|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Martin Luther King, Jr. first visit Montgomery, Alabama?
2. What was the name of Malcolm X's wife?
3. On what date did Martin Luther King, Jr. give his famous "I Have A Dream" speech?
4. What did Malcolm copy from to teach himself to read and write?
5. What was the name of the 15-year-old high school student arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white passenger before Rosa Parks did so?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cone show Martin Luther King, Sr.'s mindset on what a boy and a man were?
2. What did King believe was necessary for all people to be free in America?
3. Why did King realize the problem with black's self-respect?
4. What metaphor has always dominated by King's writings and speeches?
5. Why was Malcolm portrayed as a "messiah of hate"?
6. What did black leaders believe was necessary to gain "political and economic benefits"?
7. What are the two distinct religious traditions in the African-American community?
8. What happened to King, at the age of six, concerning the "ugly manifestations of segregation"?
9. What were the issues that nationalists faced?
10. What were the problems associated with the media's portrayal of King and Malcolm as adversaries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon the material presented in the book, what do you think were the limitations of both King and Malcolm X? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Cone dedicated an entire section of his book to the sexism that existed within the black freedom movement. How did Cone justify Malcolm and King's realized, or unrealized, sexist stand that they took against black women?
Essay Topic 3
Cone sets readers up to ponder a question from the first time the book is laid in their hands. Therefore, was the civil rights movement an American Dream or an American Nightmare? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)