|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Peter Bailey call Malcolm X?
2. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X meet for the first and only time in their lives?
3. When was the NAACP founded?
4. Whom did the Introduction name as the most persuasive person in pointing out the hypocrisies of the Declaration of Independence?
5. In what year did "sit-ins" become an action used by the civil rights movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What meaning did the meeting between Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. have on the black freedom movement?
2. According to Cone, what did the black middle class believe in?
3. How did Malcolm justify his stand that blacks should not integrate with whites?
4. Why was Malcolm portrayed as a "messiah of hate"?
5. Discuss Malcolm's time at school.
6. What metaphor has always dominated by King's writings and speeches?
7. To whom was Malcolm a speaker to the truth regarding black and white relations in America?
8. Why did King realize the problem with black's self-respect?
9. What were the problems associated with Du Bois' theory of "twoness"?
10. How did Cone show Martin Luther King, Sr.'s mindset on what a boy and a man were?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cone stated that both King and Malcolm failed to acknowledge sexism and classism as part of their race toward freedom. How, and why, did both King and Malcolm ignore the importance of addressing both classism and sexism within the civil rights movement?
Essay Topic 2
Based upon the facts that Cone presented, do you think that racism today is different from racism from the time of King and Malcolm? How? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the information in the book, who do you think had the greatest impact on the civil rights or black freedom movement? Why?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)