?
7. What does Solness claim his fantasies show?
8. What does Solness say about Aline's talent?
9. What does Solness think of Hilda's story?
10. How does Hilda react to Solness calling her a bird of prey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism does Ibsen use in the play? Is symbolism more important in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Was the generational gap expressed in the Master Builder particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)