|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cone, what did Malcolm alienate in Chapter 6?
2. When did Malcolm announce his break with the Nation of Islam?
(a) July 4, 1967.
(b) April 26, 1969.
(c) March 8, 1964.
(d) June 17, 1971.
3. What was the "most important similarity between Martin and Malcolm"?
(a) Their honor.
(b) Their history.
(c) Their honesty.
(d) Their goal.
4. What did Malcolm claim people needed in order to "go[ing] anywhere in this world"?
5. Who wrote "And the Walls Came Tumbling Down"?
(a) Emily Masterson.
(b) Elijah Muhammad.
(c) W.E.B. DuBois.
(d) Ralph Abernathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, what happened when he watched Malcolm on television? (Chapter 9)
2. How did Cone characterize the media's representations of the "black self" in the 1950s?
3. Who said, "Sometimes I have dared to dream"?
4. What did Malcolm compare himself to when he spoke of his sinking to "the very bottom of the American white man's society"?
5. According to King, "Nobody could ride your back unless" it is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Malcolm's "The Ballot or the Bullet" speech an initial attempt for him to do?
2. Why did Cone state that the break between Malcolm and Muhammad "could not be avoided"?
3. What was King surprised to find out about urban youth's mindset regarding the civil rights movement following the signing of the Voting Rights Bill?
4. According to Cone, how did King proclaim and live the American dream?
5. What was the "doctrine of doom of white America" based upon?
6. According to Malcolm, what problem did "color" have on the self-hate that most blacks held?
7. What did Cone decide was the greatest limitation for both King and Malcolm?
8. Unlike Malcolm, why did King believe in whites?
9. What limited both Malcolm and King from recognizing the connection between racism and sexism?
10. What did the imagery of the "bullet" and the "ballot" represent for Malcolm?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)