|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Solness say Aline has become shy with?
2. Where did the town play music to celebrate the building of Solness' tower?
3. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
4. What is over the console table?
5. What does Dr. Herdal say he likes listening to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Kaia and Ragnar urge Brovik to do?
2. What complaints does Hilda have about Aline?
3. Why does Aline say Solness should not go up the tower?
4. What does Solness promise Hilda they will do everyday?
5. How does Solness react when Hilda asks him if he gets dizzy when he climbs up towers?
6. How did Aline get over the death of her sons?
7. How does Solness know Hilda?
8. How does Hilda react to Solness calling her a bird of prey?
9. What does Solness persuade Kaia to do?
10. What does Dr. Herdal say he has noticed about Aline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term modernism? What are the conventions of modernism and how is it different to post-modernism? In ways is Master Builder a modernist text?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Solness and Aline stay with each other if they are so unhappy? Is their unhappiness solely to do with the death of the children? What was their life like before the death of their children?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Was the generational gap expressed in the Master Builder particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)