|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is over the console table?
2. What does Solness think sooner or later must turn?
3. Who does Solness say Aline has become shy with?
4. What kind of drink is on the table?
5. Where does Mrs. Solness say she must go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilda say she remembers about Solness?
2. What does Solness tell Kaia?
3. Why does Solness not want to see Ragnar?
4. Why has Ragnar not come to work?
5. Why does Hilda say she has to go away?
6. Why was it harder for Aline to get over the destruction of her house?
7. What does Solness say about the crack in the chimney?
8. Why does Solness get angry with Ragnar?
9. How does Solness think he has created his meeting with Hilda?
10. How does Solness make Kaia nervous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Solness and Aline stay with each other if they are so unhappy? Is their unhappiness solely to do with the death of the children? What was their life like before the death of their children?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the play. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism does Ibsen use in the play? Is symbolism more important in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)